08 yz450 question

6 replies to this topic
  • Sick Of It All

Posted November 28, 2011 - 05:12 PM

its got 350 hours on it.. i ride and race woods.. so its not totally gettin romped on... but the crank and bearings? think its time to change? or can it get another season out of it?

thanks
Chris

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2011 - 07:31 PM

Got a coin?

Stuff like that's impossible to predict, unfortunately.

• Sick Of It All

Posted December 01, 2011 - 01:16 PM

yeah thats what i figured..

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davcon

Posted December 02, 2011 - 07:16 AM

Chris,
Just for curiosity, what have you replaced on your motor to get so many hours?
ie Timing chain every x hours, valves replaced at x, piston replaced at x
Thanks in advance
Dave

• Sick Of It All

Posted December 03, 2011 - 06:28 AM

valves are all stock.. never touched them in the 350 hours.. i checked them a few times.. but they were perfect.. the guy i got the bike from..at 100 hours changed piston and rings.. not 100% if he changed timming chain or not.. i cant remember.. i have all the paperwork in storage.. since then.. i havent done anything... changed oil every other ride.. clean airfilter.. oil filter every 4 rides.. i could prolly get another season out of it.. at least another 100 hours.. but turkey day i went riding.. as soon as i started her up... she was back firing.. wouldnt stay at idle.. so either hot start messed up.. i did have an issue with it sticking.. or a clogged jet.. anywho.. if it wasnt for that.. i wouldnt be tearing her apart..

thanks
Chris

• davcon

Posted December 03, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Chris,
Thanks for the reply. I maintain mine about the same as you but only raced desert once and mx twice, other than that mostly trails. Per hour meter I've got about 115 hours on my 08 and it seems as crisp as the day I bought it. Nice to know its probable to go another 250 hrs before changing the ring and piston. Hope you find the problem with the backfiring. Sounds like you know what you're doing so I won't throw out obvious suggestions that you probably already know. Have a good one, Dave

• Sick Of It All

Posted December 03, 2011 - 09:00 AM

no problem.. my buddy had on 08.. just b4 he sold it.. i took it for a lil ride.. can def tell the difference with compression.. its not as tight or crisp.. but hell.. its a 450.. how much power do you need in the woods..lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.