Anyone use Airtrax front tires?

12 replies to this topic
  • Gunner354

Posted November 27, 2011 - 02:47 PM

These are low priced on Rockymountain atv. Just wondering if they are worth buying?

• infamy

Posted November 27, 2011 - 02:54 PM

my buddy has one on his bike and seems to be holding up ok so far. i just bought the hard terrain rear, but havnt installed it yet.

• Gunner354

Posted November 27, 2011 - 06:12 PM

What type of terrain and how does it perform?

• tech24

Posted November 28, 2011 - 08:06 AM

Never used one but have read a ton of reviews on them. From what I gather traction is moderate (not sure of specific terrain) wear is excellent. The biggest con I've came across is the side walls are rather hard and stiff and can be a bear to mount. This may be more so with the rear. I believe the hardness of the rubber is what makes them wear well or slower.

Only one way to fine out!

• Gunner354

Posted November 28, 2011 - 08:49 AM

Never used one but have read a ton of reviews on them. From what I gather traction is moderate (not sure of specific terrain) wear is excellent. The biggest con I've came across is the side walls are rather hard and stiff and can be a bear to mount. This may be more so with the rear. I believe the hardness of the rubber is what makes them wear well or slower.

Only one way to fine out!

Where did you read the reviews? I would like to ask more questions?

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2011 - 08:53 AM

While I don't think that there's any value in spending as much as possible for a tire, the cheaper ones are quite often worth what you pay for them. Real "deals" are rare, and it's hard to find tires that perform well and last AND sell for less than you'd expect. My current favorite front on all those points is the Dunlop 952, but every bike, rider, and soil type will be different.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted November 28, 2011 - 09:08 AM

I've tried some lesser known/used brands of tires and had less than favorable results, I learned my lesson. But, who knows... maybe the Airtrax tires are better ? Keep us posted if you end up putting them on your bike, and what you thought of them when they're worn out - any new tire is going to seem good for the first few hours. I'm more interested in the long term test.

• tech24

Posted November 28, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Where did you read the reviews? I would like to ask more questions?

If I remember correctly theres quite a few reviews on motosport and some on RM. Found a thread or 2 on here

http://www.thumperta...d.php?t=1003976
post #2 may be where I read they were tough to mount/seat.

maybe motorcycle superstore....what ever came up on google search

• Gunner354

Posted November 28, 2011 - 02:56 PM

I'm leaning towards the Michelin s-12 xc or ms3 front. I need good hookup in intended tire condition but something that will not rip side lugs like the mx31 did when I ride in hard or rocky trails.

• tech24

Posted November 29, 2011 - 05:49 AM

I'm leaning towards the Michelin s-12 xc or ms3 front. I need good hookup in intended tire condition but something that will not rip side lugs like the mx31 did when I ride in hard or rocky trails.

I had an MS3 and loved it. Never had the s12. My mx31 shredded its lugs pretty quick also. Done with that tire. I now have a mx51 and its not bad. Has some road mileage on it at the moment so not the best anymore but thats my fault

• RiderX

Posted November 29, 2011 - 06:48 AM

I have a hard time trying anything new when it comes to tires. When I found the tire combination that worked for me I didn't want to try anything else out, I hate having a tire on my bike that I'm not confident on. I ran an Michelin S12 rear and a Dunlop 756 front for years until recently they decided to replace the 756 with the MX51. When I went to buy a new front tire I read up on the Mx51, and it was widely disliked for a front tire, but seemed to get good reviews for a rear. I ended up ordering a Bridgestone M403 and the usual S12 XC rear. I like the M403 a lot. It's as good and possibly better than the 756 was for my riding conditions (a mix of just about everything). I may even try the M404 rear.

• Gunner354

Posted November 29, 2011 - 06:49 AM

I had an MS3 and loved it. Never had the s12. My mx31 shredded its lugs pretty quick also. Done with that tire. I now have a mx51 and its not bad. Has some road mileage on it at the moment so not the best anymore but thats my fault

What type of terrain do you ride in? Why didn't you go back to the ms3 if it worked well?

• tech24

Posted November 29, 2011 - 06:56 AM

What type of terrain do you ride in? Why didn't you go back to the ms3 if it worked well?

Its either mud or rocks around here. Mostly woods stuff sometimes the track which is either hardpack or mud unless you get a lucky day in between. I swapped it out for mx31 to stud for the freeze/thaw time of year thinking the harder rubber would hold studs better.. Then decieded to try the mx51. I think my buddy is still the half worn ms3. I may go back to it but I found out the zook/ktm dealer sells dunlops for 40% off and the 51 is a decent tire. So its gonna be hard to pay the extra $$$$.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.