What problems? (Part 2)

5 replies to this topic
  • tawood385

Posted July 20, 2001 - 03:10 AM

Got a new 2001 YZ426 last week, put a couple hours on it, love it, and now I've just completed the breakin maintenance.
Just like everyone said, the oil was DIRTY, with a silver color, lots of metal in the oil filter too. No metal in the frame strainer though, because it was torn (glad I bought the metric impact sockets just to check it). Shock oil had a little metal too.
There were gobs of grease on the swingarm and stearing head bearings, so maybe Yamaha has finally started doing it right. But wait, no oil on the air filter though!!!
The one thing I wonder about was the valve clearance...it was absolutely right at it's minimum specs, .004 on intakes, .008 on exhausts. I expected the valve clearance to be at the large side of specs and then get smaller over time (due to valves sinking into heads). Anyone have any experience with this?

------------------
2001 YZ426
2000 Harley Police Special(I actually get paid to ride this one)

• Scott_F

Posted July 20, 2001 - 04:49 AM

The frame strainer was torn? The dealer should give you a new one, since it must have come that way from the factory. If you have any trouble getting one, I have an extra one around here somewhere.

You already tore down the shock? If so, then you should really disassemble the forks also. They will be dirtier than the shock.

You rode it without servicing the air filter? Bad move!! I would chuck it and get a couple of Twin Airs.

The valve clearance hardly changes over time on these bikes. Check it again in 3-6 months to see if there is any change.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 20, 2001 - 07:16 AM

If I remember correctly the manual says to check the valve clearances after break in so I would not be surprised if they are close to needing adjustment. I haven't checked mine yet but after reading your post maybe I will (just did my 2nd oil change). I also had lots of metal bits in the oil filter after the first change, but none in the strainer so I wouldn't sweat too much about the torn strainer at this point. Be sure to get a new one before you ride again though! There was less metal in the filter after my 2nd oil change but still a little bit. The oil looked horrid after both changes (grey with tiny metallic flakes), from what I hear this is normal. My air filter was nicely oiled though, I wonder if the dealer did this for me?

The manual also says to change the fork oil after break in which I haven't done yet (on my to-do list). If you do this then please let us know what you find. Also how did you change the shock oil, are the required tools expensive?

I also had globs of grease oozing from the swingarm bearings and steering head, maybe they fixed this for 01'.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • emcdan

Posted July 20, 2001 - 10:23 AM

I've been shocked and pleased that the valves shims hold up so well on these bikes. I've put alot of hard miles on my bike and it continues to remain within tolerances. Other 4-strokes I've owned were slapping after 10 hours of riding. Anyone else had similar success?

• tawood385

Posted July 20, 2001 - 12:50 PM

Sorry, meant to say fork oil, not shock oil. I'll run the same shock oil until winter, then have a local shop change it.

• yzfknut

Posted July 21, 2001 - 02:25 AM

Hello,Dave.
I saw you drive a Harley at work. Must be cool. I drive a 2000 BMW K1200RS Police Edition at work, and it`s great. I collect pictures of different police bikes from around the world. Would it be possible for you to send me a couple of pics of you and your bike :-)

Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.