which feeler gauge

4 replies to this topic
  • yamahasocal450

Posted September 27, 2003 - 07:24 PM


ok i think im going to expand my mechanical abilities to adjusting valves, but i see the only tool i need is the feeler gauge, so my question is what kind should i get, and do i need anything else like the valve spring compressors and stuff like that :D thanks guys i appreciate it :D :)

  • jasowiii

Posted September 27, 2003 - 08:32 PM


I just did mine for the first time.

If you choose only to adjust the lash you will not need to commpress the springs. If you need to adjust any you will have to pull your cams, I used a permanent marker to mark links on the timing chain and corresponding points on each sprocket so that it was easier to reassemble.
I used a real strong rare earth magnet to pull off each valve cap and get to the shims underneath, Be careful, they stick to the inside of the caps and I dropped one... If you intend on working on the seats or checking your springs you will need to compress the springs for disassembly. Use planty of "Engine Assembly" grease when you reinstall the cams and torque them properly before movement or you can score the bearing journals.

FYI 0.001" = 0.03937mm

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • holeshot426

Posted September 29, 2003 - 10:32 AM


Last I checked .001"=.0254mm.....

  • GrahamO

Posted September 29, 2003 - 10:45 AM


1mm = .03937"

.001" = .0254mm

  • jasowiii

Posted September 29, 2003 - 07:31 PM


You got it dave! :D



Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.