2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • tomerb

Posted August 07, 2012 - 03:04 PM

I guess I'm lucky also, because mine starts almost every time hot or cold by just adding the GYTR ECM.

• o313

Posted August 07, 2012 - 03:07 PM

I guess I'm lucky also, because mine starts almost every time hot or cold by just adding the GYTR ECM.

Lets list altitude and setup (Map, Exhaust, etc...) when we talk about starting issues.

• tomerb

Posted August 07, 2012 - 06:25 PM

In and around Phoenix were 1400-2500 elevation in New Mexico I'm at 7000-8500 elevation and mine starts the same both places. I have the FMF map installed.

• luckyone24

Posted October 06, 2012 - 11:53 AM

well took my new wr 450 out and was getting a little concerned because i had 47 miles on the odometer so to the gas station i went.. took 1.09 gallons and odometer showed 51.2!! can this be so?.. fueled it up before i brought it home in the back of my truck when i bought it...

Edited by luckyone24, October 06, 2012 - 11:56 AM.

• cwallershasta

Posted October 08, 2012 - 11:18 AM

That's what I thought until I noticed I was in Kilometer mode.

• elblanconaygro

Posted October 08, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Ever notice that none of the off road pro's ride the "off road" specific bikes jap bikes?? It's only brands like ktm, berg, husky, beta, and gas gas that their respective factory riders ride their purpose built bikes. I don't know what the hell any of the jap bike manufacturers are even bothering building anything except mx bikes because they clearly do not care.

Every jap off road bike is years back in technology compared to their mx bikes. Why else do GNCC guys like Thad Duval and Paul Whibley modify the mx 450's for off road applications? I think yamaha wasted their time with the new wr 450. If they were smart they would follow ktm and base their off road models after their mx bikes.

The yz 250 seems to be the most popular jap mx bike adopted for off road and it is basically unchanged since 2006. If yamaha had a brain they would start producing a COMPETITIVE off road line-up.

• MANIAC998

Posted October 09, 2012 - 02:49 AM

Ever notice that none of the off road pro's ride the "off road" specific bikes jap bikes?? It's only brands like ktm, berg, husky, beta, and gas gas that their respective factory riders ride their purpose built bikes. I don't know what the hell any of the jap bike manufacturers are even bothering building anything except mx bikes because they clearly do not care.

Every jap off road bike is years back in technology compared to their mx bikes. Why else do GNCC guys like Thad Duval and Paul Whibley modify the mx 450's for off road applications? I think yamaha wasted their time with the new wr 450. If they were smart they would follow ktm and base their off road models after their mx bikes.

The yz 250 seems to be the most popular jap mx bike adopted for off road and it is basically unchanged since 2006. If yamaha had a brain they would start producing a COMPETITIVE off road line-up.

I disagree! I don't want anything to do with that "backwards" engine!! I think Yamaha did an awesome job producing what the public wants in the new WR. Everything except a six speed tranny!! Sure they have some FI issues to deal with, but not bad for a first year model. They will get this worked out.

• elblanconaygro

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:49 PM

I disagree! I don't want anything to do with that "backwards" engine!! I think Yamaha did an awesome job producing what the public wants in the new WR. Everything except a six speed tranny!! Sure they have some FI issues to deal with, but not bad for a first year model. They will get this worked out.

Its nice to have some "positive" disagreement haha. It be interesting to hear how many others feel the same way as me, and you. Dirt Rider mag bashed it pretty good though. Overall as a bike that didn't know what it was, I'm not here to site the whole article as everyone has access to it. I guess you're right that yamaha DID something. When the backwards 450 came out it got rave reviews everywhere, I got the chance to ride one at a track before and never had I immediately feel so comfortable on a bike. I don't like 450's either. That package adapted for the trail is something I'd be interested in if I were in the 450 off road bike market.

• MANIAC998

Posted October 10, 2012 - 03:58 AM

I don't put too much stock in what magazines say anymore. They always love the newest, greatest stuff that is produced, and never talk about longevity, which I feel is waaaaaayyyyy more important! Especially now that bikes are running $10,000.00!!! You have to read between the lines in every magazine produced. Watch, Dirt Rider bashed the new WR, and in a month or two, they'll do a test on a "modified" WR (uncorked) and will rave about it!!!! I don't necessarily dis-like the backwards engine that Yamaha produces as far as handling goes, but dis-like what it does to the rest of the bike.

Impossible access to the airbox, check!
Incredibly small fuel tank, check!

These are not good traits on an off-road motorcycle!!!
But that's just me!!! Your results may vary!!!

• cwallershasta

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:59 AM

I've been suscribing to the above mentioned mag for years, but not anymore. The past couple years it's been more like KTM rider. When the review came out I wasn't surprised at all. I did the whole ride track bikes off road and tried to set them up for it. My new WR performs much better than any of the YZ's I set up for off road. Yeah, just wait until they do their long haul test, funny how it's usauly a Yamaha. And say oh we can't believe how well this bike has held up. I love my WR and more so when it's still running like a champ five years from now. Maniac you add some good content to this site and it's greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BFox

Posted October 10, 2012 - 07:23 AM

I've been suscribing to the above mentioned mag for years, but not anymore. The past couple years it's been more like KTM rider. When the review came out I wasn't surprised at all. I did the whole ride track bikes off road and tried to set them up for it. My new WR performs much better than any of the YZ's I set up for off road. Yeah, just wait until they do their long haul test, funny how it's usauly a Yamaha. And say oh we can't believe how well this bike has held up. I love my WR and more so when it's still running like a champ five years from now. Maniac you add some good content to this site and it's greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ditto.I only get DR because it was part of some fundraising deal through my kids school.Most of the advertising isnt partial to pumpkins though

• xcountryfreak

Posted October 10, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Paul Whibley rides a Factory 2012 YZ450 and is usually in the top three. Last I heard he was tied for first in GNCC. The Yamaha factory off road riders used to sucessfully ride WR's up until a few years ago when they had to move to YZ's to be competitive. That's one reason I got a WR to begin with. I assumed it could be a competitive race bike. And it can be competitive, off road. The backwards YZ can be a great woods bike with the right mods. The mags have had several articles on how they resolved some of it's problems like small gas tank. And regarding mags, Motocross action has had great reviews on the new WR450 and did a project bike that was modified for MX. Now that is a versatile platform. It will be interesting to see, if Whibley wins the championship, if Yamaha makes him ride a WR450 next year.

As far as the other japanese factories go, Suzuki won a championship with Josh Strang a couple years ago but their racing program fell apart when he broke his leg. Honda and Kawasaki also support off road teams and sometimes do pretty well, but KTM puts the most money and effort into their teams. They own off road because they want to. The Japanese factories have lost touch with the passion of the sport. Now it's just a market to them.

The KTM factory riders don't necessarily ride the off-road KTM's either. Charlie Mullins has been riding the Dungey MX replica 450 this season and has had several DNF's because of bike problems.

• BoiseBee

Posted October 10, 2012 - 09:16 PM

Before I bought my new WR, I paid a lot of attention to the initial reports of the bike coming out of Australia....Those boys beat the tar out of their bikes, and frankly Off-Road racing is where its over there. I know the Active8 Yamalube Factory team are all mounted on new WR's and are kicking some tail this year....

http://www.motoonlin...stralian-debut/

And.... Mathew Phillips won the entire AORC E2 championship on a 2012 WR450

http://www.mylaps.co...ew.jsp?id=20098

Edited by BoiseBee, October 10, 2012 - 09:24 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted October 11, 2012 - 03:38 AM

The KTM factory riders don't necessarily ride the off-road KTM's either. Charlie Mullins has been riding the Dungey MX replica 450 this season and has had several DNF's because of bike problems.

Exactly! Everyone likes to complain that you can't race the WR's competitevly, and show us the GNCC, WORCS, etc. etc. using the YZ's as proof. KTM does the same thing, but since all of the models share the same basic external look, it's harder to spot that they are racing the MX models too.

• elblanconaygro

Posted October 11, 2012 - 01:09 PM

Maybe I'm just young and naive but I can't undertand why a few of you are bashing the magazine reviews. Maybe there is some confusion between excitement towards new tech. versus loving it. The new air forks on the CRF 450 f are NOT new technology. The only reason I can see that Honda slapped 'em on is to attract new buyers that don't realize air forks are a "failed" experiment long before I was born.

To me going to any off road race (enduro/harescramble) and typically seeing over 50% of the bikes there are orange says to me that KTM is doing almost everything right, and all the jap manufacturers are doing most things wrong. I mean ktm has such a diverse lineup that tailors to just about anyone's needs. They are constantly updating and refining their bikes.

The last time yamaha updated the wr 450 was in what, 2007? It takes 5 years to change something? Similar theme for the CRF X lineup.

With all that being said, I ride a yamaha, I still like yamaha, I think the new wr 450 is cool. But there is no way I would buy a yamaha again anytime soon. Other brands just have too much to offer. I'd like to get my hands on a new GG200, but that neither here nor there.

• xcountryfreak

Posted October 12, 2012 - 02:26 PM

I like to read the mags because they keep me up to date on new developments in the motorcycle industry. Like anything else, you have to take the articles with a grain of salt. I think Yamaha and the other japanese manufacturers are a little dated and stodgey in their view of the industry and markets today. KTM and the other european manufacturers are more "with it". They seem to be more concerned with what is happening in the moto world and how they can make their bikes better. The WR450 was a great idea and provided a totally new bike without much in the way of R&D, They used an existing frame and engine. They added FI to it but that didn't take much R&D. It's as if Yamaha Corp has told the off road division "sell more motorcycles, but don't spend anything on R&D. And while your at it, get rid of all theses old 450 motors and YZ250F frames".

It's true that air forks aren't an old idea, but I disagree that they were a failed experiment. Mountain bikes have used air suspension sucessfully for many years. Formula one uses air springs for their valve springs. The advantages in weight and adjustability are huge. I don't know why motorcycles moved away from them because I was out of the sport at the time. But I would bet that all the manufactures will be offerring air forks real soon.

• wr4502012

Posted October 14, 2012 - 08:02 AM

All new 2012 wr450f owners,check your breath hose where it go to startmotor,i found sand from oilfilter and reason is breath hose from airbox.It sucks sand from airbox and thats not good.

Edited by wr4502012, October 15, 2012 - 08:17 AM.

• Corkster

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:26 PM

All new 2012 wr450f owners,check your breath hose where it go to startmotor,i found sand from oilfilter and reason is breath hose from airbox.It sucks sand from airbox and thats not good.

Huh??

• wr4502012

Posted October 18, 2012 - 09:24 AM

Breather hose,top of cylinder->Start motor->Below airbox.

• huffyboy

Posted October 30, 2012 - 04:26 AM

Hello....New to Thumper Talk and just bought a 2012 WR450 a week ago......Been out of the game since 2000 when I sold 1996 YZ250(Which I loved)..Sold the dirt bike to race mountain bikes....Only have one good trail ride on the WR but was back in the game after riding a hour.....Suspension is amazing.....I'm 6'4" and about 230lbs with gear....Never bottomed out or threw me.....Flies in the single track and very stable at speed.....I feel cramped on it but....Plan to install a rise bar and drop the pegs....See how that feels......Then uncork bike this winter and install a street legal kit to help get around here in Michigan.....Been great reading all the mods..Thanks to all for doing the ground work for us newbies..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.