Gearing, without turning it into a wheelie monster?

14 replies to this topic
  • eflyguy

Posted November 29, 2011 - 08:15 PM

YZ400F

Can't get out of first on most stuff, 2nd and perhaps a bit of 3rd on the long straight bits. Feel like I'm laboring the engine when I'm putzing along at low speed.

Suggested that I drop down one on the front, up 1 or 2 on the back. Not sure what's on there now but wondering if this is the right move?

Thoughts?
..a

• RiderX

Posted November 29, 2011 - 09:23 PM

What gearing are you running currently?

• YamaLink

Posted November 30, 2011 - 06:06 AM

And how much do you weigh?

• Stinger1133

Posted December 01, 2011 - 06:11 PM

Add a flywheel weight if your bike doesnt have one already. I have one on my 426 and it really helps with trail riding and slow speeds plus you will get alittle more traction out of it. Im running a flywheel weight with a 49 tooth rear sprocket and the stock front sprocket. I have no problems out of it now when trying to ride slow in 1st gear.

• eflyguy

Posted December 01, 2011 - 08:12 PM

I have no issue with power, it'll haul my significant mass up any hill at any speed, I just feel like I should be using more of the motor for the speed I'm riding.

I'll pull it out tomorrow and see what's on there now..
..a

• CodyWayne718

Posted December 01, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Different bikes but I went up two in the rear. Didn't make it wheelie any more or any less that I can tell. It is a whole lot better in the Woods thou. Try it and if it doesn't help and you decide to get a FWW your only out $20

• eflyguy

Posted December 02, 2011 - 02:17 PM

14 / 49
I'm 250 before gear.
Can I go any smaller up front without stressing things? I'd rather not get a longer chain (the one that's on now is in very good condition)..
..a

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fast frank

Posted December 02, 2011 - 10:00 PM

I added a flywheel weight and the wings in the carb on my crf 450 it helped a lot the wings seemed to smooth out out the low end and also made it start easier and cruise better, I tried lowering the gearing because first felt to high ( it is) but I ended up changing it back to stock

• Yamiryder

Posted December 03, 2011 - 04:08 PM

Now, i could be wrong, but i THINK that you could run a 13 tooth front sprocket. As of right now, i am running 13/51 on my 450, and i think it's a pretty good combo for the woods and a little bit of track. It doesn't kill me on power either. If you drop a tooth on the front, i wouldn't add any on back until you try it first.

• eflyguy

Posted December 03, 2011 - 05:35 PM

Thanks. I'll check how much adjustment I have then order a 13t.
..a

• fast frank

Posted December 03, 2011 - 09:13 PM

its easier on the chain to add to the back when you are talking about 13 tooth front sprockets your chain will thank you

• eflyguy

Posted December 04, 2011 - 03:29 AM

OK, so 13t not recommended?

That's kind of why I asked. I know what damage can be done by too small front sprocket..
..a

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2011 - 02:49 PM

13's are original equipment on '06 and later YZ450's. It's a practical minimum size, and 13's do wear out noticeably faster than 14's, but they are still usable. Smaller sprockets will wear even faster, and are a bit tougher on the chain, as well as creating extra drag on the chain slider.

Bear this in mind when comparing gearing: The internal gearing of the YZF was changed in '05. The primary in the later bikes is higher by about the equivalent of 1 tooth on the front, so an '06 or so with a 13/49 is about the same as your 400 with a 14/49.

The trouble with lowering your gearing to make it more suitable for trailing is that it reduces top speeds much more than it lowers the minimum operating speeds.

• fast frank

Posted December 04, 2011 - 04:08 PM

good stuff gray, kinda wonder why any bike would come with a 13 but then I figure its just good business,

• eflyguy

Posted December 05, 2011 - 04:47 AM

13's are original equipment on '06 and later YZ450's. It's a practical minimum size, and 13's do wear out noticeably faster than 14's, but they are still usable. Smaller sprockets will wear even faster, and are a bit tougher on the chain, as well as creating extra drag on the chain slider.

Bear this in mind when comparing gearing: The internal gearing of the YZF was changed in '05. The primary in the later bikes is higher by about the equivalent of 1 tooth on the front, so an '06 or so with a 13/49 is about the same as your 400 with a 14/49.

The trouble with lowering your gearing to make it more suitable for trailing is that it reduces top speeds much more than it lowers the minimum operating speeds.

Thanks. I'm not worried about top speed, I've never been in a situation where I've needed more than 3rd. For the type of riding I'll do with my family, the tall first gear won't be an issue, but for the more technical stuff at low speed, I could use it. As long as it won't damage the chain and primary, I'd like to give it a shot.
..a

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.