2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • BoiseBee

Posted October 30, 2012 - 06:23 AM

.....I'm 6'4" and about 230lbs with gear........I feel cramped on it but....Plan to install a rise bar and drop the pegs....

Welcome to the group! I'm 6'-4" also, and the Fastway pegs in the "lowboy" position made a huge difference for me... It's crazy that 1" is even noticeable, but it is. I haven't even messed with the bars yet.

Just wait until you open her up and let 'er breathe.... you're gonna love the difference.

• huffyboy

Posted October 30, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Welcome to the group! I'm 6'-4" also, and the Fastway pegs in the "lowboy" position made a huge difference for me... It's crazy that 1" is even noticeable, but it is. I haven't even messed with the bars yet.

Just wait until you open her up and let 'er breathe.... you're gonna love the difference.

I have read some guys rotated thier bars forward and that helped....So im going to try that this weekend....it's really ackward standing and riding right now....Need to fix that....This winter I will get the performance upgrade....Riding season here in Michigan is done once deer season starts...Out of respect to the hunters...Thanks forthe advice BoiseBee....It's great having big guys to bounce ideas off of

• supermega1

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hello....New to Thumper Talk and just bought a 2012 WR450 a week ago......Been out of the game since 2000 when I sold 1996 YZ250(Which I loved)..Sold the dirt bike to race mountain bikes....Only have one good trail ride on the WR but was back in the game after riding a hour.....Suspension is amazing.....I'm 6'4" and about 230lbs with gear....Never bottomed out or threw me.....Flies in the single track and very stable at speed.....I feel cramped on it but....Plan to install a rise bar and drop the pegs....See how that feels......Then uncork bike this winter and install a street legal kit to help get around here in Michigan.....Been great reading all the mods..Thanks to all for doing the ground work for us newbies..

Congrats on the purchase.

I am 6'3" and switching the bars was one of the first things I did. I always felt hunched over while standing. Got some Pro Taper EVO Windham/RM MID also switched the grips at the time. Made a huge difference. The EVO's soak up some of the vibration and the new grips are light years better then the stock. The extra height has aloud me not to have to hunch.

Tall seat coming in this week :thumbsup:

• huffyboy

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:50 AM

I am 6'3" and switching the bars was one of the first things I did. I always felt hunched over while standing. Got some Pro Taper EVO Windham/RM MID also switched the grips at the time. Made a huge difference. The EVO's soak up some of the vibration and the new grips are light years better then the stock. The extra height has aloud me not to have to hunch.

Thanks SuperMega1......I like the angles and rise on that bar...Might be my next purchase...Along with the drop pegs.....Motorcycles parts are SO much cheaper than mountain bikes parts....MIND BLOWING!...

• BoiseBee

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:46 AM

What seat did you go with?

• supermega1

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:00 AM

^ Went with the Guts Racing Seat on the recommendation of a couple of friends.

Foam:
http://www.gutsracin...il.aspx?ID=2966
went with the medium firmness. This was the closest to stock most people said.

Cover:
http://www.gutsracin...il.aspx?ID=2984
Again Closet to the stock look.

should have it this week and should know how good it is after the weekend.

• BoiseBee

Posted October 30, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks supermega1.... Let us know how you like it after the weekend ride.... a taller seat is on my short list!

• psmdth3

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:58 PM

Just purchased 2012 WR 450 and have been reading all the posts regarding throttle stop. Some say replace it with another bolt, etc. My question is that since motor has a TPS, is there a specific length of bolt to be used so that the TPS is not tripped and/or damaged? Getting ready to go out to desert for 8 days and would be a long vacation with it's current throttle condition! Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• tomerb

Posted November 02, 2012 - 10:49 PM

You can use a M5 X .75 X 10mm allen head screw. And the screw has nothing to do with the TPS. Good luck with your new ride!!
TOM

• psmdth3

Posted November 03, 2012 - 06:43 AM

@ tomerb, thanks for the info. Now the bike will run like it is capable of.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Silverado562

Posted November 08, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Is anyone having issues with the bike not wanting to go into neural with the bike running but then goes right in when I shut it off. It has about 5 hrs on it and has done this since the first ride

• GuyGraham

Posted November 08, 2012 - 11:40 PM

Is anyone having issues with the bike not wanting to go into neural with the bike running but then goes right in when I shut it off. It has about 5 hrs on it and has done this since the first ride

classic sympton of clutch drag (on any bike) - reduce your clutch lever free play and it should help

• msgbean

Posted November 09, 2012 - 07:31 AM

This was a concern for me also but the problem goes away. I don't know how many hours I had when it stopped giving me trouble but you should be getting close. I have absolutely no problem with it now.

• supermega1

Posted November 09, 2012 - 12:39 PM

There's been some reports of finding neutral being a little difficult. My buddy that has a '11 YZ says he has the same issue as well. It got easier with age/hours.

• huffyboy

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hey BoiseBee or supermega1.....Either of you guys change the sring on your suspension?........Mine is to soft for me....I'm about 230lbs with full gear...Want to get mine resprung this winter.....looking for advice...

• BoiseBee

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hey BoiseBee or supermega1.....Either of you guys change the sring on your suspension?........Mine is to soft for me....I'm about 230lbs with full gear...Want to get mine resprung this winter.....looking for advice...

Huffy,
Yes, i had the entire suspension reworked, and i'm also 230# with gear. The specifications from my receipt are as follows:

Spring: 5.9nm
sag: 36mm
Oil/Nitro: KZC 165psi
High Speed Comp: 1.5
Low Speed Comp: 14
Rebound: 18

• huffyboy

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:44 AM

Huffy,
Yes, i had the entire suspension reworked, and i'm also 230# with gear. The specifications from my receipt are as follows:

Spring: 5.9nm
sag: 36mm
Oil/Nitro: KZC 165psi
High Speed Comp: 1.5
Low Speed Comp: 14

Did you only replace the rear spring?...or the front as well?..THanks for the great info....This is my next upgrade

• BoiseBee

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Did you only replace the rear spring?...or the front as well?..THanks for the great info....This is my next upgrade

Yes, I had the forks reworked also:

Spring: .50kg
Preload: +3mm
Oil/Height: MX5 - 375cc
Compression: 16

• Silverado562

Posted November 24, 2012 - 12:22 AM

Is any one in the long beach area that has a power tuner I can come by real quick and use? My dealer wants to charge me an hour of labor($125). Ill bring ya 30 pack

• Bandit9

Posted November 24, 2012 - 06:46 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the new WR450 just won the Roof of Africa Extreme race last week. A 16 year old kid whooped Jarvis, Letti, Birch etc.. on a 450. That is the first major win I've noticed for the 12 WR450.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.