Used 2008 yz450f

8 replies to this topic
  • gcrawford31

Posted November 23, 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum and just getting back into riding dirt bikes coming from mountain bikes. I just bought a used 2008 YZ450F from a guy. He said that he hasnt ridden it in at least 7 months and the fuel is old. I ordered new decals and brakes for it and got them in today. I got the decals on and had to leave work. I had it in the truck and met my mountain bike buddys for beers and bond fire. At the end of the night I started the bike up and let it warm up. The pipe coming straight off the engine was red and orange in color like it was burning hot. Do i have a bad engine? Effect of old gas and oil? Jetted to lean? What should I do? Thanks so much for your input! Sorry if grammar is bad, Ranger IPA tasted good tonight :lol:

Thanks again!

• yzf4fiddy789

Posted November 23, 2011 - 09:56 PM

LOL. all bikes headers glow at night.

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2011 - 11:46 PM

The pipe coming straight off the engine was red and orange in color like it was burning hot. Do i have a bad engine? Effect of old gas and oil? Jetted to lean? What should I do?

That was your hazing. Laugh it off. It's normal, but everybody freaks out the first time they see it. Read:

Ditch the gas, though. :lol:

• gcrawford31

Posted November 24, 2011 - 06:46 AM

Thanks guys! I'll defiantly take the hazing! I was thinking I had much bigger problems. I've been worried about buying a used 4 stroke and that just freaked me out. Since I do have a used bike should there be anything that I should check before I go ride hard?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2011 - 07:52 AM

Clean oil, clean filters, tight spokes, don't overtighten the chain even though it looks too loose.

Download a manual if you didn't get one:

Browse through the Common Threads Sticky for the highlights.

• LaYZ450F

Posted November 24, 2011 - 11:10 AM

The header pipe will glow almost right after cranking if you have the choke on.

• writebrian

Posted November 26, 2011 - 08:47 PM

It scared me the first time too! They all glow but you can only see it at night or in a dim garage. I think i started a "glowing pipe" thread on here at one point myself.

Pour a little Seafoam in your first tank of gas. Cleans up stored bikes pretty nicely on your first ride.

• Yamiryder

Posted November 27, 2011 - 02:29 PM

Linkage and steering stem bearings might be a good thing to check out.:lol:

• yzdaddy

Posted November 27, 2011 - 02:50 PM

might of been the beer, lol

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.