wich cams

4 replies to this topic
  • clodeb

Posted November 30, 2011 - 04:16 PM

I own a nice '99 wr 400 but i hate to start it in awkward situation,i mainly ride in wooded area so i want to add a new camshaft with auto decompression like the 2003 450 . My question is, i want to retain low and midrange power...should i go with oem yam wr 2003 cam or buy the Hotcam advertise everywhere on the web.I don't want a hi reving engine with no power down low. Thank you

• GCannon

Posted November 30, 2011 - 05:17 PM

Buy the Hot cam. Your cam chain will fit the sprocket better. The cam timing will be YZ but you line up the dots on the sprocket just like the OEM manual says to do.

Take your time adjusting the valves, hold the cam weight closed when rolling the cam into position to check the shim clearance or the decomp pin will act like you have no clearance. Don't ask me how long it took me to realize this the first time. The lobes are thinner than stock so the feeler Gage will feel different.

Trust me you will love the low to mid range power

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clodeb

Posted December 03, 2011 - 10:32 AM

What happens if i change only the exhaust cam to mainly gain the decomp. option!! and keep the oem intake cam!!!

• GCannon

Posted December 05, 2011 - 02:49 PM

It works great!

• tsorpi

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:54 PM

hot cams says you wont get all the power but it works as i have seen...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.