2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • BoiseBee

Posted May 16, 2012 - 09:35 AM

So if this is the same frame as the 250, why wouldn't the Unibiker guards for that bike work? Maybe the radiator is larger, but I also thought the side fairings were the same.

The radiator shrouds are the same as the YZ250, but the radiators on the WR are larger and the left one actually hangs down below the shroud.

Does anyone else think it is strange that people are talking about the 2012 WR450 as having a YZ250F frame but dimensionaly it is closer to the 2007-2011 WR450F?

All of the parts that bolt on to the frame are going to have similar dimensions to the older WR's.... however the 250 frame changes some dimensions pretty drastically such as seat-height, ground clearance, and peg height over older WR models.

• Swack62

Posted May 16, 2012 - 09:42 AM

what kind of oil do you guys use and what kind of oil filter. I know yamalube is good, but just curious what everybody else is using.

• o313

Posted May 16, 2012 - 09:55 AM

All of the parts that bolt on to the frame are going to have similar dimensions to the older WR's.... however the 250 frame changes some dimensions pretty drastically such as seat-height, ground clearance, and peg height over older WR models.

Here are some specs: 2012 WR450 / 2011 WR450 / 2012 YZ250F
Height 50.2 in 51.2 in 51.4 in
Length 85.0 in 85.6 in 85.4 in
Seat Height 37.8 in 38.6 in 39.0 in
Wheelbase 57.7 in 58.5 in 58.1 in
Width 32.4 in 32.5 in 32.5 in

Edited by o313, May 16, 2012 - 09:56 AM.

• supermega1

Posted May 16, 2012 - 12:28 PM

Figured I would lump a bunch of info together.

Oil
Shell Rotella T6 (Recommended by a friend that owns about 15 bikes and uses it in all of them. Older bikes don't like it as much though.
http://www.walmart.c...-1-Gal/14958681

Oil Filter
Scott's Stainless oil filter. I put it in after break in and will be changing my oil this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out. Its a quality part. Again recommended by a friend that won't use anything but one of these in his bikes.
WR 450F 2003 - 2012 - [Part No: 2153]
http://www.scottsonline.com/products.php?PartType=3&Bike=Yamaha

Unabiker Radiator Guards
I spoke with them week before last. The said last week they were picking up a 2012 and were hoping to have radiator guards and skid plates on the site by the end of last week (5/11) as all production goes I am sure its going to take them a little longer. I would expect them up any day now. I'll be first in line to by some that's for sure!

Cycra Hand guards
I've already broken the CRM Bars at the connection to the clamps. Going to try out the spacers for the bars to see if that relieves some of the stress on them. I had to do some work to get them to fit properly originally without the spacers.
http://store.cycrara...yspacerkit.html

Scott's Shark Fin
Also put one of these on about two weeks ago. Really nice piece.
http://www.scottsonl...e=2&Bike=Yamaha

Edited by supermega1, May 16, 2012 - 12:28 PM.

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted May 16, 2012 - 04:18 PM

I picked up the comp ECU today and the FMF PowerCore will come in tomorrow.
I don't have the Power Tuner yet so I can't remap the ECU. I understand I need the FMF baseline map programmed in but I don't know if my dealer can get to it before I ride this weekend.
My question is can I still ride without mapping the ECU without adverse affects? It's already lean without the throttle stop, will this setup make it worse?
Can the dealer remap the ECU if I just leave the part with them and put it on the bike later?

• zuch95701

Posted May 16, 2012 - 05:04 PM

Does anyone else think it is strange that people are talking about the 2012 WR450 as having a YZ250F frame but dimensionaly it is closer to the 2007-2011 WR450F?

The frame is identical to the 2012 yz250f according to Yamaha.

• A X E

Posted May 16, 2012 - 07:26 PM

I picked up the comp ECU today and the FMF PowerCore will come in tomorrow.
I don't have the Power Tuner yet so I can't remap the ECU. I understand I need the FMF baseline map programmed in but I don't know if my dealer can get to it before I ride this weekend.
My question is can I still ride without mapping the ECU without adverse affects? It's already lean without the throttle stop, will this setup make it worse?
Can the dealer remap the ECU if I just leave the part with them and put it on the bike later?

I would pull the inner peashooter out of the stock exhaust and replace the throttle stop screw and ride it until you get the new ecu programmed for the new can. I rode mine that way in some warm weather and it didnt miss a beat. Definitlely light on power but decent enough for a break in.

• mabton8

Posted May 16, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Is anyone aware of an oversized tank for the 2012 WR?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 16, 2012 - 08:58 PM

Safari has what looks like a 4 gallon or so tank, but I have not seen it advertised for sale yet.

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted May 17, 2012 - 04:59 AM

I would pull the inner peashooter out of the stock exhaust and replace the throttle stop screw and ride it until you get the new ecu programmed for the new can. I rode mine that way in some warm weather and it didnt miss a beat. Definitlely light on power but decent enough for a break in.

I've been riding with the peashooter, spark arrester, throttle stop and backfire screen removed. Are you able to ride with the new ECU without having a specific map installed?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msgbean

Posted May 17, 2012 - 07:33 AM

Are you able to ride with the new ECU without having a specific map installed?

The programmable ECU comes with the stock map as default. So if you don't program it its like riding it with the stock ECU.

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted May 17, 2012 - 07:40 AM

The programmable ECU comes with the stock map as default. So if you don't program it its like riding it with the stock ECU.

Thanks, that is what i needed to know.

• zuch95701

Posted May 17, 2012 - 11:40 AM

Spoke with someone at ims a few weeks ago they said they are working on a tank.

• mabton8

Posted May 17, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Did someone put a rekulse auto clutch on their 2012 WR? If so, which clutch did you install?

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted May 17, 2012 - 06:21 PM

I put the FMF slip on and ECU on today but didn't get it remapped. The sound is exactly what I was hoping for but...I did a few quarter throttle blips and it would shoot a flame about a foot long. It smoked like crazy when I shut it off (new packing?) after only running about a minute. Should I be concerned?

• A X E

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:04 PM

I put the FMF slip on and ECU on today but didn't get it remapped. The sound is exactly what I was hoping for but...I did a few quarter throttle blips and it would shoot a flame about a foot long. It smoked like crazy when I shut it off (new packing?) after only running about a minute. Should I be concerned?

Sounds to me like there is some residual packing burning off, but if you are getting flames much longer, it could be excess fuel detonating in the header or can. I would expect it to be lean, not rich. That's why the FS requires a spark arrestor, you never know what might be coming out the arse end.

• hodaka125

Posted May 19, 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hello can the throttle screw be removed by just taking off the header pipe

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted May 19, 2012 - 05:00 PM

Sounds to me like there is some residual packing burning off, but if you are getting flames much longer, it could be excess fuel detonating in the header or can. I would expect it to be lean, not rich. That's why the FS requires a spark arrestor, you never know what might be coming out the arse end.

You are right it was just new packing. And the flaming issue was solved when I remapped the ECU today which made a huge difference. Now this is the bike I was hoping for.

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted May 19, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Sorry that will not work. If you decide to get the comp ECU the replacement screw comes with it. If not just follow your throttle cables to the right side of the engine and you will find the screw at the the bottom of the throttle housing. You can replace it with a smaller screw or cut it like my dealer did.

• Swack62

Posted May 19, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yes you can remove the header pipe to gain better access to the throttle stop screw, that what I did after installing the gytr pipe and figured it was easier to change the throttle stop with the header pipe out of the way.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.