2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • Bandit9

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:25 PM

Pat, what headlight is that? Acerbis MMX?

• Navaho6

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Yep. Acerbis / Polisport MMX headlight.

• BoiseBee

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:16 PM

ITS HERE!!!!

Just in time for a nice weekend ride to get it properly broken in! I'll report back with some thoughts on Monday.

Dealer is getting her built up with the GYTR exhaust and handguards. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture of the build.... I'll get some better ones when I pick it up tomorrow.

Sweet as hell, the back of the fuel tank has a pivot bolt and the whole thing swings up and has a kick-stand to make accessing the top of the motor a piece of cake.

Posted ImagePosted Image

• 1trackmind

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm jealous.

• J D R

Posted March 10, 2012 - 05:26 AM

Nice man congrats. I got impatient yesterday while waiting on my wr to come in and went to the ktm dealer and bought a 12 450 xcw it's going to be a great weekend for both of us !!

• BoiseBee

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:19 AM

Nice man congrats. I got impatient yesterday while waiting on my wr to come in and went to the ktm dealer and bought a 12 450 xcw it's going to be a great weekend for both of us !!

Congrats JDR, That's a great bike. There are so many KTM's here that I actually decided to wait for the Yamaha to be "different". KTM has come a long way.... hopefully this new WR450 will even the playing field a little bit.

• Raider925

Posted March 11, 2012 - 09:05 AM

Congrats BosieBee! Looks like you are the first TTer to get the new WR.

Did you get the competition ECU and a programmer?

• J D R

Posted March 11, 2012 - 09:41 AM

I can't wait to here the review boisebee

• BoiseBee

Posted March 11, 2012 - 10:25 AM

Congrats BosieBee! Looks like you are the first TTer to get the new WR.

Did you get the competition ECU and a programmer?

I did buy the programmer and ECU, but the ECU isn't due in until the first of April.

The GYTR pipe made a huge difference though... I will post a picture of the stock exhaust... what a joke, I couldn't even fit my pinky in the outlet. It sounded like a TTR 125.

• BoiseBee

Posted March 11, 2012 - 03:49 PM

I can't wait to here the review boisebee

Well, finally took the new 2012 out for a break-in ride today. I gotta say, the fuel injection is sweet... the power from bottom to top is just so smooth its usable everywhere. The next thing I noticed right off was the suspension... the new forks are great. Although I wasn't hammering through the gears or flying at top speed yet, I took the bike through a couple test tracks and ran through the whoops and some nasty wash-outs and it soaked everything up with ease. The new chassis is spot-on! This thing corners as well as the YZ that I had previously, and the great thing is that the weight of the machine wasn't noticeable to me. I am a bigger guy at 6'-4" 220 lbs. but this bike did not feel heavy to me on the trail. I can't wait to get her broken in, and get a chance to tweak the mapping with the programmable ECU once it arrives, then i'll report back once I'm able to attack some high-speed nastiness.

The only issue I had was the electric start. It had to turn over repeatedly for several seconds before it would fire. I ended up just kick starting it most of the time because it fired the FIRST time every time. I've never had a bike with electric start before, so this may just be because the bike isn't broken-in yet....?? don't know, but I will keep everyone informed.

Posted Image

Edited by BoiseBee, March 11, 2012 - 03:52 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2in2out

Posted March 11, 2012 - 04:14 PM

So jealous!!!

• Navaho6

Posted March 11, 2012 - 05:16 PM

BoiseBee;

Re. the starting, was the bike remapped after the exhaust was installed?

Edited by Navaho6, March 11, 2012 - 05:20 PM.

• drdfblackm

Posted March 11, 2012 - 06:48 PM

I was in Phoenix this weekend and asked when they would see one...they were like I don't know...maybe end of April. I was like well there is a guy in Boise that is getting his this weekend, they thought I was full of it. I sometimes dislike dealers.

BTW.....JEALOUS!!!!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 11, 2012 - 06:52 PM

I was in Phoenix this weekend and asked when they would see one...they were like I don't know...maybe end of April. I was like well there is a guy in Boise that is getting his this weekend, they thought I was full of it. I sometimes dislike dealers.

BTW.....JEALOUS!!!!

If they didn't pay for them already, they won't get one for a while.

Yamaha is making 1/2 as many WR450's as in 2010, so the demand/price can remain higher (just like KTM does), and the brand image is not so much one of an 'asian also-ran' to KTM.

• BoiseBee

Posted March 11, 2012 - 08:58 PM

BoiseBee;

Re. the starting, was the bike remapped after the exhaust was installed?

No, the bike was not remapped after the exhaust was added as the stock ECU is not programmable. I will adjust the mapping once my "competition" ECU shows up at the end of the month, and it should take care of the starting issue. Once the bike warmed up the electric start worked better.

BTW.....JEALOUS!!!!

I know it depends on the size of the dealership. Smaller volume dealers are only guaranteed 2 bikes for the model year. My dealer is guaranteed 5 bikes, but he only got mine in on this shipment, so I am thankful I was first in line :thumbsup:

If the Phoenix dealer still thinks you're full of crap, just forward this photo of my shipping tag from the box it came in. Being a Yamaha dealer, they will know that the "B" in WR450FB signifies the new 2012 model.

Hope you find one soon.

Posted Image

• kawi380

Posted March 12, 2012 - 04:52 AM

Nice ride :thumbsup: ...I like mine enough that when it finally gets worn out I will definitely get one of these.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 12, 2012 - 06:48 AM

Nice ride :thumbsup: ...I like mine enough that when it finally gets worn out I will definitely get one of these.

Don't wait that long. It may take a very long time to wear out your old one.

• travertt

Posted March 12, 2012 - 07:09 AM

Yamaha is making 1/2 as many WR450's as in 2010, so the demand/price can remain higher (just like KTM does), and the brand image is not so much one of an 'asian also-ran' to KTM.

Does anybody have an idea of how many WRs are made is a "normal" year....some idea of an historical yearly production number??

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 12, 2012 - 07:45 AM

If they didn't pay for them already, they won't get one for a while.

If Yamaha is scaling back production to meet a reduced market demand, then that makes sense. If they are trying to artifically manipulate the value and image by not having bikes on their showroom floor, then that's pretty damn stupid. If the demand is truly there then KTM will just produce more bikes and Honda will eventually get around to having the fuel injected crf450x.

Still don't know why they won't produce a 50 state street legal version though.

• Navaho6

Posted March 12, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Good results for the WR450 riders at the AORC opener

http://www.yamaha-mo...ter-aorc-opener

Posted Image

Edited by Navaho6, March 12, 2012 - 08:14 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.