2006 YZ forks on 2006 WR450F?

5 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted November 28, 2011 - 05:59 PM

Could anyone tell me what it would take to get a set of 2006 YZ450F forks to fit on a 2006 WR450F?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 28, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Could anyone tell me what it would take to get a set of 2006 YZ450F forks to fit on a 2006 WR450F?

It would take nothing. It is a direct bolt on fit. The '06 YZ forks are almost the same as the WR forks, just one step up in tunability and quality: the AOS KYB.

The '07 is the SSS KYB, the coveted 'best' fork, that is a direct fit with stock wheel and disc.

The '08 and later require changing over to the YZ front end parts, or modification of the stock WR parts.

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2011 - 10:16 AM

The '06 YZ forks are almost the same as the WR forks, just one step up in tunability and quality: the AOS KYB.

You're thinking of the '05 YZ fork, the AOSS twin chamber. A good basic platform, but needs work. The '06 was the first SSS twin chamber, and the design remains unchanged through the current model year on all YZ's and the 2012 WR450F.

It is true that the '08 and later YZ450 used a smaller caliper, so that complicates matters in any conversion, but the '06 or '07 YZ450 fork is a direct fit. The fork is excellent as is, and what can be accomplished through tuning is sometimes amazing. You should know that the original fork can be improved on a great deal as well.

The bolt-on aspect applies when using the triple clamps from the same year YZ450 along with the fork. If there is a compelling reason to use the WR clamps, I believe that the fork tube assemblies will clamp into the WR clamps, but I can't say that with any certainty. The other thing you would need to check is the width of the clamps between the tubes. The '06 YZ's set the tubes 2mm farther apart than the previous models, and they made up for this by adding 1mm of inward offset to each axle lug. With the late forks in an earlier clamp, what you find is that the front wheel is off 1mm to the right, and the simplest cure is to trim that amount from the brake side axle spacer. You could also recenter the rim and run it that way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamRZ350

Posted December 01, 2011 - 12:54 PM

Are the YZ250's from those years the same as the 450's? Other than spring rate I guess?

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2011 - 03:42 PM

I'm not entirely clear on that. The inner and outer tubes have different part numbers between the 450 and 250, and one thing that I know for certain is that the steering stem on the 250F is about 12mm shorter than the 450. That means that the fork tubes are also shorter when assembled, which will mess with your head angle numbers if you interchange them. Whether this is also true of the 250 2T is something I don't know.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:14 PM

According to KYB, they are all the same 'fit'.... but the tube overlap, and the tube wall thickness both go up as the displacement goes up.

So, the YZ125 SSS forks will work on the WR450 2007 and later, but there will be more flex.

I have a pair of the above forks in my possecion, and they are the same size as the stock WR forks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.