Looks like I'm going to buy an '11, what are the must have MX mods ?

27 replies to this topic
  • honda907

Posted November 28, 2011 - 10:22 AM

I back you 100% on that one ! I got the 270 front rotor and brakes became so much better !

I am also one of those who like to spend money on stuff to my bike, and sure some of the stuff is unnecessary but alot of the stuff makes the bike more tailored for my riding style. I have been riding for over 20 years so I pretty much know what I'm looking for. But I understand the talk above...many riders buy stuff they dont even know what it's good for.

And that was my point! I don't mind that people get the stuff, but this absurdity that if they don't get this or that , then well, hey, the bike is unridable!:lol:

Just drove me over the cliff!

Personally, I have raced for 35+ years and stock , in most cases, is best for mortals. If you need a $1000 dollar pipe, you would be better off buying new tires for every other weekend or getting some lessons.
But that doesn't help the bling factor that a lot of vets like, since they really can't race all that well.

JS7, that's another story! He's from planet X I think!:)

Sorry for the rant.

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2011 - 11:25 AM

Riders, the really good ones, I mean, mostly fall into one of two groups: Those who can adapt to a wide range of bike setups, and those who are lucky enough to have an existing setup match their riding style well enough not to need to change it.

For others, however, some things can be changed to make a given bike more suitable. For the '10-'12 in particular, the bike has a lot of low and mid range power, but hits a wall a bit earlier than some like as it pulls through the higher rev range. A good slip-on cures that (and lowers the weight of a '12), and if you ride in the upper rev range, that will help you. In some cases, it could make a significant difference.

I don't think there's much merit in some of the more popular mods for the bike, like the larger volume shrouds, but other things can be of much more benefit. Obviously, bars to suit the rider need to be considered, as do tires to suit the dirt you ride in. Getting the gearing to match the track and your style is another basic.

Suspension is almost always the best place to put money into a race bike. I do agree that the latest Yamahas have some of the very best stock suspension on the market, and it's to the point where it's better than most anything you could even pay for as little as 10 years ago, but it can still be improved on. The aftermarket rear linkages are completely unnecessary, and are mostly and attempt to make the new bike handle more like the older versions that everyone complained about. Setting the shock up correctly will eliminate the need for the link. And just as Stewart and Villopoto use suspension that none of us could put up with, the stock suspension may not be entirely suitable for riders that don't belong to one of the two groups I mentioned first. If you get it sorted out to your liking, it will let you go faster, longer, and more consistently than anything else you can do.

• Hurricane

Posted November 28, 2011 - 11:26 AM

And that was my point! I don't mind that people get the stuff, but this absurdity that if they don't get this or that , then well, hey, the bike is unridable!:)

Just drove me over the cliff!

Personally, I have raced for 35+ years and stock , in most cases, is best for mortals. If you need a $1000 dollar pipe, you would be better off buying new tires for every other weekend or getting some lessons.
But that doesn't help the bling factor that a lot of vets like, since they really can't race all that well.

JS7, that's another story! He's from planet X I think!:banghead:

Sorry for the rant.

I hear ya. The older I get the more stock my bikes are. When I was younger I would buy all kinds of aftermarket stuff for my bikes, 70% needed but 30% to make my bike look cool. The last 2 bikes I've had have been as close to stock as possible with exception of offroad necessities that are a must for enduro/trail riders like a big tank, handguards, and bike protection. For me once the graphics are gone they're gone, I just can't spend the money for graphics anymore that end up getting shredded in the woods anyway.:lol:

• crf450319

Posted November 28, 2011 - 12:14 PM

Personally, I consider an aftermarket slip on a must for the '09 yz450f. There are people who like the stock pipe, but if I wanted to lose that much power I'd buy a SX350f. For me, at my weight fork springs are a must as well if I want the suspension to act like it was designed to.

I had wanted to know if there were any "must" have mods, similar to the pipe for the '09. Not stuff like vented number plates, rev boxes etc. etc.

Now, the point (or this thread) is kind of moot as I've found another new '09 and I'm going to pick it up on Friday.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hurricane

Posted November 28, 2011 - 12:20 PM

Personally, I consider an aftermarket slip on a must for the '09 yz450f. There are people who like the stock pipe, but if I wanted to lose that much power I'd buy a SX350f. For me, at my weight fork springs are a must as well if I want the suspension to act like it was designed to.

I had wanted to know if there were any "must" have mods, similar to the pipe for the '09. Not stuff like vented number plates, rev boxes etc. etc.

Now, the point (or this thread) is kind of moot as I've found another new '09 and I'm going to pick it up on Friday.

Was your other 09 wore out?

• crf450319

Posted November 28, 2011 - 01:03 PM

Was your other 09 wore out?

It wasn't worn out, but I had enough time on it and I was able to sell my old one and buy the new one for less than $700 difference. For that $$ I'm perfectly happy to get on a new '09 and ride it for the next 2 seasons, I took all of my aftermarket stuff off and returned it back to stock before I sold it, so I won't have to buy plastic (I always put the OEM stuff in the basement), a pipe, fork/shock springs, bars, '06 CDI, throttle tube, etc. etc.

I had been looking at a new '11 which would have cost me around $3000 difference for the bike alone then another $700 in parts.

This '09 will cost me around $500 difference and I'll only have to spend around $300 in parts - Ironman rear sprocket, ORN6 chain, I do need new number plates & pre-printed numbers.

So, '11 would have been around $3700 difference and the '09 is $800. Pretty easy call for me to make on that one ! Not that I wouldn't love a new '11, but I don't want to owe a bunch more $$ to my line of credit.

I really liked my old '09, it was my first Yamaha dirt bike (had a bunch of Honda's prior). I've got a bunch of spares that I would've basically given away, and I really liked my old '09... did I mention that ?

:lol:

• HRC

Posted November 28, 2011 - 01:12 PM

It wasn't worn out, but I had enough time on it and I was able to sell my old one and buy the new one for less than $700 difference. For that $$ I'm perfectly happy to get on a new '09 and ride it for the next 2 seasons, I took all of my aftermarket stuff off and returned it back to stock before I sold it, so I won't have to buy plastic (I always put the OEM stuff in the basement), a pipe, fork/shock springs, bars, '06 CDI, throttle tube, etc. etc.

I had been looking at a new '11 which would have cost me around $3000 difference for the bike alone then another $700 in parts.

This '09 will cost me around $500 difference and I'll only have to spend around $300 in parts - Ironman rear sprocket, ORN6 chain, I do need new number plates & pre-printed numbers.

So, '11 would have been around $3700 difference and the '09 is $800. Pretty easy call for me to make on that one ! Not that I wouldn't love a new '11, but I don't want to owe a bunch more $$ to my line of credit.

I really liked my old '09, it was my first Yamaha dirt bike (had a bunch of Honda's prior). I've got a bunch of spares that I would've basically given away, and I really liked my old '09... did I mention that ?

:lol:

As long as you are happy.... :)

• motojase316

Posted November 29, 2011 - 04:27 AM

Pro Circuit Rear link and T4-R pipe...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.