2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:25 AM

I have a 2011 yz450, and I understand they are very different bikes. I know that the yz450 guys have found that when you are trying to start it when hot, it helps to give it just the slightest crack of the throttle, barely any at all. It usually fires right up.

Anyone try that with one of the FI WR450's to see if it helps with starting at all?

I even do this with my carbed '08 and it always seems to work better this way.

• A X E

Posted May 31, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Sounds like an easy solution, but not really a fix. With FI, you shouldn't get finicky, you should get something that works predictably across a wide range of operating conditio.ns

• BoiseBee

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Sounds like an easy solution, but not really a fix. With FI, you shouldn't get finicky, you should get something that works predictably across a wide range of operating conditio.ns

I don't see what all this "finicky" starting hubub is all about.... uncork the bike, break the damn motor in, and the bike starts just fine. I just fired mine up tonight after sitting for a week and a half and it fired on the second press of the start button. Ran around the subdivision, purposely stalled it, and it fired right back up on the second press.

The thing is "finicky" as hell at first, but everyone I have talked to has no problem with the starting once the motor has some hours on it....

• supermega1

Posted June 01, 2012 - 07:29 AM

When its cold and been sitting for a while mine starts up just fine for me. Run around in the desert for a few hours then shut it down and it doesn't like to fire back up first time. This is in 90+ heat though.

• zuch95701

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:08 AM

I don't see what all this "finicky" starting hubub is all about.... uncork the bike, break the damn motor in, and the bike starts just fine. I just fired mine up tonight after sitting for a week and a half and it fired on the second press of the start button. Ran around the subdivision, purposely stalled it, and it fired right back up on the second press.

The thing is "finicky" as hell at first, but everyone I have talked to has no problem with the starting once the motor has some hours on it....

i put 10 hours on the motor this weeked and i have to agree. It gets easyier to start as time goes on. I was riding at 11,000 feet last weekend and she fired up 2nd or 3rd hit of the button.

• zuch95701

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:10 AM

To all the '12 WR450F owners -

Talked with Jack at IMS and the oversized tank is due into them june 8th. Looks like it will be a 3 gallon tank. Goodfor about 75 miles by my math and riding experiance.

Wanted to share the news.

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted June 01, 2012 - 01:03 PM

Talked with Jack at IMS and the oversized tank is due into them june 8th. Looks like it will be a 3 gallon tank. Goodfor about 75 miles by my math and riding experiance.

That's good news but I hope to get more than 75miles from 3 gal.

Edited by YAMAHASAVAGE, June 02, 2012 - 05:12 AM.

• kawi380

Posted June 01, 2012 - 07:20 PM

This is what I am going to do with mine when I get it :cry: get some :cry:

• zuch95701

Posted June 01, 2012 - 07:57 PM

That's good news but I hope to get more than 75mpg from 3 gal.

from the last weekend in the desert the 2.1 gallons was good for 50 to 60 miles. So i figure 3.1 is good for 75 to 80 max.

• supermega1

Posted June 02, 2012 - 11:09 AM

That's good news but I hope to get more than 75miles from 3 gal.

My rides generally are 60-70 miles and I get back with more then a comfortable amount of gas to spare. I've also started filling the tank up higher then the "recommended" amount though as well.

I figure I am probably using gas at the same rate that its expanding so overflow caused by expansion probably won't be a problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mc1hd

Posted June 03, 2012 - 06:18 AM

Had the opportunity to have one in my hand two weeks ago that was going to a sponsored rider. Had a quick fill set up and the capacity said 2.8 gallon. I also talked with IMS about the tank and was told 3 gallon, ordered one from my local shop with the regular cap. Will report back with fit and finsh when it comes in.

• vick715

Posted June 03, 2012 - 02:59 PM

Anybody have parts list/part numbers for the items needed to remove the throttle stop?

Part # for Yamaha throttle stop replacement screw is 91317-05008 my parts guy told me its a chain gaurs screw for a yz125

• vick715

Posted June 03, 2012 - 03:20 PM

I need some help with the throttle stop on my 2012 WR. How do I remove and replace the screw? I have been away from riding for 30+ yrs and couldn't help myself so, I bought the WR. I have no idea how to access the FI to fix the throttle issue.

Hey I just did mine the other day. Remove the muffler and head pipe. The throttle stop is a black anti tamper torx screw located on the bottom side of the throttle body. Let me know if you need more info

• vick715

Posted June 03, 2012 - 04:34 PM

Ok Gents so here is what I've got so far. I bought the new 12 WR450F two weeks ago Picked it up on May 18. Went for a brief break in ride about 28km/17.5 miles next day. Left it straight out of box for first ride. I am 6'4 250lbs. Suspension was really well set up right from stock. Noticed only had 1/2 throttle available, good power but choked up. Bike felt great - coming from older WR250 2 stroke I was very impressed. Following week ordered and installed Acerbis hand gaurds with the aluminum inserts. Went out on 3 rides after with bike still stock on 26th & 27th. Put on about another 100km/60 miles of really good hard riding. Still was dissappointed in bike being choked up. Pulled airbox plug out yesterday, removed throttle stop, took out for a short rip, 110% improvement, I've order the comp ECU and Throttle stop, hoping to get it late this week. Still planning to change muffler as well So far i'm really impressed bike handles well, weight feels very well distributed, suspension gives very good feel, power is strong. Ecu now installed, going to go rippin this week sometime!

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted June 03, 2012 - 04:48 PM

Ok Gents so here is what I've got so far. I bought the new 12 WR450F two weeks ago Picked it up on May 18. Went for a brief break in ride about 28km/17.5 miles next day. Left it straight out of box for first ride. I am 6'4 250lbs. Suspension was really well set up right from stock. Noticed only had 1/2 throttle available, good power but choked up. Bike felt great - coming from older WR250 2 stroke I was very impressed. Following week ordered and installed Acerbis hand gaurds with the aluminum inserts. Went out on 3 rides after with bike still stock on 26th & 27th. Put on about another 100km/60 miles of really good hard riding. Still was dissappointed in bike being choked up. Pulled airbox plug out yesterday, removed throttle stop, took out for a short rip, 110% improvement, I've order the comp ECU and Throttle stop, hoping to get it late this week. Still planning to change muffler as well So far i'm really impressed bike handles well, weight feels very well distributed, suspension gives very good feel, power is strong. Ecu now installed, going to go rippin this week sometime!

I strongly recommend getting the ECU reprogrammed with the FMF program once you get your comp ECU and muffler. This seemed to make the biggest improvement overall for me. The new map cured the stock lean condition and decel pop, plus improved the starting.

• A X E

Posted June 03, 2012 - 07:13 PM

This is my third bike with FI, while I dont claim to an expert, this system is certainly the most finicky of the three. I can add about another half dozen friends bikes includiing Japs, Euros, and Brits and I dont recall any issues with the FI, but for whatever reason this FI system seems to be limited in the range of adjustment. I also question the need for the "starter knob" as described in the manual. I know of no othe FI motor that needs a manual choke. Seems a little substandard to me. I think Yamaha installed a "poor mans" FI
system to keep the price down.

While I dont subscribe to the fueling getting better with more hours, I suppose the valves could have been out of spec some upon delivery and are coming in with some time on the motor. I considered mine broken in after the first hour or so of riding. Now it is just in the early stages of wearing out.

Anyway, it is a pretty good bike and I just finished with all the street legal stuff, so hopefully this summer will bring a couple rides in the cool mountain air.

Edited by A X E, June 03, 2012 - 07:19 PM.

• Jekel

Posted June 04, 2012 - 04:19 AM

If you ride with large elevation changes the new F.i.WR sounds dreamy. I 'll buy one from somebody who didn't like it and sells after it's been sitting in their garage for a year.

:-)

• mc1hd

Posted June 04, 2012 - 09:37 AM

How much oil are you guys getting into the motor to bring it up to the full mark with a filter change?
Book states 1 L (1.06 US qt.)
So after dumping the oil and filter I put 1 liter back in and started up the bike and let it warm up. Then a short ride around the block, after letting the bike sit straight up for 20 seconds or so (enough time to get a shop rag and remove the dipstick) no oil what so ever on the dipstick. Let it sit another minute and still no oil on dipstick. Ended up adding quite a bit more oil to get it on the full mark after heating it up and checking twice more. Way over what the manual states, just going by what the dipstick shows. Is this correct?

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:37 AM

How much oil are you guys getting into the motor to bring it up to the full mark with a filter change?
So after dumping the oil and filter I put 1 liter back in and started up the bike and let it warm up. Then a short ride around the block, after letting the bike sit straight up for 20 seconds or so (enough time to get a shop rag and remove the dipstick) no oil what so ever on the dipstick. Let it sit another minute and still no oil on dipstick. Ended up adding quite a bit more oil to get it on the full mark after heating it up and checking twice more. Way over what the manual states, just going by what the dipstick shows. Is this correct?

One quart only for me. How much more did you put in?

• zuch95701

Posted June 04, 2012 - 11:57 AM

One quart plus a splash more, never had to add any more than that.

Edited by zuch95701, June 04, 2012 - 11:58 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.