YZ450 Rekluse Drive Plate Help Needed

13 replies to this topic
  • tls25rs

Posted November 22, 2011 - 10:45 PM

I have an 03 YZ450 with the Rekluse Zstart clutch with the perch adjuster. I bought the bike with this clutch so not too familiar with the clutch set up etc.

After riding the bike quite a bit the Rekluse is slipping a lot so I figure I should replace the clutch pack and adjust everything back to the recommended gaps etc. Read through the Rekluse installation manual and make up a parts list.

Order the new Yamaha friction disks and new 0.047" thick Yamaha drive plates without issue.

Call Rekluse to order the replacement 0.055" thick replacement drive plates only to discover that they have no stock and do not plan on getting any more.

Couple of questions:

Anyone know of a dealer with the 0.055" thick drive plates for a YZ450 in stock? Would like to buy 4 or multiples of 4 if possible.

Anyone familiar with the Rekluse enough to make suggestions on how to make it work properly with some combination of stock Yamaha parts in place of the 0.055" thick Rekluse drive plates?

I am in discussion with someone at Rekluse about this but he is off until Monday for the holiday so I figured I would tap the knowledge base that is Thumpertalk to see what you guys can come up with.

Thanks,

Joel

• RiderX

Posted November 23, 2011 - 07:04 AM

Can't you take up any excessive gap with the perch adjuster? BTW my buddy has the old Z start, and his likes to burn up clutch plates also. I'm guessing this is the reason they don't offer it anymore.

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2011 - 08:26 AM

I'm not sure that Rekluse replaced the Z-Start with the Z-Start Pro because the former had any reliability problems, but the ZSP does work very well, and uses the normal clutch linkage without added parts. The ZSP can be overridden easily at any engine speed, whereas, as I understand it, the Z-Start is harder to override at high RPM. Personally, rather than spending too much on reconditioning it, I'd replace it with either the Z-Start Pro, or if you have the stock clutch plates, boss, and pressure plate, an EXP, also from Rekluse.

In the case of the ZSP, the clutch uses a special clutch boss (hub), and standard drive plates won't fit. But I'm not familiar with the old Z-Start, and if it uses OEM YZ drive plates, there are different thicknesses available for different models.

The '03 plates are .043-.051"
The plates for an '07 are .059-.067"

Seems as if you could get the right stack height within .010 by using 4 of each.

Talk with Rekluse first, though.

• Gunner354

Posted November 23, 2011 - 09:00 AM

I'm not sure that Rekluse replaced the Z-Start with the Z-Start Pro because the former had any reliability problems, but the ZSP does work very well, and uses the normal clutch linkage without added parts. The ZSP can be overridden easily at any engine speed, whereas, as I understand it, the Z-Start is harder to override at high RPM. Personally, rather than spending too much on reconditioning it, I'd replace it with either the Z-Start Pro, or if you have the stock clutch plates, boss, and pressure plate, an EXP, also from Rekluse.

In the case of the ZSP, the clutch uses a special clutch boss (hub), and standard drive plates won't fit. But I'm not familiar with the old Z-Start, and if it uses OEM YZ drive plates, there are different thicknesses available for different models.

The '03 plates are .043-.051"
The plates for an '07 are .059-.067"

Seems as if you could get the right stack height within .010 by using 4 of each.

Talk with Rekluse first, though.

The original z-start was a good system that used stock plates. The Pro is just re engineered and uses different plates. I have used both and both are good, the Pro has a little more clamping force and is just a better system. I believe Rekluse is phasing out the original z-start.
I highly recommend upgrading to the Pro.
The override on the z-start was not very good.

• tls25rs

Posted November 23, 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the replies! My plan is to talk to the people from Rekluse next week. I was just taking a long shot that somebody knew of a place that had the plates I need.

Joel

• Gunner354

Posted November 23, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the replies! My plan is to talk to the people from Rekluse next week. I was just taking a long shot that somebody knew of a place that had the plates I need.

Joel

Use one of your old plates and stick it in first and then install new parts as usual and check the gap. I've had to do this on a friends bike and it came into spec. The tightest allowable gap is .0027. Tighter than that and the ramp effect will not work properly. Also remember that new friction discs typically gain .0010 from packing after break in.
Also I would ditch the perch adjuster. It doesn't work very good and is not really needed on a 450. If it is not adjusted properly your clutch life will be very short. Very important knowing the proper way to adjust.

• eazrider

Posted November 23, 2011 - 06:41 PM

Use one of your old plates and stick it in first and then install new parts as usual and check the gap. I've had to do this on a friends bike and it came into spec. The tightest allowable gap is .0027. Tighter than that and the ramp effect will not work properly. Also remember that new friction discs typically gain .0010 from packing after break in.
Also I would ditch the perch adjuster. It doesn't work very good and is not really needed on a 450. If it is not adjusted properly your clutch life will be very short. Very important knowing the proper way to adjust.

I use a perch adjuster on my 2010 YZ 450 with the Pro, and find it valuable to be able to adjust the the engagement point. With the resposiveness of the FI on the 2010 and later models, I would consider it a must have for the 2010 and later model YZ 450 using the "EZStart" or "Pro"......I used an EZ Start for several years in my '04, and transferred it to my '06.....I never had any issue with excessive wear on either bike, but the "EZ Start" is much more complicated to install....
Just my.02.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted November 23, 2011 - 07:15 PM

I use a perch adjuster on my 2010 YZ 450 with the Pro, and find it valuable to be able to adjust the the engagement point. With the resposiveness of the FI on the 2010 and later models, I would consider it a must have for the 2010 and later model YZ 450 using the "EZStart" or "Pro"......I used an EZ Start for several years in my '04, and transferred it to my '06.....I never had any issue with excessive wear on either bike, but the "EZ Start" is much more complicated to install....
Just my.02.....

The perch adjuster on the old z- start did have an adjustment barrel for changing engagement points. It also had the override lever. Can be a little confusing trying to get the proper lever free play. I have never heard of anyone using it with the Pro version. Did you contact Rekluse to get the proper wave springs installed in the clutch pack or just do this on your own.

• tls25rs

Posted November 30, 2011 - 05:47 AM

Well I talked with the people at Rekluse and it seems that there is nothing that they have that will help me with my issue as far as getting my existing clutch to function correctly again. They have made an offer of discounting one of the newer set ups slightly but for the time being I think I'm going to look at the '07 plates that grayracer suggested and see if I can get the installed gap to where it needs to be.

If at some point I do give up and decide to go with something newer, what are the pros and cons of the different Rekluse set ups? Z-Start Pro vs. CORE EXP

Thanks

Joel

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2011 - 08:52 AM

If at some point I do give up and decide to go with something newer, what are the pros and cons of the different Rekluse set ups? Z-Start Pro vs. CORE EXP

Thanks

Joel

Read:

http://www.thumperta...28#post10749028

and:

http://www.thumperta...06#post10750306

• eazrider

Posted November 30, 2011 - 12:27 PM

Well I talked with the people at Rekluse and it seems that there is nothing that they have that will help me with my issue as far as getting my existing clutch to function correctly again. They have made an offer of discounting one of the newer set ups slightly but for the time being I think I'm going to look at the '07 plates that grayracer suggested and see if I can get the installed gap to where it needs to be.

Thanks

Joel

I have used 3 of the Rekluse models, EZ Start, Pro Start, and Core-Exp. I found the EZ start to work very well, but was a bit of a bugger to install, and seemed to require more adjustment. The Pro-Start worked very well, was easy to install, and required less maintenance/adustment. I purchased a Core-Exp, and found it was more of an anti stall device than a slipper clutch like the others. If you want to just hop around in the rocks and sightsee a bit, the Pro is the way to go. If you want the feel of a "normal clutch, want to scream into corners, lock up the brakes, and then clutch/scream out the other side, the EXP is the ticket, and, actually, Rekluse bills it as more of an anti-stall device as opposed to the other 2. The EXP will do slink around in the rocks, but in my opinion, the Pro does it better. I liked them all, but for regular trail riding, I liked the Pro best.

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2011 - 01:45 PM

I have used 3 of the Rekluse models, EZ Start, Pro Start, and Core-Exp.

The correct names of these would be the Z-Start (now obsolete, and the one the OP has), the Z-Start Pro, and the Core EXP. One needs to note that the EXP and the Core EXP are two different products at opposite ends of the product line, also.

• snowdave

Posted October 21, 2015 - 04:58 AM

Sorry to hijack this old thread, but I am now the guy in this position. Perhaps it is the same clutch? I have bought .063 plates and will surface grind them to .055 if need be. Will let you know how it goes.

• snowdave

Posted November 04, 2015 - 12:47 PM

Quick update, the clutch is now installed and strangely the tolerance is correct using the stock drive plates.  I have not even needed the thicker ones.  I am adding an extra set of shims under the hub to loosen the clearance up by 0.010" so I don't need to be moving to put the bike in gear.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.