- - - - -

K&S Switch

• Please sign in to reply

5 replies to this topic
  • crash279

TT Bronze Member

150 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:08 PM

I just picked up a '06 WR450 and need to wire the headlight switch correctly. The bike has a K&S 12-0055 switch on it, but it is not wired up. Does anybody have any diagrams or advice on wiring this up? I can't find anything after about an hour of searching.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 08:17 PM

That's the same switch that is used with the new Baja Designs kit. I'm currently working on building a WR450 wiring harness which is loosely based off of that BD kit. I will have the BD kit wiring harness, turn signals (all 4), horn, and turn signal relay for sale in a week.

Unfortunately, you'll have to pick up the key switch, voltage regulator and modify your stator to use it.

• crash279

TT Bronze Member

150 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 08:23 PM

That's the same switch that is used with the new Baja Designs kit. I'm currently working on building a WR450 wiring harness which is loosely based off of that BD kit. I will have the BD kit wiring harness, turn signals (all 4), horn, and turn signal relay for sale in a week.

Unfortunately, you'll have to pick up the key switch, voltage regulator and modify your stator to use it.

Do you know how to wire the switch just to control the headlight? We don't have to have turn signals to be legal in Texas.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 10:35 PM

Ok, here's how the BD kit K&S switch is wired. I will list which wires have continuity for each individual function. Keep in mind, the wire colors may change, but it should provide a good reference as to which wires are in play.

Headlight switch function:

Off - Brown & Blue
On Low - Drk Green, Brown & Blue
On High - Yellow, Brown & Blue
On High LED - Yellow & Black

Horn:

Pushing button - Black & Lt Green

Turn Signal Switch:

Right pushed - White & Orange
Left pushed - White & Red

-------------------------------------------------------

So, with all that in mind, DC power comes from the battery into the switch via the Blue wire. The Blue wire then makes the Brown wire hot or live at any switch location.

If the headlight switch is put to the Low position, power is then sent to the bulb via the Drk Green wire then to chassis ground. Same holds true for the High position using the Yellow wire then to chassis ground, only real difference is the LED indicator which taps power from the headlight switch, thru the LED, then it goes to the Black wire, then to chassis ground.

To hook up any other circuit, you need to think of the handle switch as controlling the ground, not the power.

To connect a horn: take the Brown wire (hot wire on switch), and connect it to one side of the horn. Run another wire from the horn connecting to the Lt Green wire on the switch.

To connect a standard 2pole turn signal flasher: connect the Brown wire (hot wire on switch) to the flasher pole marked "X". Connect the other terminal on the flasher to the White wire from the switch. If the flasher doesn't work, switch the two wires on the flasher (I know the wires are correct going to the flasher, but the hook up might be backwards)

To connect turn signal indicators: run both the Red and Orange wires to the indicator bulbs on the respective side of the bike. Again use a chassis ground.

Side note, if you're using a Vapor unit or some other digital dash which requires a constant (non interupted) power, then your best bet would be still to run directly to the battery. Even though both the Blue and Brown wires are live all the time, they still are affected by switch movement causing momentary power loss to all power circuits. So.. if you were to put the switch in the middle between two switch positions, there actually would be NO power leaving the switch.

Last note, you still need something to turn off the power to the switch. SO.. you need to install something to interupt the power coming from the battery.. via either a key switch, toggle switch or something along those lines. Otherwise, if you shut off the bike, and leave the headlight switch on, you'll drain your battery quickly.

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 10:52 PM

Shameless plug....

But.. you could save yourself some time, and just buy what I've got available then you'd also have working rear marker light & brake light.... :lol:

Posted Image

Edited by rs25, November 28, 2011 - 11:22 PM.

• johnalex

TT Newbie

18 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:18 AM

In case you're wondering which wire does what here is K&S's instructions.

K&S 12-0055

WIRE DIAGRAM

Wire Color Function

Yellow Headlight Main

Dark Blue High Beam

White Low Beam

Gray Turn Signal Main

Orange Left Turn Signal

Light Blue Right Turn Signal

Light Green Horn or Kill Switch

Black Horn or Kill Switch

Dark Green High Beam Ground (LED)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.