2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • YHGEORGE

Posted April 28, 2012 - 09:04 AM

Ya the 450 sxf is tempting...awesome bike for sure. I have always prefered the handling of a Yamaha over a KTM. The front wheel on a KTM is so tucked in and twichy, I just can't relax and trust the front end on those bikes. I also love how much cheaper the Yami parts are and how well they are built. KTM's are built really well too, but I would rather spend the time getting my Yami setup over setting up a KTM and then feeling scared everytime i shift it out of 1st. I've owned a few orange bikes over the years and have tryed almost everything to get them to feel more planted. I guess everybody has a kind of bike that just suites them better. With KTM's you really have to steer with the back wheel. With my Yami's I can get over the bars in rocky rolly turns and not worry about the front end washing or biting.

I find the Rekluse works awesome for my YZ, but the good always comes with the bad, this means more maintenance. I am always adjusting the cable tension and the plates wear out quick, twice as fast as stock setup. The oil is also contaminated much quicker...it's not really a big deal but, I don't normally replace my clutch pack until end of season on a thumper. With the rekluse, I am replacing clutch pack at least 2-3 times per season. The Rekluse does not eliminate stalls, it just reduces the frequency.

I really like this new WR, so I'm usually lurking and watching what you guys are doing and seeing how they are coming along before I seriously consider one.

You are doing something wrong dog. my experience is that when properly set-up, they are long lived and basically maintenance free.

Edited by YHGEORGE, April 28, 2012 - 09:05 AM.

• Bandit9

Posted April 29, 2012 - 09:57 AM

How is the clutch pull?

• Corkster

Posted April 30, 2012 - 02:15 AM

You are doing something wrong dog. my experience is that when properly set-up, they are long lived and basically maintenance free.

And completely eliminate stalls.

• Frostbite

Posted April 30, 2012 - 02:39 PM

My 2012 finally arrived, serial number 0000000000007.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I popped the necessary parts in an installed a spare set of plastic I had for my 07. The rear fender was identical. 2 of the front fender bolt holes didn't line up, so I filled the existing holes with a hot glue gun and redrilled using the 2012 fender for a template. The rad shrouds were completely different so I simply tied them on with wire.

Installed the new ski.
Posted Image

I built a new set of spiked tires so I mounted them and popped them on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Set the ECU to the suggested GYTR setting for the FMF exhaust

Posted Image
Rolled her out the door

Posted Image

and went for a spin.

Posted Image

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted April 30, 2012 - 04:55 PM

Kinda weird that older shrouds fit the new tank

• stevethe

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Wow you got snow.
Nice serial number.

• nnamssorxela

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:36 PM

:banghead:

Kinda weird that older shrouds fit the new tank

The rad shrouds were completely different so I simply tied them on with wire.

• Bandit9

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:43 PM

So is it safe to assume that these items from my 06 WR450, rear disc guard, TM Designs Slide N Glide, Fastway Pegs, Shorai Battery, and Black Excel rims will fit the 2012?

• BoiseBee

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:43 PM

My 2012 finally arrived, serial number 0000000000007.

and went for a spin.

Well..... how'd it ride in the snow? What bike did you have before?

That is a great Canadian serial number.... I got mine 7 weeks ago, and got USA serial # 75

Wow.... Nunavut... that is WAY the heck up there! Enjoy the WR.

• BoiseBee

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:59 PM

So is it safe to assume that these items from my 06 WR450, rear disc guard, TM Designs Slide N Glide, Fastway Pegs, Shorai Battery, and Black Excel rims will fit the 2012?

The frame from '06 to the '12 is substantially different. In order to get Fastway's for the 2012 WR450, I had to order pegs for the 2012 YZ250 and have Fastway include a longer Kamber bolt and spacer from a different kit. You'll probably just have to mount them up, see how they fit and call Fastway and order a few additional parts to make it all jive....

All your other parts should be fine...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:25 PM

That is good to hear. Thanks Bee.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to wait for the 13..........

• Frostbite

Posted May 01, 2012 - 03:08 AM

The rims will fit, even my 99 rear wheel fits. To fit my 99 front wheel on my 07, I just had to take the bearing out of the ODO side of the 07 wheel and pop it in the 99 wheel, and use the 07 spacers. The 2012 wheels look identical to the 07, so wheels from 99 and up will fit.

• Frostbite

Posted May 01, 2012 - 03:15 AM

Well..... how'd it ride in the snow? What bike did you have before?

That is a great Canadian serial number.... I got mine 7 weeks ago, and got USA serial # 75

Wow.... Nunavut... that is WAY the heck up there! Enjoy the WR.

I started with a 99 WR 400 and then an 07 450. With a few mods they are great on snowmobile trails, not great in powder. The front ski is key - I was making daily trips over the bars before I got one, zero since.

Clip of the 99

and a clip of the 07

We have 3 months snow free, so most of my riding is in snow.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 01, 2012 - 03:19 AM

Excellent write-up Frostbite!!! And your serial number is awesome!!! Take that "007"!!!
Maniac

• Frostbite

Posted May 01, 2012 - 03:24 AM

Excellent write-up Frostbite!!! And your serial number is awesome!!! Take that "007"!!!
Maniac

I was thinking of putting it on my number plates.

• BFox

Posted May 01, 2012 - 10:01 AM

BB and Frostbite did yours come with reflectors pop riveted to the rear fender right behind the seat?They gotta go.Going to check my serial # when I get it home and out of the box on the weekend. Cant wait. Picking up Beta 520rr as well

• Frostbite

Posted May 01, 2012 - 01:30 PM

BB and Frostbite did yours come with reflectors pop riveted to the rear fender right behind the seat?They gotta go.Going to check my serial # when I get it home and out of the box on the weekend. Cant wait. Picking up Beta 520rr as well

Yes, reflectors are riveted and there's one bolted to a small bracket hanging below the taillight. My WR came with more bolt on reflectors for the front. Since I switched plastic I don't have reflectors, but when I put the blue back I'll drill out the rivets.

• BoiseBee

Posted May 01, 2012 - 01:41 PM

We have 3 months snow free, so most of my riding is in snow.

That's awesome!

Have you ever considered one of the snow-bike conversion kits? 2 of the manufacturers are right here in Idaho and I've seen them out riding around and it looks like a total kick in the arse.

• BoiseBee

Posted May 01, 2012 - 01:43 PM

No reflectors on the USA spec. bike

A Beta 520rr also?? I think I hate you. LOL. I almost bought a Beta instead of the new WR, but I didn't want to drop that kind of coin without getting fuel injection....

• woods-rider

Posted May 01, 2012 - 01:45 PM

Rolled her out the door

Posted Image

That had to leave some marks in your floor!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.