Electric Starter - Problem Solved!

24 replies to this topic
  • fitness2go

Posted November 20, 2011 - 02:13 PM

I know this topic has come up ad nauseum, but I think I finally got it licked! I have a 4 month old 2011 300XC. Before I had the full Cycle Playground treatment, the electric starter worked flawlessly. I think the added compression and a couple of months of use started to cause issues. It would still start when warm, but would occassionally spin freely. So, I searched and researched all things that dealt with two stroke KTM electric starters. Here's what I did:

1. Wet MOD, which is explained by Jeff Slaven as closing up the vent/drain hole on the bottom of the stator cover with high temp silicone and adding less than 2 ounces of tranny fluid or something light. You also need to add a vent line since you closed the one on the bottom off. Here are two videos that Jeff did to explain both.

Wet MOD
Vent MOD

2. Shorai 14a Lithium-Iron battery with 210 cranking CCA's (LFX14L2-BS12).

3. Ground wire MOD from one of the electric motor mounting bolts to the negative terminal on the battery.

Despite doing all of the above, the electric starter would spin and not catch from time to time. I then followed The KTM Technical Bulletin for 2 Stroke Electric Starters posted by Jeb. Specifically, the shims made all the difference!

4. Idler gear shims! I checked for play and put in a .5 mm shim and the bike starts cold, hot or warm...doesn't matter. Since doing the shim, the starter motor hasn't spun without turning the motor over. I have some extra shims if anyone is interested.

David

• fitness2go

Posted November 20, 2011 - 02:16 PM

cxcmoto found a great resourse below:

make sure the brushes, bushings in the starter are fresh. If it has been run dry and not much maintenance done, they probably have some wear/tear on them. I found a rebuild kit Ricks Motorsports Electric for $75. You can get just the brushes for only $25.

• trailmeisterjoe

Posted November 20, 2011 - 10:08 PM

David, check back and let us know how "solved" the problem is a year from now. many others have proclaimed the same using similar fixes and have failed. Don't get me wrong, I hope you have success! but........

Joe

• randysoo

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:36 AM

where did you add the shims, specifically?
I might need this.

• fitness2go

Posted November 21, 2011 - 10:20 AM

If you follow this link KTM Technical Bulletin for 2-stroke starters, you put the shim (looks like a thin washer) onto the idler gear (number 4).

• fitness2go

Posted November 21, 2011 - 10:33 AM

Will do! Hopefully by then, you have yours working.

David, check back and let us know how "solved" the problem is a year from now. many others have proclaimed the same using similar fixes and have failed. Don't get me wrong, I hope you have success! but........

Joe

• randysoo

Posted December 19, 2011 - 04:42 PM

Ok, Give us an update on your starter mod.
I'm just recovering from a dislocated shoulder. Took my bike out for the first time this winter. The starter would just spin free 2 out of 3 times I tried it.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 23, 2013 - 03:05 PM

I know this topic has come up ad nauseum, but I think I finally got it licked! I have a 4 month old 2011 300XC. Before I had the full Cycle Playground treatment, the electric starter worked flawlessly. I think the added compression and a couple of months of use started to cause issues. It would still start when warm, but would occassionally spin freely. So, I searched and researched all things that dealt with two stroke KTM electric starters. Here's what I did:

1. Wet MOD, which is explained by Jeff Slaven as closing up the vent/drain hole on the bottom of the stator cover with high temp silicone and adding less than 2 ounces of tranny fluid or something light. You also need to add a vent line since you closed the one on the bottom off. Here are two videos that Jeff did to explain both.

Wet MOD
Vent MOD

2. Shorai 14a Lithium-Iron battery with 210 cranking CCA's (LFX14L2-BS12).

3. Ground wire MOD from one of the electric motor mounting bolts to the negative terminal on the battery.

Despite doing all of the above, the electric starter would spin and not catch from time to time. I then followed The KTM Technical Bulletin for 2 Stroke Electric Starters posted by Jeb. Specifically, the shims made all the difference!

4. Idler gear shims! I checked for play and put in a .5 mm shim and the bike starts cold, hot or warm...doesn't matter. Since doing the shim, the starter motor hasn't spun without turning the motor over. I have some extra shims if anyone is interested.

David

any update? Has all of this worked?

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hello...Hello....anyone out there?.. I guess this hasn't been fixed.The silence says alot. I'll be looking the gasgas or Beta way.

• Ud_Luz

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hello...Hello....anyone out there?.. I guess this hasn't been fixed.The silence says alot. I'll be looking the gasgas or Beta way.

Clay, the US distributor for GasGas, doesn't seem real happy with the factory the last few months. Seems he's been unable to get much information on the 14's yet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pdxhillbilly

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:45 PM

You GasGas guys are total dips****. That electric starter post was from 2 years ago.

• Monk

Posted July 27, 2013 - 09:04 PM

You GasGas guys are total dips****. That electric starter post was from 2 years ago.

And you add a ton more substance to the conversation?!?

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 28, 2013 - 12:18 AM

Watch who you call a dip****. KTM's are known to have a shitty design electric start on the 2 strokes and I was being nice asking to see if the design had been fixed. No one likes to have to pay 3 to 5 hundred to fix an electric start that should work and be reliable. From my sources it hasn't and is still shitty so I asked to see if someone would be kind enough to say. Instead I get a wise*** who only insults. You know ktm riders have a bad rep but I'll be nice and not add you to the list of nice guys that ride the brand. Right now Gasgas and Beta are higher on the list for me for the 2 stroke 300 enduro electric start bikes. I don't get posts like yours on the Beta and gasgas threads. It's another reason to go with those brands.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider, July 28, 2013 - 12:19 AM.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 28, 2013 - 12:33 AM

Clay, the US distributor for GasGas, doesn't seem real happy with the factory the last few months. Seems he's been unable to get much information on the 14's yet.

I just saw this on another thread. It looks promising but I'm sure Clay the US distributor knows more.

http://www.gasgasmot...-superacin.html

I'm not even looking to buy brand new so much but might under the right circumstances. The good thing about Gasgas is the retrofit electric start kit that goes back to Gasgas to 2002. I don't have to buy brand new . From 2002 to 2011 with or without an electic start might be good if the price and bike is in good enough shape and I'll add the electric start to have a 300cc 2 stroke electric start 6 speed excellent bike for trail and racing. Worse comes to worse I still can buy a brand new Beta 300 2t as that's what I'd really like..but I'd just not rather spend a premium price right now for a bike that is in High demand with limited supply. I might think of a ktm 300 but the electric start problems and the boiling problems don't endear me to the brand. Great bikes but as of now Gasgas is still looking better overall price and as far as problems. Less boiling and less electric start problems.. Otherwise I'll just stick to what I'm riding now which is great..and paid for. I could save a lot and still get an excellent used 2011 gasgas 300 with electric start probably with all the basic mods on it for a great deal. Those are out there too... just looking at what's possible and what would be worthwhile.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider, July 28, 2013 - 12:43 AM.

• Ud_Luz

Posted July 28, 2013 - 05:03 AM

I have an 07 and it's been a great tight woods bike. It also doesn't have overheating issues either. Honestly it doesn't need e-start, it's amazingly easy to start for a big bore 2T. I've been quite pleased with the bike.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:53 AM

I have an 07 and it's been a great tight woods bike. It also doesn't have overheating issues either. Honestly it doesn't need e-start, it's amazingly easy to start for a big bore 2T. I've been quite pleased with the bike.

I've got my cr and gasgas and they work great. My bikes are set up and paid for ....but I'm just looking at what's next.. My cr is a 5 speed and although it's a great bike the gearbox is mx set a bit . My gasgas just doesn't have an electric start. That's a huge benefit in technical situations. ..To me that's just what would be the best next steps.

• Ud_Luz

Posted July 28, 2013 - 12:22 PM

I cheated and put a Z-Start in mine. Unfortunately Rekluse only sells the high dollar Core EXP for the GasGas now.

I'm thinking about a new 2T and really have no idea what to get. No way will I ever own anything with Zoke forks again. The Beta looks interesting and I've been pleased with a Sachs shock. I don't know about their forks though. A bit leery of an all new bike though and I've heard it's a narrow ratio tranny which won't fly in the wide range of areas I like to ride.

Likely either a 300xcw, the Husa 300 or an EC300. Might have to give the nod to KTM because it's lighter and better suspenders than the GG. Tough call with the good choices out there.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 28, 2013 - 12:52 PM

My beta zokes work great...and i have yet to ride it with the gold valves and new springs up front that i just got done. Auto clutch is great but not for when not making very steep hills...great for many places though. Im just afraid of killing myself on those critical situations where i want the engine dead with the rear wheel locked up without it dependant on my holding a left hand rear brake being held. All this is just some preplanning.

• braap916

Posted July 28, 2013 - 02:26 PM

It sounds to me like you want a gasgas...do it!

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 28, 2013 - 02:50 PM

I have one..just not with electric start.. I just may get a retrofit kit and all thats needed to adapt..or find an 11 used with estart..or sell everything,lose my mind and buy a beta 300rr .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.