2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • mc1hd

Posted June 04, 2012 - 01:01 PM

I'm guessing about what the book calls for a disassembled motor (1.20 L - 1.27 US qt.). I dumped the oil at the riding park in a container and waited till the next day to finish the job. Removed the drain bolts again and got some more oil out of the motor before putting it back together. Maybe that explains the problem.

• A X E

Posted June 04, 2012 - 07:13 PM

I drained mine for a long time including leaning it over side to side. Mine took at least an extra 4-6 oz. I didn't measure it, jusg added a little more running it in between a couple oz at a time.

• Micfasto

Posted June 07, 2012 - 10:18 AM

What is the final verdict on the 2012 WR ? Is it a must have or can I pass it up and hold put for Honda's FI 450 (2014 maybe?)

• msgbean

Posted June 07, 2012 - 11:52 AM

What is the final verdict on the 2012 WR ? Is it a must have or can I pass it up and hold put for Honda's FI 450 (2014 maybe?)

I think only you can answer that considering most of the people here who have one probably wouldn't buy a Honda anyway. :cry:

• vick715

Posted June 07, 2012 - 12:03 PM

Must have hands down. The 450x won't ever even compare. I'd be surprised if Honda continues the x line being that they sell very few.

• Micfasto

Posted June 08, 2012 - 08:33 PM

I think I am hesitant on the whole FI thing. It works fine on my street bike but I am nervous about beingn stranded 30 mile form the truck with a bad fuel pump. Add that to the $8500 OTD price and I have to talk myself into it.

• Corkster

Posted June 08, 2012 - 09:49 PM

Just installed a Rekluse EXP 2.0. Have backed off the adjusters completely at the perch and in-line but still have too much play when I rev the motor. About 10-15mm instead of 3mm at the lever. Has anyone else had this problem with the 2012 model?

• kvillektm

Posted June 10, 2012 - 06:45 AM

I have had a 12 for 2 weeks, just got it out on some tight st yesterday, wasn't bad except for the fact I brought my 11ktm 300xc along with some fresh suspension, big f-ing difference. It might be a little better out west, (open), but I rode my wr about 15 miles and then got out the 300 to try out the new suspension(just a rebuild and springs) and we rode about 25 more, the 300 feels like a mountain bike. I don't do enough open riding or have long fast distances to cover, I prefer the 300 hands down. I should have kept my senses and waited for a 13 ktm 2st. Any other questions pm me. Don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way, the 2st just suits me and my type of riding better.

Just installed a Rekluse EXP 2.0. Have backed off the adjusters completely at the perch and in-line but still have too much play when I rev the motor. About 10-15mm instead of 3mm at the lever. Has anyone else had this problem with the 2012 model?

I have a used z start from a 07 wr that I let the dealer put in and upshifting requires the clutch in the low gears, works fine otherwise, can lock up the brakes, downshift no problem, the guy at the dealer said he had the thinest steel plate in and it just needed to be broke in. When I rode the bike at the dealer (no Rekluse) shifting was pretty smooth. I was thinking about the yanking the old zstart and getting 2.0. Have you ridden it yet?

• Corkster

Posted June 10, 2012 - 02:08 PM

I have had a 12 for 2 weeks, just got it out on some tight st yesterday, wasn't bad except for the fact I brought my 11ktm 300xc along with some fresh suspension, big f-ing difference. It might be a little better out west, (open), but I rode my wr about 15 miles and then got out the 300 to try out the new suspension(just a rebuild and springs) and we rode about 25 more, the 300 feels like a mountain bike. I don't do enough open riding or have long fast distances to cover, I prefer the 300 hands down. I should have kept my senses and waited for a 13 ktm 2st. Any other questions pm me. Don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way, the 2st just suits me and my type of riding better.

I have a used z start from a 07 wr that I let the dealer put in and upshifting requires the clutch in the low gears, works fine otherwise, can lock up the brakes, downshift no problem, the guy at the dealer said he had the thinest steel plate in and it just needed to be broke in. When I rode the bike at the dealer (no Rekluse) shifting was pretty smooth. I was thinking about the yanking the old zstart and getting 2.0. Have you ridden it yet?

Don't want to ride it until I find out what the problem is, just in case I burn out the clutch. Waiting for a response from Rekluse.

• Micfasto

Posted June 10, 2012 - 04:55 PM

I am also considering a 300xc. Too confused to drop $9000 on a new bike just yet. Also my Dynaring equiped xr400 is still treating me really well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zuch95701

Posted June 10, 2012 - 05:00 PM

I have had mine for a little over a month now and all i can say is it is the best bike i have ever ridden. I do a lot of AA trail riding, tight technical woods and open desert. It works everywhere great and is just an animal through the rocks. I have done some work to it like stabilizer, and getting the clickers set up right. Several of the guys I ride with have also said it is the best bike they have ever rode. One rides a very hot big bore yz250f, and the other an 09 ktm 300xc-w. In my opinion I am glad i have bought it and would buy it again if i had to go back. The FI is flawless and if you play around with maps you can get the power delivery perfect for ever riding condition. Just checked the ECU tonight and it said I have 12 hours on it. Defiantly been putting seat time in.

• Lumberjack450

Posted June 12, 2012 - 03:29 PM

Wired up the harness for my HID helmet light today and ordered my FMF slip on . Plan on modifying the airbox when the pipe comes...
waiting til the end of june to get that 3 gallon tank! May order a 14t CS and handguards in the meantime. Summer = work = money for parts and payments but I can only ride early AM or night, 115 is a little toasty for full black gear :devil:

• mc1hd

Posted June 14, 2012 - 09:44 AM

Corkster, did you resolve your problem with the Rekluse Exp? Just got mine and plan on installing today, will post results later. I've never ridden a bike with one of these clutches so really don't know what to expect. Free wheeling when off the throttle going down hill doesnt sound all that great as well as rolling backwards when on hillside. Has 30 day moneyback guarantee if it does not pan out so thats a plus.

• mc1hd

Posted June 15, 2012 - 09:13 AM

Installed the Rekluse exp 2.0 yesterday and had no issues with the clutch play. Only had to back off the on the fly adjuster four or five turns and it worked as instructions stated. After the initial break in (riding in the backyard) this thing feels pretty sweet, looking forward to a real ride this weekend. About the money back guarantee I guess they feel pretty confident about their product. Also intalled the IMS 3 gallon tank, fits excellent and does actually hold 3 gallons. You do have to trim the radiator shrouds but they give you a template and its very easy.

• hodaka125

Posted June 15, 2012 - 12:39 PM

How hard was it to install the fuel pump into the tanks any leaks. How much fuel left whe fuel light comes on. Thanks

• Corkster

Posted June 16, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Corkster, did you resolve your problem with the Rekluse Exp? Just got mine and plan on installing today, will post results later. I've never ridden a bike with one of these clutches so really don't know what to expect. Free wheeling when off the throttle going down hill doesnt sound all that great as well as rolling backwards when on hillside. Has 30 day moneyback guarantee if it does not pan out so thats a plus.

Yep all fixed - I was adjusting the wrong way. After riding this weekend I will be changing the springs to engage at low rpm. The EXP engages at higher rpm than the old Rekluse Pro I had on my last bike. I prefer the lower engagement, especially for engine braking downhill. Once you get used to them you will never go back.

• Corkster

Posted June 16, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Just finished a ride weekend in the rain and mud. I love this bike! Just being able to change the mapping to the mud setting makes the 2012 worth it. Like riding a nice old tractor up the hills. Get to the open stuff and use full throttle and more than 50% revs and your full power 450 is back - magic!!

• Navaho6

Posted June 17, 2012 - 09:25 AM

Every Honda that I've ridden has felt slightly better in the handling dept. than my Yamaha's but I chose WR's because of the durability of the valvetrain and smoothness of the motor. It will be interesting to see what Honda comes out with next.

I rode the 2012, 2009 and 2006 WR450's back to back yesterday in some hilly, deep sand tracks with a lot of jumps. The '09 had stock suspension. The '06 had Race tech valving and slightly heavier fork springs (.47), and the 2012 was stock. I am 165 lbs, b-level rider. Both the '09 and '06 are mine, set up at 105mm sag. The '2012 was at stock settings.

My impression of all three:

2009: stock suspension is rediculously inadequate. Sure, that can be fixed. For my style of riding, it is a little twitchy even at 106 mm of race sag, with forks set flush with top of clamp and with a steering damper. You have to be agressive and 100% focused in the turns all the time. My guess is that the alum. framed WR's have a steeper rake, at least that is the way it feels to me. Depending on your riding style, this may be good or not so good.

2012: stock suspension is purely phenominal!!! I jumped off a 2-foot ledge at high speed and it was if I never left the ground. Very supportive but ultra smooth action! No harshness whatsoever. Motor is nice and smooth but feels corked up because it is. Handling is a little better than the '09 simply because of the suspension but still feels a little less stable than my '06 WR. The sag was obviously wrong for my weight. It was difficult to wheelie. I'm not alone in this judgement - http://www.motorcycl...tout-Video.aspx This problem along with the perceived squirrelly cornering might easily be corrected with the proper sag setting. Hopefully I will get to confirm this later if my buddy lets me experiment with his bike. The reviews of the 2012 show that many of the riders were setting the sag to only 95mm. Quite a bit taller than the 104 - 106 recommendation for the previous year model.

2006: Still my favorite right now for two reasons - very stable cornering and stable when on the back wheel. The geometry of the chasis makes it easy to go fast. Very surefooted. I am getting very close to finding the proper valving combo for this bike but I think it would be the perfect bike if the suspension could be as good as on the '12. That's not going to happen without a YZ suspension swap. However, I may be convinced that the '12 is a better bike, if different settings result in much greater cornering stability.

Edited by Navaho6, June 17, 2012 - 09:48 AM.

• Lumberjack450

Posted June 17, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Navajo, your '12 wheelie issues would be resolved with a pipe and remap. Just did mine and pulled a high speed wheelie like half a mile long, easy... it's scary with that FMF and remap.

• Navaho6

Posted June 17, 2012 - 07:02 PM

It wasn't a power issue with the 2012. The balance point was hard to get to. I'm hoping it was just improper sag setting because I've seen some long ones performed on this bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.