7 replies to this topic
  • xr600r

Posted April 17, 2001 - 03:50 PM

do any of you guy's use your wr426 for
really tight single-track trails?
how well does this bike handle this type
of riding? is the weight a big factor?

Posted April 17, 2001 - 08:18 PM

The only problem I have is the stock gearing (14/50). I am going to a 13/50 and maybe a 14/53 when I need a new chain. I had a DR350 and I can't tell a difference in weight. It's sturdy and tracts well, and the power helps me steer a little quicker by allowing me to spin the rear around on a tight corner. For the power I don't think you can beat it but, I hear the WR250F is suppose to be better if your a smaller guy and dont ming reving the motor a little.

• James_Dean

Posted April 17, 2001 - 08:40 PM

Honestly, the weight is a big factor. I bought my WR with only 85 miles on it from a smaller rider who loved to ride tight woods. He came off a KDX200 and was very unhappy on the WR400. His loss was my gain. The bike works MUCH better when things are more wide open. For a bigger rider in tight woods the weight is not bad until you push it hard at a faster pace. I ride my 250EXC mostly for tight trails, much more nimble and fun there.

Posted April 17, 2001 - 09:17 PM

I think it may depend mostly on what you are used to and your size and strength. For many years I rode an old TT350. When I started riding again I didn't do too much home work but decided on the WR400. I am actually riding more wooded trails now than before where I spent the majority of my time in the desert. I'm 6' and 217 on my best days. I dropped the primary to 13 teeth and find that I can handle the bike very well in tight technical stuff. I was looking for a go anywhere type bike and my desert background biased me towards the WR. But I think if you are planning on racing the tight single track stuff lighter will be better. Check out the WR250. Good Luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 18, 2001 - 01:50 AM

Yes, Yes,Yes and yes!!! I love tight woods. I find this bike to be fine in tight woods. Living in NH there are pleanty of tight woods. The gearing change to a 52t on the rear makes a big difference in the woods. It all comes down to your tight woods riding skills. If you don't have good uper body strength, you may be better off with a WR250. I was looking at one yesterday and they are nice and light.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted April 18, 2001 - 03:21 AM

I ride tight woods on my 99 400 and find it to be lots o fun! I think you just have to learn how to ride the thing. I try to really ride the front of the bike and by doing so the bike turns great. There some bikes just like to turn fast, the WR wants you to make it turn. Once you figure out how to do it, the bike rocks. I do agree that being is shape makes a big difference.

• jj

Posted April 18, 2001 - 05:41 AM

I agree totally with Bryan and Mike. This bike is totally do-able in the tight woods if you get the technique down. What do I mean? This bike is a serious handful if you dont keep your feet on the foot pegs. Riding a large bike in the tight nasty woods is ALL technique i.e. let the bike move underneith you etc... If you put in your time lifting this puppy and sweating your ass off learning the bike you will be rewarded! :D

I must be in the minority, but I actually like the stock gearing for the tight woods. The only time I've had problems was when my accelerator pump was stuffed full of dirt..) The bike would die and bog and generally run like SH**!

I gotta say though, if you ride majority tight woods I would take a close look at the WR 250. WOW! With all the restrictions off this bike flat out rips. AND!! It weighs 30 lbs less AND!! It turns circles around the 400. :)

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• TheBOS

Posted April 18, 2001 - 06:19 AM

Since quite a few posts reference the wr250f I thought I would put in my .02. I love riding tight woods trails, I do quite a bit of riding on tight, twisty New England mt. bike-type single track. I was riding an XR400 which I really liked in the tight woods - it turned so tightly. Now I am riding a WR250f, although it doesn't turn quite as tight as the XR400, (although I have yet to move the rear wheel all the forward) the weight loss (and many other factors) more than makes up for it! Also the low-end power is very manageable for tight trails, but has plenty of kick once you get up in the revs for wide open riding, etc.
Check it out, I love it!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.