2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • Frostbite

Posted May 01, 2012 - 02:16 PM

That's awesome!

Have you ever considered one of the snow-bike conversion kits? 2 of the manufacturers are right here in Idaho and I've seen them out riding around and it looks like a total kick in the arse.

"
I looked at a few of the conversion kits and I may get the track setup that replaces the swingarm, but I wouldn't go with the "ski only" up front. I've tried a few different skis that work with the tire and "ski only" setup that replaces the tire. I found that the "ski only" works in fresh snow only. On hardpack snow or ice it's like riding with the front brake locked up. With ski only I couldn't even push my WR across a road to get across, the front just washed out. I had to drag the bike across. For overall riding the ski/tire combo is best and I can't tell when I'm on ski or tire. The only way to tell is when I backtrack and see where the ski was taking over in the snow. I run from pavement to snow to dirt to ice seamlessly, that's what I need.
I have the attrax setup for my bike but I only use it if I have to, if the snow's really soft. It gives better floatation than the tire, but is definitely nowhere near a snowmobile. It's great for bog, mud and sand too, BUT, when you get it stuck it is a bee-yatch to get out. Then you're trying to pull up 4 feet of track through whatever you're stuck in. Also, it's impossible to wheelie with the attrax, so riding is less fun and a bit dangerous. The attrax is narrow like a bike tire, so it feels pretty much like you're riding on a tire, so now and then I forget I have the track on and get surprised when I try to pop the front over a rut or chunk of ice. The track gives a harsh ride on hardpack or dirt since you don't have the air cushion of a tire.
In the snow, with tire or attrax, my bike feels exactly like a bike. I think the wide setup of the conversion kit would make the bike feel like a Sno-Hawk. I put a few hours on one and the wide rear track makes it handle more like a jet ski. The only time it really felt like a bike was on a fast groomed sled trail, and then it kind of felt like riding a Goldwing, a bit cushy and disconnected from the trail, not a lot of feedback. It was terrible trying to ride tight trails since the track was always trying to straighten you up, even though it has a slight curve. I think the conversion kit track would be the same on hardpack, but would probably be great for fresh snow, much better than the attrax. I would use the conversion track with my ski/tire for soft snow.

http://Posted Image

The attrax throws a ton of snow or mud too. In mud, the rear fender catches the center bit, but there's a fire hose spray that shoots forward over each shoulder, and in snow it fills the airbox up fast. the tire doesn't do this. Good thing the 07 and 2012 have easy access to the airbox so when the bike grogs out I stop and pop open the panel and scoop out the snow. On my 99 400 I had to take the seat off, sometimes a couple of times per hour. That gets old fast.

Edited by Frostbite, May 01, 2012 - 02:59 PM.

• Frostbite

Posted May 01, 2012 - 02:27 PM

That had to leave some marks in your floor!

Haha! I avoided scratches. The stand kept the rear wheel up and there's a piece of plywood under the front. I slid the bike to the door on the stand and once the front wheel was out I lifted the back and carried it out.

• woods-rider

Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:07 AM

The attrax throws a ton of snow or mud too. In mud, the rear fender catches the center bit, but there's a fire hose spray that shoots forward over each shoulder, and in snow it fills the airbox up fast. the tire doesn't do this. Good thing the 07 and 2012 have easy access to the airbox so when the bike grogs out I stop and pop open the panel and scoop out the snow. On my 99 400 I had to take the seat off, sometimes a couple of times per hour. That gets old fast.

Ever tried putting some sort of mesh screen over the airbox openings to cut down on the amount of snow getting in there? They may plug up with snow first and all you would have to do is run your hand over the screens to clean them off.

• Lumberjack450

Posted May 03, 2012 - 11:20 AM

Would a fellow '12 owner measure the length of the tank bolt on the frame directly in front of the cap? I lost it :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2012 - 01:25 PM

Something is not right with your Rekluse. Your clutch plates should be lasting longer, not shorter. Even with the low and soft engagement setting where it slips more, my clutch plates last 2 to 3 seasons before I change them "just because". If you are a heavy rear brake dragger, then your rekluse will stall the bike unless you turn your idle up just a little. But you probably know that.

One thing that commonly happens is that the Rekluse works so well that people begin to abuse it without necessarily meaning to. I sometimes find that I've neglected to downshift in a place and situation where I would have been forced to with a normal manual clutch, but getting away with it so easily that it escaped my notice of it for the moment. If one gets in the habit of this, and rides a gear or even two higher than he should a lot of the time, the clutch will be slipping a good bit more of the time than it should, and wear will naturally be accelerated. It can also make you a bit "lazy" and you may find yourself "leaning on" the clutch at low speeds instead of picking the pace up a bit to get it locked up as you would have with a manual.

Setting the engagement point too high or the engagement rate too slow can contribute to the problem, too. Mine's been great so far in my '06 YZF. I ran my used Z-Start Pro with the bike's original clutch plates for a complete season of desert racing, then changed them at the end of '11 only because they weren't releasing cleanly anymore. I don't see a lot of wear in any of it. BTW, I use only OEM Yamaha friction plates. No cheap knock offs. Right now, because of a parts counter foul up from the vendor my sponsor uses, I'm running a plate set for an '09 YFZ-R quad (2 YZ450 plates for the inner and outer ends, and 6 R1 plates for the middle) and it's working even better than the all YZF set up did.

• Frostbite

Posted May 03, 2012 - 04:17 PM

Would a fellow '12 owner measure the length of the tank bolt on the frame directly in front of the cap? I lost it :banghead:

It's a 30mm. The photo was taken at a slight angle, so it looks a bit longer, but it's 30. Lucky I went out to measure, 'cause mine was loose.

• Frostbite

Posted May 03, 2012 - 04:18 PM

Ever tried putting some sort of mesh screen over the airbox openings to cut down on the amount of snow getting in there? They may plug up with snow first and all you would have to do is run your hand over the screens to clean them off.

I've never tried that, I'll give it a shot next time I have the track on. :banghead:

• Lumberjack450

Posted May 03, 2012 - 06:50 PM

It's a 30mm. The photo was taken at a slight angle, so it looks a bit longer, but it's 30. Lucky I went out to measure, 'cause mine was loose.

I don't believe were talking about the same one... If I remember correctly it was almost three inches long, and only had threads on the last inch..

here:
Posted Image

Edited by Dezert_Man, May 03, 2012 - 06:59 PM.

• BFox

Posted May 04, 2012 - 09:19 PM

• Frostbite

Posted May 05, 2012 - 02:22 AM

I don't believe were talking about the same one... If I remember correctly it was almost three inches long, and only had threads on the last inch..

here:
Posted Image

That's the bolt I removed for the photo.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BFox

Posted May 05, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Its alive. May go for a rip tomorrow. BB did u just leave the FMF tune in there? Ur probably at a lot higher altitude than me.Shes an angry beotch

• BoiseBee

Posted May 05, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Its alive. May go for a rip tomorrow. BB did u just leave the FMF tune in there? Ur probably at a lot higher altitude than me.Shes an angry beotch

Nice! Have a good ride tomorrow. Yes, I currently still have the FMF map in there and it runs like a raped ape. I have played with the tuning a fair amount, but I don't know what the hell i'm doing and the results haven't been pretty.... I can't wait for some professionals to get some new mapping variations out on the site here.... it would be nice to see sand, single track trails, and mellow "long trail ride" map with good fuel economy.

• BFox

Posted May 05, 2012 - 07:00 PM

What is ur altitude there? Im basically sea level. Looking at the chart that came with the ECU its seems backwards that with the GYTR head they retard the timing and lean it out. Are u trying to add more fuel and advance the ignition. Didnt know it came with a Yammi bomb factory on the header pipe. Sounds sweet with the full FMF though.Guess I got a spare exxhaust

• BoiseBee

Posted May 05, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Altitude here locally is 3200 feet. I also ride at the cabin which is 6200 feet. You're right, the Yammi bomb on the pipe is a nice feature, and when paired with the FMF exhaust, it sounds and performs awesome.

I tried copying the differences between the desert map and single track/woods map from the stock chart, and applying those differences to the stock FMF map to see if I could come up with a better map for cabin riding, but the bike doesn't seem to perform very well.... i'm just no expert for sure when it comes to this fuel injection adjustment stuff...

• TooFast

Posted May 07, 2012 - 08:35 AM

K<a href="http://ktmtalk.com/i...r=79944">rannie style_images/2/offline.gif

Posted: May 3 2012, 06:24 PM

act=Post&CODE=06&f=160&t=450991&p=4016417' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>style_images/2/p_quote.gif

Posted Image

KTMTalk Member
style_images/2/pip.gif

Granada Hills (Los Angeles), CA
Member No.: 79944

style_images/2/spacer.gif
Just thought I'd start fresh.

Current state of affairs:

• GUTS TALL COVER
• GUTS TALL FOAM
http://ktmtalk.com/i...ST&f=3&t=310659 SKID PLATE
FASTWAY REAR DISC GUARD
FASTWAY EVO LOWER PEGS
H*DE RACING SKID PLATE
• GOLAN IN LINE FUEL FILTER
• SLIPSTEAM TANK FUEL SOCK
• JD 6X controller (set as shipped)
MAP SWITCH (not installed )
• BAR RISERS/ SCOTTS TOP MOUNT
• Scotts frame mount
PRECISION CONCEPTS RE-SPRING AND RE-VALVE

OK, IT'S NOT SLOW ANYMORE!
OK, IT DOESN'T BOTTOM ANYMORE!
OK, IT DOES NOT SQUAT WITH WOT ANYMORE!

Posted Image[color="#ff0000"]Krannie[/color], on 25 April 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

Wellllllllllllll, I decide to go Orange, instead of Blue.

See you guys on the trail!

Posted Image
Krannie bought a KTM?? On the CRF450X forum you wanted God to put them all in a big pile. LOL!!

Poor Guy having to do all this to his new $10,000 KTM 500 XCW ...wonder how much $ he has in it now?

As of 4/12/12 KTM doesn't allow it's dealers to do ECU flashing

I'll stick with my Yamaha(s)

Edited by TooFast, May 07, 2012 - 08:39 AM.

• YHGEORGE

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:49 AM

K<a href="http://ktmtalk.com/i...r=79944">rannie style_images/2/offline.gif

Posted: May 3 2012, 06:24 PM

act=Post&CODE=06&f=160&t=450991&p=4016417' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>style_images/2/p_quote.gif

Posted Image

KTMTalk Member
style_images/2/pip.gif

Granada Hills (Los Angeles), CA
Member No.: 79944

style_images/2/spacer.gif
Just thought I'd start fresh.

Current state of affairs:

• GUTS TALL COVER
• GUTS TALL FOAM
http://ktmtalk.com/i...ST&f=3&t=310659 SKID PLATE
FASTWAY REAR DISC GUARD
FASTWAY EVO LOWER PEGS
H*DE RACING SKID PLATE
• GOLAN IN LINE FUEL FILTER
• SLIPSTEAM TANK FUEL SOCK
• JD 6X controller (set as shipped)
MAP SWITCH (not installed )
• BAR RISERS/ SCOTTS TOP MOUNT
• Scotts frame mount
PRECISION CONCEPTS RE-SPRING AND RE-VALVE

OK, IT'S NOT SLOW ANYMORE!
OK, IT DOESN'T BOTTOM ANYMORE!
OK, IT DOES NOT SQUAT WITH WOT ANYMORE!

Posted Image[color=#FF0000]Krannie[/color], on 25 April 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

Wellllllllllllll, I decide to go Orange, instead of Blue.

See you guys on the trail!

Posted Image
Krannie bought a KTM?? On the CRF450X forum you wanted God to put them all in a big pile. LOL!!

Poor Guy having to do all this to his new $10,000 KTM 500 XCW ...wonder how much $ he has in it now?

As of 4/12/12 KTM doesn't allow it's dealers to do ECU flashing

I'll stick with my Yamaha(s)

LOL!!!!!!!!

• bobo1020

Posted May 07, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Got my 2012 wr450f 2 weeks ago. The dealer put in the Comp ECU, FMF pipe, and hand guards for me. I just did the throttle stop fix today what a big difference. I am not sure if the dealer programed the ECU for me. Anybody in Michigan that has the power tuner that might want to help me check? Thanks

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'm really liking this new bike but I just can't get past the sound, it sounds like my wife's TTR. I see everyone getting the FMF but the only one available right now is the Power core 4. Am I wrong in assuming that this can is more restrictive than the Factory 4.1 which is the one I really like in titanium with carbon fiber end cap. I need the sound of my old YZ but am concerned that the aforementioned slip on won't satisfy my ears and the little guy in my head that tells me there's bigger and better to come if I could just hold out.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm really liking this new bike but I just can't get past the sound, it sounds like my wife's TTR. I see everyone getting the FMF but the only one available right now is the Power core 4. Am I wrong in assuming that this can is more restrictive than the Factory 4.1 which is the one I really like in titanium with carbon fiber end cap. I need the sound of my old YZ but am concerned that the aforementioned slip on won't satisfy my ears and the little guy in my head that tells me there's bigger and better to come if I could just hold out.

Hmmm, I think it's in your head. I have a powercore on my '08 and to me it sounds the same as a buddy's '08 that has the 4.1. I think the power core 4 sounds pretty nasty.

• BoiseBee

Posted May 09, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Dude, just get the PowerCore 4.... wicked sound and performance for a great price.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.