2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • zuch95701

Posted May 13, 2012 - 01:11 PM

Picked mine up yesterday. Completely tore it down and checked over everything, greased it all that jazz. Got my hand guards to fit, skid plate, rad braces, pipe and Cdi. I'm breaking it in tomorrow. I will toss up my map once I get it dialed in. The fmf map hits a little hard for my liking. Might take some timing out of it and see how it does.

• WR 911

Posted May 13, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Any good FI maps?

• BFox

Posted May 13, 2012 - 04:04 PM

Picked mine up yesterday. Completely tore it down and checked over everything, greased it all that jazz. Got my hand guards to fit, skid plate, rad braces, pipe and Cdi. I'm breaking it in tomorrow. I will toss up my map once I get it dialed in. The fmf map hits a little hard for my liking. Might take some timing out of it and see how it does.

Im almost thinking the map is OK just need different throttle tube. Less aggressive. What brand and weight of oil you guys use for break in?What hand gaurds did you run? You get the GYTR aluminum skid plate?

• zuch95701

Posted May 13, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Im almost thinking the map is OK just need different throttle tube. Less aggressive. What brand and weight of oil you guys use for break in?What hand gaurds did you run? You get the GYTR aluminum skid plate?

The throttle is a little quick but I didn't find it to bad. I do think that the fmf map is spot up. I did drop the timing one point down in the lower range and it hit a little softer but still pulled like mad at full throttle. I am running cycrya bark busters but they didn't fit well. They were left overs from my last bike. The gytr skid plate is perfect and the gytr rad braces fit perfect. I ran 10-40 Yamalube for break in. I'm going to switch to 10-50 Yamalube and see if the noise from the clutch will calm down.

Broke it in tonight and this thing is magic in the rocks once you soften up the fork by 2 clicks.

• BFox

Posted May 13, 2012 - 07:33 PM

My Cycra centre mounts fit like crap as well. Wrong loops in the right places. Meant for KTMs and Huskys. Amsoil 20/50 and it makes purring noises on decell like Ive never heard on a 4T dirt bike before. Change/check oil filter

• A X E

Posted May 13, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Ive got a set of hand guards form Highway Dirt Bikes and the fit, function, and look great. I wanted them cause I am going to have bike street legal and wanted the folding mirrors. They are spendy, but very solid and fit nicely.

I have a Shorai battery in my Hypermotard and it is awesome. Very lightweight and will crank that 1100 cc twin with ease. Had it less than 1 year , so can't say howling it will last.

• A X E

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:27 PM

Who makes a good radiator brace for the 2012? I want solid, but something that looks good too. Thanks for the suggestions.

• BFox

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Who makes a good radiator brace for the 2012? I want solid, but something that looks good too. Thanks for the suggestions.

My GYTR units are on the way. Cant comment.BB you got them?

• BoiseBee

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:38 PM

I've been looking hard at radiator braces/guards myself. I know the GYTR braces are very nice, look good and fit good. I've heard that the radiator guards offer better protection, but limit air-flow into the radiators.... what to do?

• A X E

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yeah airflow is key here in the desert. My neighbor has some that have good coverage and several small holes drilled in the guard, but not sure I like the look. He has never complained about airflow and I dont know what the brand or cost is.

Unabiker makes some beefy ones and they are not too expensive.

Edited by A X E, May 14, 2012 - 07:54 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • A X E

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:58 PM

By the way, I picked up a power tuner on eBay for $245 shipped from factorycycle in California. A couple other sellers had a similar deal. Got the ECU mapped, but have not ridden it yet since the bike is in pieces while I install my wiring harness from Ryco for the street legal kit.

• BoiseBee

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:35 PM

Unabiker makes some beefy ones and they are not too expensive.

Exactly. That's why i'm having a hard time deciding.... those UniBiker full guards are only five bucks more than the GYTR braces only.....

• BFox

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:47 PM

UniBiker has them already? BB tell us about your starting scenarios. Mine has got wiring junction plugs all over like its just waiting to be Dual Sported.BB did u by pass your clutch/start safety or did yours even have it?

• BoiseBee

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:12 AM

UniBiker has them already? BB tell us about your starting scenarios. Mine has got wiring junction plugs all over like its just waiting to be Dual Sported.BB did u by pass your clutch/start safety or did yours even have it?

I talked to Unibiker about a month ago, and he said as soon as he got a bike to measure that he would have guards ready to ship in two weeks.... so I would imagine he has them about ready to go?

Starting scenarios.... I just pull the cold start lever, and hit the start button in about 3 second intervals, and it usually fires after about the 3rd or 4th press if the bike has been sitting for a week.

My bike will start in neutral, or any gear with the clutch pulled, so I haven't changed anything on that.

• A X E

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:20 PM

So if this is the same frame as the 250, why wouldn't the Unibiker guards for that bike work? Maybe the radiator is larger, but I also thought the side fairings were the same.

• Corkster

Posted May 16, 2012 - 12:05 AM

My GYTR units are on the way. Cant comment.BB you got them?

GYTR fit really well and importantly keep the stock louvres for airflow. I'm happy with them.

• Corkster

Posted May 16, 2012 - 12:07 AM

My Cycra centre mounts fit like crap as well. Wrong loops in the right places. Meant for KTMs and Huskys. Amsoil 20/50 and it makes purring noises on decell like Ive never heard on a 4T dirt bike before. Change/check oil filter

Cycra guards fit really badly. Came in the package with mine otherwise I would have returned them. Go with Barkbusters.

• Corkster

Posted May 16, 2012 - 12:11 AM

Mmmm interesting point on the throttle tube. Maps do the same thing by going overrich which kills fuel range. Could be better to change the throttle tube with the full FMF map.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 16, 2012 - 07:13 AM

Cycra guards fit really badly. Came in the package with mine otherwise I would have returned them. Go with Barkbusters.

I wonder why that is as this is more a function of the bars than the bike. Are you using the standard U clamps or something different?

• o313

Posted May 16, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Does anyone else think it is strange that people are talking about the 2012 WR450 as having a YZ250F frame but dimensionaly it is closer to the 2007-2011 WR450F?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.