Traction Control via GET Athena ECU

44 replies to this topic
  • fraser

Posted November 24, 2011 - 12:09 AM

Anyone tried this? I know James Stewart, Tony Cairoli, David Phillipaerts etc all use them. Just ordered their new GET Power ECU that has a 10 position handlebar mounted switch so you can adjust the level of traction control it gives you.
Its not really traction control as that's not allowed, but it kind of is as it messes with the spark if it senses sudden wheel spin through rev rises. A bit like anti lock braking messes with your brakes. Supposed to make riding a lot easier and therefore you can go quicker, rather than giving a power boost.
Sounds great to me in theory, will report back once its here.

http://www.revotechn...php?mod=get_gpa

• HRC

Posted November 25, 2011 - 06:09 AM

You need to post a review of that thing ! Interested to hear what you think of it

• fraser

Posted November 25, 2011 - 09:17 AM

Will do. i've got it here on my desk now. Not had a chance to fit it or try it yet. Can't decide yet whether to mount the switch up on the bars or hide it away down lower on the bike. Can't see me switching it mid race

• luckyguy19

Posted November 25, 2011 - 11:30 AM

Anyone know of a shop the get this in the USA?

• tech24

Posted November 25, 2011 - 11:52 AM

Edited by tech24, November 25, 2011 - 11:54 AM.
double post

• tech24

Posted November 25, 2011 - 11:53 AM

I'm curious to know how it works as well. It sounds like a standard basic traction control to me so I don't see how it will get past the rules but who knows. Maybe since it doesn't actually monitor wheel speed its not "traction control."

• HRC

Posted November 25, 2011 - 11:53 AM

Anyone know of a shop the get this in the USA?

Get GET at pro circuit website :lol:

http://www.procircui...?idCategory=659

• fraser

Posted December 07, 2011 - 09:51 AM

Right then- progress report. I fitted the new ECU at the weekend. Everything fits neatly in place as you'd expect it to. No dramas. Fitted the 10 position traction control switch to the left side of the engine near the choke- to the lower bolt on the finned rectifier thing.
Only problem, there's two wires coming out of the ECU, but the manual only mention one. AND, now it won't start.
So, I took it into the suppliers of the GET who discovered Yamaha ECU's have two wires. The other wire connects into a connector in behind the rad on the left side (not sure where the wire comes from or goes, sorry)

Now its all running again, just got to get out and try it- the weather is horrible at the moment.

• rcmxracing

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:58 AM

Can you still use the GYTR tuner with this product? Didn't see any pictures of the handlebar switch on the websites. This completely replaces the stock ECU?

• fraser

Posted December 07, 2011 - 12:21 PM

no you can't use any other tuner, it comes with full race mapping though other profiles will apparently be available to download. I'll take some pics later. you can buy a more expensive version that has its own tuner but I never bothered as tbh once I got mine set up on the Marmont map I've never changed it anyway. it was the traction control I was after.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ellisde

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:52 PM

do run it for over 100h its perfect , in some years it will be stock on every bike.
gap with recluse core makes me 2 sec faster incase of higher corner speed. i although use the complete athena tools : ignition with gap and gps controller to see the lap times.when u control the laps with athena u wonder with lines ar fast and WICH ones not!!! u have u change u riding style hehe..

• Kawirider37

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:52 PM

Just want to make sure I got this right. The gp1 evo is the new ecu that I'll need to install and run, and the gpa is the firmware update for the new ecu. Which makes the bike have better control and traction?

• ellisde

Posted December 09, 2011 - 12:13 AM

oh sorry..

the ecu is to start tuning a bike .it s the only aftermarket ignition u can really program yourself . it not like all the other like yosh or tokiomod there u can only chois points.
at the at the athena everything is possible. to be honest, its so complex it better done by a pro.i got may maps from my tuner .i told him how i want my bike to run.the only thing i do on the tracks is some things to the ignition timing ,fuel and gap

• fraser

Posted December 09, 2011 - 05:15 AM

What I have is a new model just out called the GET Power. It is a new lower cost version that comes with a preset Race Map for your bike, GPA built in and the 10 position traction control switch. Its a cheaper version for people who don't need to be switching maps the whole time (which is most of us). The map can be updated from the GET website if you need to.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• sniperpat469

Posted December 09, 2011 - 09:59 AM

You can also purchase all GET products at www.BlackOpsMoto.com
They have been in the engine calibration business since 1987 with automobiles.
They already have done some of the top riders calibration with the GET and the JD ECU.

• Kawirider37

Posted December 09, 2011 - 03:52 PM

fraser,

how noticable is the traction control? And does the map make the bike seem more powerful/responsive, melow, or the same but with more traction/control?

I like the power of my bike when I ride tracks with good traction, but when I ride my local dry, hardpack desert track, it almost sucks, and trying to control the power these new fuel injected 450's have is realy starting to become a chore...

Edited by jophis37, December 10, 2011 - 12:38 PM.

• HRC

Posted December 09, 2011 - 11:09 PM

fraser,

how noticable is the traction control? And does the map make the bike seem more powerful/responsive, melow, or the same but with more traction/control?

I like the power of my bike when I ride tracks with good traction, but when I ride my local dry, hardpack desert track, it almost sucks, and trying to control the power these new fuel injected 450's have is realy starting to become chore...

I can really recommend the gytr-tuner in this case. There is a map called "hard packed" that makes the power more suited for your track.

• Kawirider37

Posted December 10, 2011 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried most of the maps posted on this forum but only a couple have really stood out. I liked one that was more intended to be a woods map. Again this is primarily for the dry hardpack track I ride. When I ride nice prepped tracks I don't have any issues. I tried the map that was intended for use in slippery conditions and provideds a more gradual throttle response. Still not so great. I was looking for something that would actually offer some sort of traction control.

• fraser

Posted December 11, 2011 - 11:25 PM

Sorry guys, the weathers been so bad here the last week that I've not taken it out to try yet. I think it will do what you're after though. I'm told if you crank the traction control up to 10 it will run like a 150f

• MaxPower

Posted December 12, 2011 - 09:56 PM

I sent tried to find out how to get? an Athena Ignition
Found out that if Im understanding correct that Blackopsmoto.com handles the East and PC handles West. So I called (Black Ops in Florida)to understand a little more since Im an electrical dummy and ignitions cost a good amount

They were very helpful and told me of Athenas options and about their own they have which Mike Alessi has on his bike

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.