Carburator yz450f o7

6 replies to this topic
  • That YZ450F Guy

Posted November 19, 2011 - 03:20 PM

is it hard to get to my carburator?

• OLHILLBILLY

Posted November 19, 2011 - 04:02 PM

A shop manual. Then you will know exactly how to get to your carb, along with a everything else about your bike.:lol:

• RiderX

Posted November 19, 2011 - 04:45 PM

is it hard to get to my carburator?

It depends....what are you doing to the carburetor?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • That YZ450F Guy

Posted November 19, 2011 - 06:13 PM

I'm putting new jets in.

• RiderX

Posted November 19, 2011 - 07:38 PM

I'm putting new jets in.

For the main and pilot you can access them by removing the bowl drain. You just need a very short and small flat head screw driver for the pilot. I use a cheap pocket screwdriver that I cut down:

Posted Image

For the main you need a 6mm socket. A small mirror helps also. For the needle I usually remove the tank and seat and get at it through the top. Probably a little over kill but it saves a lot of cussing.

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:06 AM

Main jets are pretty easy. Unscrew the big 17mm plug on the bottom of the bowl and go up into it with a socket. Be sure you are turning the right way (the jet is a normal right hand thread, but being upside down throws people off) and don't over tighten.

The pilot CAN be done with the carb in place, but it's a job for someone with well developed skills. Here's how:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=556427

If that looks too tough, remove the carb. (more in a minute)

For the needle, pull the tank and remove the top motor mounts.

Removing the carb is more complicated that I'd like, but it's not difficult if you do it right, just a lot of stuff to move around.

• Remove the seat
  • Remove the tank
  • Remove the top motor mounts
  • Remove the side number plates
  • Remove the muffler
  • Remove the 4 bolts holding the air box to the sub frame (I'll explain why)
  • Remove the sub frame, sliding it back off the air box
  • Loosen the clamp on the air boot at the carb and remove the air box
  • With the bike on a stand, place a block under the rear wheel to hold it from dropping too far and remove at least the top shock bolt
  • Then Remove the carb
Here's why I separate the air box from the sub frame: With the shock where it is, trying to install the complete sub frame and air box, getting the boot on the carb and lining all that up at once is too much of a PITA. But you can very easily stick the air box in place by itself, and clamp it on the carb, sliding the sub back in place as a separate operation. Makes thing much simpler.

Here's a link to a manual:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx
http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• That YZ450F Guy

Posted November 21, 2011 - 09:05 AM

Thank you!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.