fuel screw

8 replies to this topic
  • watkins

Posted November 21, 2011 - 01:31 PM

Hi all

Just installed a merge racing fuel screw in my 09 wr450. The original one was hard to get put once unscrewed. Like it was hung on a Burr. Anyways it came out with the spring but no washer or oring. I've heard of orings sticking but not washers.

Basically my question is if its not leaking is it fine? Or should I pull the carb and check?

• mikewrf18

Posted November 21, 2011 - 01:39 PM

Hi all

Just installed a merge racing fuel screw in my 09 wr450. The original one was hard to get put once unscrewed. Like it was hung on a Burr. Anyways it came out with the spring but no washer or oring. I've heard of orings sticking but not washers.

Basically my question is if its not leaking is it fine? Or should I pull the carb and check?

I would definately find them. Although it may not leak, it will affect your ability to properly adjust/tune your fuel screw.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2011 - 01:41 PM

Can't adjust the fuel screw if you have an air leak.
If it was the stock fuel screw, and it was more than two years old, it's probably disintegrated up inside there. Rotate the carb, pull the bowl, and look.

• William1

Posted November 21, 2011 - 01:41 PM

+2. The washer is hopefully stuck to the oring (which is hopefully undamaged). But you should check the condition of the oring every year and certainly when putting in a extended fuel screw.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aa450

Posted November 21, 2011 - 01:58 PM

happened to me on my 09 wr. hard to rotate the carb much with so much in the way. Small mirror and good light did wonders for me. They were stuck inside.

• watkins

Posted November 21, 2011 - 02:25 PM

Sounds like I'll pull the carb to be safe.. unless someone has a trick to getting the carb rotated enough to get the bowl off... I've tried and cant seem to get it far enough.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2011 - 03:33 PM

Sounds like I'll pull the carb to be safe.. unless someone has a trick to getting the carb rotated enough to get the bowl off... I've tried and cant seem to get it far enough.

Yeah, it's tough on the AL frames. I pull up the sub frame, pull the carb back off of both boots and rotate it. Be sure not to pinch the breather hoses when you put it back together.

• RasmusDK

Posted November 21, 2011 - 04:04 PM

the washer can be stuck :) i just brought 4 extra because i thought mine was gone, and when i wanted to put a new in the old one came out with the screw :lol:

• watkins

Posted November 22, 2011 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for all the replys.. I'm actually getting pretty quick at getting to the carb now... Pulled the screw.. took some other advice I read and put a 2.5mm hex up the hole... washer and oring came right out. Both looked great... put the new ones that came with the merge kit in... wrestled with the screw a bit to get it back in.... job done...

Total time... 15min.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.