2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • supermega1

Posted July 16, 2012 - 09:10 AM

^ I think they were using the dealer programmer which I am sure has access to all parts of the ECU.

At least that's the way it is in Automotive applications. Dealer version can change things even in the locked zones of the ECU were the end user only has access to specific zones of the ECU.

• Summit

Posted July 16, 2012 - 03:34 PM

I still can't imagine a bike being any better than my ol 2005 WR. My only complaint is the ugly rear fender, sure wish that 2012 fender would bolt on. Sat on a 2012 the other day at the dealer, it's sure no thinner than mine, still like the steel frame. Rode yesterday in some off trail nasty old clearcuts looking for some old trails and it had rained a lot and those hidden wet limbs and small logs kicked my ass. But the ol girl fired up every time I picked it up and hit the button, had to hoist it up to the trail after sliding off the sidehill several times. Needless to say at pushing 60 I was a little beat when I got back to the cabin but like always I had a grin from ear to ear and the ol girl once again got me home without so much as a hiccup all with enough power to tear my arms off. I don't think the mags give enough credit for reliability/durability. I'm sure there's lighter better handling bikes out there but I'd be hell pressed to switch brands.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 16, 2012 - 05:50 PM

I still can't imagine a bike being any better than my ol 2005 WR. My only complaint is the ugly rear fender, sure wish that 2012 fender would bolt on. Sat on a 2012 the other day at the dealer, it's sure no thinner than mine, still like the steel frame. Rode yesterday in some off trail nasty old clearcuts looking for some old trails and it had rained a lot and those hidden wet limbs and small logs kicked my ass. But the ol girl fired up every time I picked it up and hit the button, had to hoist it up to the trail after sliding off the sidehill several times. Needless to say at pushing 60 I was a little beat when I got back to the cabin but like always I had a grin from ear to ear and the ol girl once again got me home without so much as a hiccup all with enough power to tear my arms off. I don't think the mags give enough credit for reliability/durability. I'm sure there's lighter better handling bikes out there but I'd be hell pressed to switch brands.

:)

I got one too.

• MANIAC998

Posted July 16, 2012 - 08:06 PM

Amen, brother. Amen!!!

• msgbean

Posted July 17, 2012 - 07:48 AM

I still can't imagine a bike being any better than my ol 2005 WR.

That's what I thought when I had an 03 then I bought an 07. Much better bike. Then I thought it couldn't get any better until I bought '12. Much better bike. Of course they are all still Yami's.

On a side note, I put on a new rear tire yesterday and to my surprise there was only one rim lock. They have always had two on the 18" rears. It did make changing the tire easier though.

• MaxPower

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:43 AM

I still can't imagine a bike being any better than my ol 2005 WR.

I would like to be your riding Buddy because you must never bitch about anything. Have you ever ridden another 450?
I own a 04 and I can go 2x faster on other bikes.
My bike is a road bike only now.

Edited by MaxPower, July 17, 2012 - 11:13 AM.

• A X E

Posted July 17, 2012 - 07:15 PM

That's weird... the programmer doesn't allow anything below 1/8 throttle to be adjusted .... Yamaha themselves even said that adjustments couldn't be made to the idle through the programmer.

Please post the changes that you and the dealer made in the mapping so that we can try it for ourselves and see what happens.

Thanks.

Not sure I buy into the dealer has a better programmer theory. I like hear more specifics on the adjustments they made.

I do however subscribe to the theory that there may be some type of "mechanical" adjustment that can be made on the throttle body to affect the starting and idling circuit. I know on my Hypermotard, they have what is referred to as an "air bleed screw" that can make small adjustments. I never had to mess with mine, but I had mine customed mapped on a dyno at the dealer after installing a Power Commander. They may have made air bleed adjustments at that time that I wasn't aware. I haven't really inspected the TB on the WR, so who knows how it works. Here is a picture of the Hyper TB and air bleed screws.

http://www.ducati.ms...eed-screws.html

Anyway, my other working theory is that the throttle position sensor is not set correctly from the factory. They can be reset, but if they aren't correct to begin with, it wouldn't matter.

Out!

Edited by A X E, July 17, 2012 - 07:33 PM.

• BoiseBee

Posted July 17, 2012 - 09:42 PM

Not sure I buy into the dealer has a better programmer theory. I like hear more specifics on the adjustments they made.

I do however subscribe to the theory that there may be some type of "mechanical" adjustment that can be made on the throttle body to affect the starting and idling circuit. I know on my Hypermotard, they have what is referred to as an "air bleed screw" that can make small adjustments. I never had to mess with mine, but I had mine customed mapped on a dyno at the dealer after installing a Power Commander. They may have made air bleed adjustments at that time that I wasn't aware. I haven't really inspected the TB on the WR, so who knows how it works. Here is a picture of the Hyper TB and air bleed screws.

http://www.ducati.ms...eed-screws.html

Anyway, my other working theory is that the throttle position sensor is not set correctly from the factory. They can be reset, but if they aren't correct to begin with, it wouldn't matter.

Out!

I talked to my dealer today and they confirmed that there isn't a different power tuner that will access more of the competition ECU (ie: idle).

He did say he would talk to Yamaha USA and find out what other tuning options there are on the FI system to get the hot starting issues worked out.

• BFox

Posted July 18, 2012 - 04:58 AM

BB is yours difficult to start when hot? Mines a bear to start cold and fires right up when hot.Anybody tried a battery with more CCA?Thinking of getting a Shorai or something similiar.Wondering if its still not loosened up fully yet

• zuch95701

Posted July 18, 2012 - 05:45 AM

I talked to my dealer today and they confirmed that there isn't a different power tuner that will access more of the competition ECU (ie: idle).

He did say he would talk to Yamaha USA and find out what other tuning options there are on the FI system to get the hot starting issues worked out.

Another example of bad information. I do not want to start a war on this page but boise your dealer and you are incorrect. I never said it was a factory yamaha tuner. It believe is a Fmf programer or other aftermarket unit, the same one that he uses for 100 other efi units. It does have the ability to adjust the idle circuit. I was standing next to the tech when he did the work. The service manager was told to use this method by his yamaha rep to address the hard starting when using the electric start. I did work and my bike does start very easy now.

Just making sure everyone has there facts straight.

Edited by zuch95701, July 18, 2012 - 05:47 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BoiseBee

Posted July 18, 2012 - 06:33 AM

BB is yours difficult to start when hot? Mines a bear to start cold and fires right up when hot.Anybody tried a battery with more CCA?Thinking of getting a Shorai or something similiar.Wondering if its still not loosened up fully yet

Mine seems to fire when cold on the second or third button press... but once i've been riding for a while, re-starting it is a bear.

I've been thinking of a better battery too.... but along the lines of a Lithium Battery to save weight. But then I think a special charger would be necessary? Let us know what you end up doing.

• BoiseBee

Posted July 18, 2012 - 06:41 AM

Another example of bad information. I do not want to start a war on this page but boise your dealer and you are incorrect. I never said it was a factory yamaha tuner. It believe is a Fmf programer or other aftermarket unit, the same one that he uses for 100 other efi units. It does have the ability to adjust the idle circuit. I was standing next to the tech when he did the work. The service manager was told to use this method by his yamaha rep to address the hard starting when using the electric start. I did work and my bike does start very easy now.

Just making sure everyone has there facts straight.

Nobody is looking to start a war on this forum... and I don't think there was bad information in my post... the Yamaha tuner will not access below 1/8 throttle. If anything, maybe there was a lack of information in your original post. When someone comes in here and says they were able to fix a problem that many of us are having, we want all possible information, setup examples, etc. so we can all join in.

Glad your bike is working great. Meanwhile, I will continue to hound my dealer to come up with the programmer that will allow the idle circuit to be adjusted.

Thanks.

• zuch95701

Posted July 18, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Nobody is looking to start a war on this forum... and I don't think there was bad information in my post... the Yamaha tuner will not access below 1/8 throttle. If anything, maybe there was a lack of information in your original post. When someone comes in here and says they were able to fix a problem that many of us are having, we want all possible information, setup examples, etc. so we can all join in.

Glad your bike is working great. Meanwhile, I will continue to hound my dealer to come up with the programmer that will allow the idle circuit to be adjusted.

Thanks.

Didn't mean to come off rude. Sorry guys. I will call up Zach and find out his settings and what programer he is using.

• BFox

Posted July 18, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Mine seems to fire when cold on the second or third button press... but once i've been riding for a while, re-starting it is a bear.

I've been thinking of a better battery too.... but along the lines of a Lithium Battery to save weight. But then I think a special charger would be necessary? Let us know what you end up doing.

Yes special tender is required which brings up a point that my buddy told me about with the Betas he sells that peolple option to get the Shorai battery.The charging curcuit on bikes keeps dumping in 14 volts and ruins them.Thinking of just getting a higher CCA lead acid unit I gotta dig deeper with this BS starting issue. All 3 of my last 4t Huskies started just by looking at the button.They werent FI but youd think it would be a no brainer over a carb.One even started itself in the middle of the night but thats a whole other story

• zuch95701

Posted July 18, 2012 - 11:31 AM

Called my service manager. He is using the factory Yamaha FI management tool. It can assess all parts of the computer even the stock computer. The part is listed in the wr450f manual. He reduced the idle circuit by 2%. It is the old programmer used for the quads scooters etc. Hope that clears everything up.

• BFox

Posted July 18, 2012 - 12:25 PM

Called my service manager. He is using the factory Yamaha FI management tool. It can assess all parts of the computer even the stock computer. The part is listed in the wr450f manual. He reduced the idle circuit by 2%. It is the old programmer used for the quads scooters etc. Hope that clears everything up.

Excellent work

• supermega1

Posted July 18, 2012 - 12:25 PM

He reduced the idle circuit by 2%.

Wonder if that is just another name for adjusting the idle RPM which is adjustable in the Power Programmer.

Also figured I would put in how my starting is:
Cold - starts first time every time. Even without the cold start button
Warm - Starts about 90% of the time first time.
Hot - Starts probably 40% of the time if I am lucky.

Generally when I hit the kill switch then restart I don't have any problems. Now if I stall it then try and restart when hot that's when the battle begins.

Edited by supermega1, July 18, 2012 - 12:48 PM.

• zuch95701

Posted July 18, 2012 - 01:56 PM

Wonder if that is just another name for adjusting the idle RPM which is adjustable in the Power Programmer.

Also figured I would put in how my starting is:
Cold - starts first time every time. Even without the cold start button
Warm - Starts about 90% of the time first time.
Hot - Starts probably 40% of the time if I am lucky.

Generally when I hit the kill switch then restart I don't have any problems. Now if I stall it then try and restart when hot that's when the battle begins.

He did not adjust the idle rpm. That is done by the adjustment screw. He leaned out the idle circuit which can not be done with the power programmer.

• BoiseBee

Posted July 18, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Bad Ass, dude. Thanks for going the extra mile and getting that info.

I called my dealer and told them what your dealer said, and they have the FI management tool and told me to bring the bike down for some tweaking. Hopefully soon we'll all be able to put this issue behind us... the rest of the bike has been amazing.

• zuch95701

Posted July 18, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Bad Ass, dude. Thanks for going the extra mile and getting that info.

I called my dealer and told them what your dealer said, and they have the FI management tool and told me to bring the bike down for some tweaking. Hopefully soon we'll all be able to put this issue behind us... the rest of the bike has been amazing.

They will need a new interface to use the FI tool with the WR. Also if they have access to sniffer the adjustments really need to be tailored to the bike.

Edited by zuch95701, July 18, 2012 - 09:03 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.