06 450 winter rebuild?

5 replies to this topic
  • matthoyda

Posted November 27, 2011 - 11:02 AM

Here is my deal. In july I bought an 06 450, all stock, in amazing condition. An older gentlemen owned it and bought it new. He said the motor has never been opened up, not even valve adjustments. It starts great and runs even better I have had no issues with it. I love the reliability of the bike and want it to stay that way for all of next season. Just wondering how far i should go with a rebuild or if I should not even bother with it. I change oil every two hours and clean the air filter after every ride. I just need some advice on what to do to the engine, if anything to keep it in the shape its in.
Thanks, Matt

• RiderX

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:50 AM

The only thing I would do as far as the motor is concerned is check the valves unless you've put a ton of hard hours on it since July.

• KJK_JR

Posted November 28, 2011 - 07:27 AM

a new cam chain is cheap preventative maintenance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:13 PM

I would for sure put a new timing chain in and check the valves...other than that you should not have anything to worry about unless it has a ton of hours on it.

• sledtrash

Posted November 30, 2011 - 10:15 AM

An older gentlemen owned it and bought it new.

HAHA I know an older gentlemen back home..... Well lets just say that he puts more and harder miles on bikes than anybody I know.... :lol:

Check your valves do a leak down test and run it. Keep up on the maitenance oil, air filter, good fuel (IE not the new ethanol crap.... put some additive in it or buy non Ethanol)....

My 06 is all stock in the topend. I put a WR crank in it and put it back together with the original parts (not to be recomended) But it has probably 150-200 hours on it still runs fine I'm going to take it back apart this winter and put a 470 kit in it and I'll throw a new cam chain in it and check the valves.... but generally speaking yamahas will treat you nice if you treat it nice.

Check out Grayracers stickies there are a few mods that are worth doing like the oil filter passage block off.

• sacfelix

Posted November 30, 2011 - 11:20 AM

Like mentioned above, check valves, replace timing chain and reroute the breather hose into the air box.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.