2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • BoiseBee

Posted January 17, 2012 - 10:49 PM

This could be a huge year for the new WR-450 as long as they have enough bikes in production.... I sold my trail-modified 2003 YZ-450 this last weekend so I headed to the Husaberg and KTM dealerships to check out the 450 offerings in person. The Husaberg FE-450 was over-produced for 2011, so they aren't importing any bikes to the U.S. for the entire 2012 model year. Crazy. Then I headed to the KTM dealer and he told me he had already sold out his allotment of 450 XC-W's for the 2012 model year. &%$#@!?

If the radically changed WR is all that it seems to be, I see a huge opportunity for Yamaha to snag some Enduro sales from the European manufacturers. I quickly ran down to the Yamaha dealership and threw down some cash to reserve one of the (2) they will be receiving in March. Can't wait.

• craig652

Posted January 20, 2012 - 03:54 PM

Found an Austrailan website with a picture of the 2012 WR450 outfitted with Safari tanks front and rear. And street gear. Just thought it was interesting.

http://www.westcoast...e.aspx?ID=58823

• 1trackmind

Posted January 21, 2012 - 10:26 AM

Found an Austrailan website with a picture of the 2012 WR450 outfitted with Safari tanks front and rear. And street gear. Just thought it was interesting.

http://www.westcoast...e.aspx?ID=58823

That's a good looking bike.

• 2grimjim

Posted January 21, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hmmmm.........
Just browsing through Yamaha's GYT online catalog and they already have part numbers for a "competition ECU", a flash programmer, hipo cams, and GYT/FMF Powercore exhaust for the '12 FI WR.

Maybe I might get one after all.

• 2grimjim

Posted January 21, 2012 - 03:51 PM

Because it's not WR, it's too fragile for the extra weight, it rev's too quickly for enduro use, and it's too new.

The new WRF FI engine is based on the Quad YZF 450R, not the 2009 YZ450F.

I don't really think the '10+ YZ has any issues with being too "fragile".

It looks like the FI WR engine has more in common with the '11 WR than any YFZ. It appears the only thing that is different is where the head attaches to the frame.

The YFZ bottom end is totally different from anything used in the WR. Tranny is wider, different balancer system, relocated starter, etc.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 21, 2012 - 05:17 PM

The new yz450 is alot of things.Fragile isnt one of them.What makes you come to that conclusion?

The newer YZ motor is fragile compared to any WR motor, is my point.
You don't want an enduro bike to need top end work every 50 hours.

• 2grimjim

Posted January 21, 2012 - 07:52 PM

The newer YZ motor is fragile compared to any WR motor, is my point.
You don't want an enduro bike to need top end work every 50 hours.

The current WR IS a YZ motor (okay it's an '09 motor) with an electric starter. The WR used the same valves, piston, cylinder, head, rod, clutch, and output shaft as the YZ.

The only reason the YZ has a more frequent service interval is because it was sold as a race machine intended for competion use. The YZ (even the new FI version) has the same top end life as the WR when used in similar environments.

I think the only reason the new WR wasn't based on the '10+ YZ is because of the requirement to accomidate a no-tools airbox, larger fuel capacity, a quiet exhaust, and a place to put a battery.

When the '06 YZ was introduced, it already had incorporated some features on th engine case castings for the electric start that wasn't introduced until the following year on the '07 WR. I'm sure Yamaha probably blew more money then they planned on research and prototype budgets on the new YZ and there wasn't enough left for trying to incorporate dual-model design features for any future WR version. Yamaha did the smart thing and used an existion platform in the new WR and added upgrades that were pilfered from the FI YFZ.

• Navaho6

Posted January 31, 2012 - 04:57 AM

A little information on the reasons behind the development of the '12 and why it's not YZ-based:

http://www.transmoto.com.au/publish/bikes/9769894/INSIDE-THE-2012-WR450F's-DEVELOPMENT

• BoiseBee

Posted January 31, 2012 - 01:21 PM

I like the fact that they kept the tried & true 5 valve motor for the new WR. What I can't understand is how they stuffed the 450 into the 250 chassis and still gained 6 pounds??? WTH?

• meanxr

Posted February 10, 2012 - 08:15 AM

A couple of good videos with a lot of close up pics. Makes me want a 12 that much more.http://www.motoblog.it/galleria/yamaha-mx-2010
Click on videos and it is the 5th one from the last.

Edited by meanxr, February 10, 2012 - 08:18 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BoiseBee

Posted February 10, 2012 - 08:40 AM

Looks like a totally sweet ride.

Here is the direct video link http://www.motoblog....e-full-hd-1080i

• J D R

Posted February 10, 2012 - 09:02 AM

the new wr looks sweet i wish there was more info on it because they are about 1400 dollars cheaper than the 2012 ktm 450xcw im about to buy

• BoiseBee

Posted February 10, 2012 - 09:20 AM

the new wr looks sweet i wish there was more info on it because they are about 1400 dollars cheaper than the 2012 ktm 450xcw im about to buy

Indeed! I was hoping the national magazines would have gotten a demo model by now and tested it against some of its competition.... or at the very least ridden it and reported some first thoughts....

• J D R

Posted February 10, 2012 - 09:59 AM

i know its driving me nuts there hasnt been a magazine review of it

• meanxr

Posted February 10, 2012 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for posting the link, BoiseBee. I couldn't quite figure out how to correctly paste the link. A great video!

• Navaho6

Posted February 22, 2012 - 07:24 PM

1st race results for the WR

http://www.fullnoise...2 Yamaha WR450F

• BoiseBee

Posted February 22, 2012 - 08:18 PM

1st race results for the WR

http://www.fullnoise...Yamaha%20WR450F

Bad Ass. Nice to see the boys can take a bone stock WR out and clean up at the races! I can't wait for March....

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 23, 2012 - 01:19 PM

So... who's going to be the first one to get one of these? I will be watching.....

• BoiseBee

Posted February 23, 2012 - 01:28 PM

So... who's going to be the first one to get one of these? I will be watching.....

I have a deposit down, but I have no clue if I'll be the first to get one..... just waiting for that call from the dealership!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 23, 2012 - 05:44 PM

Well... I just dropped my ktm off at the shop... again... :bonk:

When it runs, its far and away superior to my wr450 in every way imaginable... when it runs...

Was planning on selling both my ktm and wr and apply the money toward the new ktm 500exc. Before this week, I was pretty firm on that course of action. But... now I am waiting for the wr450 reviews. I hope that it rides as light and nimble as the new pumpkins. If it does, there's no way I cannot buy one.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.