2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • supermega1

Posted May 19, 2012 - 06:38 PM

The programmable ECU comes with the stock map as default. So if you don't program it its like riding it with the stock ECU.

According to the new Dirt Rider the competition ECU comes "with a preset competition calibrated map". :cry:

• A X E

Posted May 19, 2012 - 08:21 PM

You can get to the throttle stop screw from the gear shift side with a 1/4 " elbow and extension. I use a socket to hold my torx bit. It takes a little fiddling but can be done.

• hodaka125

Posted May 20, 2012 - 07:59 AM

Thanks guy will start working on throttle screw today. Also looking for frame guards that will fit my wr.450 anyone know of
A specific brand that will fit

• A X E

Posted May 20, 2012 - 05:48 PM

So is anybody running a steering stabilizer yet? I was thinking about adding one, but not sure if I need to do the suspension first.

I have messed with the suspension some more and while I have it feeling pretty good, I am near the light end of all compression and rebound settings and can't really get my sag in the optimum range. The springs are pretty heavy for a stock bike and I am around 225 lbs. with gear.

Also, I loaded up the ECU with the Yamaha map they show for the stock can (I have a PMB insert in mine) and it runs pretty well. Nice linear power in the low to mid range and hits pretty good on top. My only complaint is that the bike still does not want to start easy when warm, so you have to pull the fast idle plunger out. It'll crank easy when cold.

I ran mine on the highway a little more today and it really handles nicely up until about 75 mph, then the motor is wound out too much and it is pretty buzzy. I passed a few vehicles today and hit about 80 mph and the front end was super twitchy in dirty air. I damn near thought I was gonna have to roll off and not make the pass. Another reason why I need to get the suspension dialed in better, I just don't think the front end is getting enough weight over it.

Edited by A X E, May 20, 2012 - 05:49 PM.

• publicenemy

Posted May 21, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Picked up 2012 WR540F last weekend. I'll second that the throttle stop is no joke.. Removed throttle stop, replaced with M5 10mm and have ordered the programmable ECU and tuner. Will run without throttle stop and pea shooter until equipment arrives.

• CaocaoWR

Posted May 22, 2012 - 06:27 PM

A friend of mine finally just got a WR450f '12 shipped from US yesterday. He has a Yoshimura slip on on his YZ450f 2010 but it does not fit on the WR. Now he definitely want a GYTR pipe. It seems that this FMF powercore 4 does not being sold widely online, but the yamaha motor official page only(available on July???)
Does anyone here have the link of a dealer where we can purchase this online? We offten buy stuff from Rockymountainatvmc and motorcyclesuperstore but those two do not have the Powercore4 for WR450 2012. Can a powercore4 for older WR fit on the new 2012?

• r687

Posted May 22, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info on the throttle screw. The ECU did come with a replacement screw to plug the hole. Last night I put on the GYTR pipe, ECU, throttle stop, loaded the GYTR pipe map, and removed the air box duct. The valve on the gas tank vent line was installed backwards. The arrow was pointed away from the tank. I took it out for the first rip today and holy shit this thing hauls the mail. Fourth gear wheelies and the suspension was awesome. The gearbox was very notchy and it was hard to find neutral, not sure if thats normal, maybe I'm used to roadrace bikes. The only way it would start was with the hot start whether it was cold or warmed up. It ran awesome but the fuel light came on after only 36 miles. I ran a forest road, logging roads, and some single track. I thought I would get more range than that. I hope one of those tanks comes out soon.

• publicenemy

Posted May 23, 2012 - 04:32 AM

Received my programmable ECU and programmer. Am planning on keeping the stock pipe for the time being (removing the pea shooter). Is there a map to load or will I just need to run the default competition map?

• Bandit9

Posted May 23, 2012 - 05:57 AM

My buddy, Navaho rode one and said Neutral was hard to find. I think that is good, don't want to find neutral while riding....

• msgbean

Posted May 23, 2012 - 06:09 AM

The gearbox was very notchy and it was hard to find neutral, not sure if thats normal, maybe I'm used to roadrace bikes.

I was disappointed the first couple of days I had mine because I had to use my hand to find neutral. But just a few rides in it totally went away and now I never have any trouble.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lumberjack450

Posted May 23, 2012 - 06:58 AM

Very happy with mine... I'm 170 without gear but the fork feels amazing, I ride desert and mountains very aggressively and the only thing I need to change is soften up the shock a little..
The MX 51 front is very sketchy, but I have learned to ride it better and better. taking it to mexico soon, going to get a 15t counter sprocket for the miles of and see how fast this beast will go!

• BFox

Posted May 23, 2012 - 04:45 PM

A friend of mine finally just got a WR450f '12 shipped from US yesterday. He has a Yoshimura slip on on his YZ450f 2010 but it does not fit on the WR. Now he definitely want a GYTR pipe. It seems that this FMF powercore 4 does not being sold widely online, but the yamaha motor official page only(available on July???)
Does anyone here have the link of a dealer where we can purchase this online? We offten buy stuff from Rockymountainatvmc and motorcyclesuperstore but those two do not have the Powercore4 for WR450 2012. Can a powercore4 for older WR fit on the new 2012?

Ordered powerbomb headpipe and powercore muffler for an 09 yzf450 and fit no problems

• A X E

Posted May 23, 2012 - 05:10 PM

My neutral is hard to find as well. I sort of have it figured out, but I was going to try and adjust the clutch and see if it gets better. The rest of the gear box seems to be pretty smooth.

My fuel light comes on around 35 miles too and I have pushed it to 45 miles, but I doubt it would get much more than that.

There might be some air bleed screws on the throttle body to help with the starting issues. This is not normal for a fuel injected bike, starting and idling should be a given (mine idles great). If Iunderstand the ECU manual, starting and idling are not affected by prgramming at all. So either the starting portion of the program that is hard mapped in the ECU is dicked up perpetually or there should be a mechanical means of making the adjustment.

Edited by A X E, May 23, 2012 - 05:11 PM.

• CaocaoWR

Posted May 23, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Ordered powerbomb headpipe and powercore muffler for an 09 yzf450 and fit no problems

He try the Dr.D full system for WR450-07 and it fit amazingly.
Posted Image
But without the Comp. ECU and proper map, the bike run like a choked dog, and sometimes stall suddenly.
Cannot experience the power yet, though I have to say the handling is much better than my '07.

• BFox

Posted May 24, 2012 - 05:20 AM

He try the Dr.D full system for WR450-07 and it fit amazingly.
Posted Image
But without the Comp. ECU and proper map, the bike run like a choked dog, and sometimes stall suddenly.
Cannot experience the power yet, though I have to say the handling is much better than my '07.

Nobody wants to ride a choked dog

• BajaFool

Posted May 24, 2012 - 07:19 AM

I have heard of "chocking the chicken", but I would have to plead ignorance about "chocking a dog". :cry:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 24, 2012 - 08:16 AM

I wonder why Yamaha has not moved the linkage to the underside of the swing arm like the YZ's.

• msgbean

Posted May 24, 2012 - 08:30 AM

I wonder why Yamaha has not moved the linkage to the underside of the swing arm like the YZ's.

Maybe it's less prone to damage being tucked further up.

• o313

Posted May 24, 2012 - 12:07 PM

Maybe it's less prone to damage being tucked further up.

And queue the silence of the lambs scene where the guy is in front of the mirror.

In all seriousness I wanted to hear from the actual owners/riders what their impressions are on the new FI?

• trailhead2004

Posted May 24, 2012 - 01:16 PM

Just picked up my 2012 WR450 last Saturday. Haven't gotten it out on the trails yet, waiting on a few more parts. Probably take it out next week, I'll report back.

BTW, a couple of comments on other posts here. [Supermega1] The Comp ECU preloaded map is flat, all zeros. I found that out by "downloading" it from the ECU after I installed it. I just plugged in one of the basic maps on the sheet that comes with the ECU. one of the things I think is nice about the programmer is that you can store up to 9 preset maps.

[Bandit9 and msgbean] Also, speaking with the Corporate Yamaha guy at the dealer Tuesday, he said the bike comes oiled up with some form or other of 50 wt oil and it makes the shifting notchy and not too fun. He said break it in for an hour and change it out for full synthetic 15-30 and it will work like a charm.

[AXE] The Scotts damper will work fine. I just received the install/adaptor kit from them yesterday. Talking with Scotts, they said it was virtually the same as the YZ250F but there was a little different hardware (?). Don't understand why but... Also, the Corp Yami guy said he would run a damper because of the steeper steering head angle, etc. I've been running one on my '08 WR and it was fine but probably overkill.

Again, haven't ridden it, race prepping the YZ250 for this weekend. That's all I can do to keep from hopping on it and takling it out for a blast!

trailhead :cry:

Edited by trailhead2004, May 24, 2012 - 01:18 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.