YZ450F '06 Bad Cranks?

9 replies to this topic
  • Larrykay5

Posted November 22, 2011 - 04:37 AM

I have read in MXA that 2006 YZ450F's have weak cranks, probably rod bearings. Any good or bad experiences out there that will help me decide to keep or sell my YZ? Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted November 22, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Nobody here has complained of any such thing that I recall.

The '03 did have rod bearings that became problematic over time. The bearing cages would break and freeze up the crank. But even then it was a long way from every one of them letting go. Most of them went way into triple digit hours without failure.

• Gunner354

Posted November 22, 2011 - 08:08 AM

I have read in MXA that 2006 YZ450F's have weak cranks, probably rod bearings. Any good or bad experiences out there that will help me decide to keep or sell my YZ? Thanks

There's your first problem, you just can't believe what the magazines say. Yamaha has been known to be the most reliable four stroke from the beginning yet the magazine kept downplaying the importance and would not give them high marks. I remember when Yamaha was bashed for not having an aluminum frame and not being fuel injected. If I recall correctly the KTM is neither and they didn't bash it. I also recall that the 09 Yamaha turned the fastest laps in the tests yet it was not rated up top.
The real way to find the truth is to read here and see what people are talking about. Honda forum is full of valve and crank issues while the Yamaha you read about how long the motors last with zero motor issues. They are not perfect but the odds of having an issue with a Yamaha is rare where the other brands it's the norm.
I must say that I just read in MA that the 450 shoot out finally has stated multiple times how reliable the Yamaha is and all others are not. I feel this alone should be worth the number one ranking!

• Mr. Neutron

Posted November 22, 2011 - 09:15 AM

Funny.... The MXA articles that I've read about the Yamaha 450s, '06 & up, have always mentioned how reliable the big YZFs have been..... :lol:

Example: In the January 2011 issue, on page 102 is an article titled "Bikes for Men of Modest Means". It's an article about buying new "non-current" bikes- still new one or two (or more) year old bikes that have taken up space on a dealer's showroom floor for all that time.

About the Yamaha YZ450Fs, the article says "If you value low prices & superb reliability, consider any Yamaha YZ450F. The backwards engine design that was introduced in 2010 may have all the bells and whistles, but any 2006-09 YZ450F offers great value for the money."

Doesn't seem to me that they felt like there was a crank problemo.... :)

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober, November 22, 2011 - 09:47 AM.

• rickallen124

Posted November 22, 2011 - 05:15 PM

The thing that I remember was a issue on the 06 was the stator plate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted November 22, 2011 - 05:26 PM

I believe the stator was mounted with three bolts up until 09 when Yamaha used 4

• grayracer513

Posted November 22, 2011 - 07:19 PM

That one's a little confusing. The '07 was actually the one that had the most stator troubles, usually due to cracking of the coil frame.

The '06 mounted the stator with 3 bolts, and for the most part, had very little trouble with that. The '07 and '08 setup looked identical, but for some reason, problems started to surface ( I know at least one '08 owner who cracked a stator and had the bike quit on him).

Frankly, the '06 has been one of the toughest year models of a very tough bike.

• Larrykay5

Posted November 23, 2011 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the '06 yz450f...I looked up in MXA where I read about problems with '06 cranks...it was May 2011 in "Ask the Mxperts"...someone is writing asking a question about his '06 that is seized....and MXA says "it's likely the cage on your big-end bearing has disintegrated. This was a problem on that year of yz450f. If it has disintegrated, put in an '07 crank."

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2011 - 08:06 AM

Interesting. In most YZF big end failures, the cage is the culprit, but, as I already said, I don't think there's been a particular problem in that regard with the '06.

• ZéPovinho

Posted November 24, 2011 - 02:53 PM

That one's a little confusing. The '07 was actually the one that had the most stator troubles, usually due to cracking of the coil frame.

The '06 mounted the stator with 3 bolts, and for the most part, had very little trouble with that. The '07 and '08 setup looked identical, but for some reason, problems started to surface ( I know at least one '08 owner who cracked a stator and had the bike quit on him).

Frankly, the '06 has been one of the toughest year models of a very tough bike.

Yet the '06 and '07 share the same serial number......:lol:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.