scared new thumper owner

11 replies to this topic
  • YZ_thumper

Posted July 20, 2001 - 09:16 PM

i just bought a new 01 yz426 last friday and haven't got to do any serious riding yet. but, after reading about some of your guys problems i am afraid to even do what the bike is very capable of doing. (that includes starting it). you guys have any comments to maybe put my mind at ease. thanks. buy the way i love the bike itself it is a very awesome machine. :)

• twej

Posted July 20, 2001 - 10:15 PM

Originally posted by YZ thumper:
i just bought a new 01 yz426 last friday and haven't got to do any serious riding yet. but, after reading about some of your guys problems i am afraid to even do what the bike is very capable of doing. (that includes starting it). you guys have any comments to maybe put my mind at ease. thanks. buy the way i love the bike itself it is a very awesome machine. :)

• twej

Posted July 20, 2001 - 10:20 PM

[Guess I got my password right.
New thumper, don't let all this nonsense get ya down. You got a new bike...go play with it. When you start to have questions about maintenance, or some other problems creeps up, then check these boards for answers. But until then, read the boards for the fun stuff, like...how to jump a 4 stroke, how to launch off the line, or how to roost a 2 smoke. Have fun with it and go play with your new toy.

------------------
...and make sure to wear your tearoffs.

• MotoMan217

Posted July 21, 2001 - 12:57 AM

i can see what YZ Thumper is saying. i dont have mine here yet i pick it up Tuesday or Friday. but having a BRAND NEW bike and then it breaking down on you really sucks. but you really should go out ride it then when you have problems ask. hopfully you wont though thats what im hoping will happen with me ive always had bad luck so i hope with this new bike i wont have any bad luck. anyone else that has a 01 yz426 been having good luck with theres for far?

• az426

Posted July 21, 2001 - 03:29 AM

as a vote of confidence- a have had my 01'426 for two months and not a single problem yet except that i broke a brand new 38$ clutch lever/perch at moto grande.enjoy it, it is not a frail machine and near as i can tell mine likes the abuse. :)

[This message has been edited by az426 (edited 07-21-2001).]

• eBayThumper

Posted July 21, 2001 - 10:32 AM

Hey all,

I have had mine now for over three months and have ripped the knobbies clean off! This bike is by far the meanest machine I've ever ridden. It loves to go fast...doesn't really like to go slow in the tight stuff. I dropped a tooth on the countershaft sprocket and that made a big difference but you don't have to do anything to have a blast. I have never had a problem with this bike yet except for two times I had a tough time starting it for about 10 minutes. You get to know 'the drill' and she fires on one or two most every time.

No bike out there touches the hard hitting power of the two-six IMO. It's like taming the savage beast only you never really tame it...you just learn to ride it like it wants to be ridden. I'm still getting used to the power and the fact that it will jump a house with the stock setup.

Love it...live it...ride it hard....you did a good thing getting this bike and you won't regret it.

Ride on brethren...
J

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoMan217

Posted July 22, 2001 - 01:22 AM

lol this bikes going to kill me. i rode a YZ250 for about 7months then i stopped. i had MAJOR problems with the bike and hopfully by buying a new one i wont really have to many problems(atleast i hope!) this was last year. i havent ridden for like 6 or 7 months. has anyone owned there 2001 Since november and not have any serious problems with it? it would put us newbies to ease

• motoman393

Posted July 22, 2001 - 04:26 PM

I have had my 01' YZ426 since November 15, 2000 and have had ZERO problems with it and I ride 1-2 times a week (MX)! This bike is bulletproof...I dont expect it to break, and the only maintainence I can see in the future is a new top-end/valve adjustment (1 yr from now or so)

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

• YZThumpa

Posted July 22, 2001 - 05:08 PM

I have my '00 426 since April 2000, my brother has his '01 since Oct. or Nov. '00, and my friend has his '01 since Feb. of Mar. '01 and none of us have had ANY problems except the '01s fouled a plug due to excess oil on the air filter first time out. Bullet proof to say the least.

• Boit

Posted July 22, 2001 - 10:25 PM

YZ Thumpa is one of my riding/racing buddies. I also have a '00 that has been perfectly reliable. Any motocross machine will experience typical wear and tear due to the extreme use we put these machines through. Some riders are harder on their machines than others. Some guys hammer their transmissions while others, like me, are much gentler. Overall, I think the 426's are just as, if not more than, reliable as any other motocross racer.

• Jasons

Posted July 23, 2001 - 07:23 AM

My transmission wore the dogs on third gear and they started to skip, but I believe this happened due to a shift fork bending. I think the shift fork bent either from a hard crash or from bottoming very hard off of a large jump with my foot on the shift lever(by mistake, I don't make a habit of landing on my shift lever). This could cause the same failure on any bike. Other than that I have had no problems with the bike which is ridden MX 1-2 times a week and also offroad on occasion. I also had a 99 that I bought used and rode for a year with no problems at all.
Jason

• flyinguitars

Posted July 23, 2001 - 09:17 PM

I got my '01 426 in Nov. I havent had any mechanical problems. My bike runs great, it seems to get stronger every time I ride it! I change my oil and clean the oil and air filters every 1 or 2 rides and do all the other maintenence/prevenative maintenence during the week. It has not let me down yet!
Mike

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.