2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • BoiseBee

Posted April 25, 2012 - 07:47 AM

It's a big ugly headlight but it sure as hell works great. I've ridden in the dark with it for a about 2-3 hours between a few different rides that we started late in the day just to make them more interesting. Works pretty good and has great output. Gave you enough distance at speed to not worry about obstacles.

I've got to agree.... I don't understand all of the negative comments about the friggin' headlight.... my buddies mostly ride Honda, and those ugly azz rectangle headlights look terrible, and don't work nearly as well as the light on my WR. I guess if you don't want a light at all, then I can see the issue, but if you ride at dusk like I often do, I'll keep it.

Posted Image

• BoiseBee

Posted April 25, 2012 - 07:54 AM

My old 07 WR had really low footpegs and cases. I was hanging up on everything. Does this new bike have more clearance? My 11 YZ has high pegs and I love it and I'm 6'3", the clearance is great for nasty tech stuff. I just put tall bars on and was done with it.

Yes, the 2012 has more ground clearance than the 2011, and with the new frame, the pegs are WAY up there. I'm a big dude like you, and I just got done dropping my pegs an inch, and they feel SO much better now, and there is still a ton of clearance....

• A X E

Posted April 25, 2012 - 01:21 PM

BoiseBee, can you tell me what the specs were for your new springs and where you got them? I am gonna try and avoid the additional cost, but if I can't make it work I will spend the money to get the supsension worked out.

As for the big headlight, I personally like the looks of it and bought the WR to use a little on the roads too where it is helpful to be bigger and brighter. I would recommend adding a Sylania Silverstar Ultra or similar high end bulb. For $30-40 bucks, you can get some additional light out of them, but the bulb life is not quite as good.

Out!

• YHGEORGE

Posted April 25, 2012 - 03:22 PM

I'm with you A X E, I am 225 with gear also, and my sag was almost spot-on from the factory... I went ahead and had everything re-sprung for my weight per KYB specification and re-valved, and now the suspension is just amazing. The little bit of wallow in the front end is gone, and the rear shock is extremely compliant, but a real PITA to try and bottom out. Love this suspension!

Who did your revalve? Thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Wellllllllllllll, I decide to go Orange, instead of Blue.

See you guys on the trail!

Posted Image

• BoiseBee

Posted April 25, 2012 - 07:18 PM

BoiseBee, can you tell me what the specs were for your new springs and where you got them? I am gonna try and avoid the additional cost, but if I can't make it work I will spend the money to get the supsension worked out.

Who did your revalve? Thanks.

Guys, I got my suspension work done by TBT Racing.....
http://www.tbtracing.../suspension.php

The specs. on the setup sheet I received with my receipt are as follows:
FORK
Spring .50kg
Preload +3mm
Compression 16
Rebound 18

SHOCK
Spring 5.9nm
High Speed Compression 1.5
Low Speed Compression 14
Rebound 18

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 25, 2012 - 07:20 PM

the first things I would do is remove front headlight and that terrible speedo wire on the right side leg, then rear light and overflow jug, light weight Li Ion battery and a full FMF exhaust system. That would probably be close to 10 lbs off. Then YZ cams, hi comp piston, porting/polishing and race gas......ah fack, I'll just ride my YZ. Is there some way possible to get E start onto the new YZ??? Then I could get rid of the high maintenance Rekluse. If not, I'm probably in for a 13 (or left over 12) as well and just move it closer to a YZ now that it has a proper frame and suspension components.

My old 07 WR had really low footpegs and cases. I was hanging up on everything. Does this new bike have more clearance? My 11 YZ has high pegs and I love it and I'm 6'3", the clearance is great for nasty tech stuff. I just put tall bars on and was done with it.

Too funny! That new yz seems like such a sweet bike.

You just gotta get the KTM 450sxf, It has the e-start.

What do you mean "high maintenance rekluse"?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 25, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Posted Image

Congrats! You even got the 500 instead of the 450.

• ROOSTNMT

Posted April 26, 2012 - 03:22 AM

Posted Image

Krannie bought a KTM?? On the CRF450X forum you wanted God to put them all in a big pile. LOL!!

• Navaho6

Posted April 26, 2012 - 10:17 AM

Everyone is ranting and raving about the new KTM 4t's. The magazines praise it. I don't hear the same about the new WR450 but then I haven't heard anything bad either. So, what do you guys think about your new WR's and how does it compare to your previous rides?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • A X E

Posted April 26, 2012 - 01:36 PM

I see there is a local TBT Racing shop in Phoenix, I may have to give them a call if I decide to go with new bits. What shop did yours? What was the fork oil level?

I read plenty of articles from the rags that seemed to like the WRF and tout its reputation along with added improvements. I only have 35 miles on mine, so I probably can't say "how good this bike is going to be"! However, I can say, between all the street and offroad stuff I have bought in the last decade, it would appear to be as good as any other new machine I have swung a leg over or plopped my arse. There in nothing substantially unique or different that hasn't been around for several years, so I am sure it will be reliable.

If I would complain about anything, it is this bike is way too corked up to be rideable without immediately working on the bike. You need to be equipped with the competition ECU, short throttle stop screw, and programmer to make this a "real" bike. My ECU just came in, but now my dealer said they had a programmer, but had no idea how to program it. I asked to borrow it, cause I have done it plenty, but they wouldn't "loan out" shop tools. So now, I either have to find someone else locally that has a programmer or drop another $300....................W T F?

In the meantime, I pulled the peashooter and put in my own throttle stop screw and she runs pretty good. Also, I have been working supsension, installing some Highway Dirt Bike handguard mirrors and some other street legal stuff. She should ready to rip shortly.

Edited by A X E, April 26, 2012 - 01:40 PM.

• supermega1

Posted April 26, 2012 - 01:42 PM

I see there is a local TBT Racing shop in Phoenix, I may have to give them a call if I decide to go with new bits. What shop did yours? What was the fork oil level?

I only have 35 miles on mine, so I probably can't say "how good this bike is going to be"! However, I can say, between all the street and offroad stuff I have bought in the last decade, it would appear to be as good as any other new machine I have swung a leg over or plopped my arse. There in nothing substantially unique or different that hasn't been around for several years, so I am sure it will be reliable.

If I would complain about anything, it is this bike is way too corked up to be rideable without immediately working on the bike. You need to be equipped with the competition ECU, short throttle stop screw, and programmer to make this a "real" bike. My ECU just came in, but now my dealer said they had a programmer, but had no idea how to program it. I asked to borrow it, cause I have done it plenty, but they wouldn't "loan out" shop tools. So now, I either have to find someone else locally that has a programmer or drop another $300....................W T F?

In the meantime, I pulled the peashooter and put in my own throttle stop screw and she runs pretty good. Also, I have been working supsension, installing some Highway Dirt Bike handguard mirrors and some other street legal stuff. She should ready to rip shortly.

Where in AZ are you located. If you can hold off until Mothers day I'll be in Good year AZ for four days and would be happy to meet up with you and program it for you. Takes like 1 minute to do. Just let me know what map you think you would like from the list that are posted earlier in the thread and I'll make sure its ready.

Also there is a video on Yamaha's website. The dealer should be able to watch that and figure it out, then pick one of the maps that comes with the comp ecu put the values in the programmer and send it to the ecu. I am used to working with automotive ECU's so this thing was a snap to use and program.

Edited by supermega1, April 26, 2012 - 01:50 PM.

• SurvivorMan

Posted April 26, 2012 - 02:40 PM

Too funny! That new yz seems like such a sweet bike.

You just gotta get the KTM 450sxf, It has the e-start.

What do you mean "high maintenance rekluse"?

Ya the 450 sxf is tempting...awesome bike for sure. I have always prefered the handling of a Yamaha over a KTM. The front wheel on a KTM is so tucked in and twichy, I just can't relax and trust the front end on those bikes. I also love how much cheaper the Yami parts are and how well they are built. KTM's are built really well too, but I would rather spend the time getting my Yami setup over setting up a KTM and then feeling scared everytime i shift it out of 1st. I've owned a few orange bikes over the years and have tryed almost everything to get them to feel more planted. I guess everybody has a kind of bike that just suites them better. With KTM's you really have to steer with the back wheel. With my Yami's I can get over the bars in rocky rolly turns and not worry about the front end washing or biting.

I find the Rekluse works awesome for my YZ, but the good always comes with the bad, this means more maintenance. I am always adjusting the cable tension and the plates wear out quick, twice as fast as stock setup. The oil is also contaminated much quicker...it's not really a big deal but, I don't normally replace my clutch pack until end of season on a thumper. With the rekluse, I am replacing clutch pack at least 2-3 times per season. The Rekluse does not eliminate stalls, it just reduces the frequency.

I really like this new WR, so I'm usually lurking and watching what you guys are doing and seeing how they are coming along before I seriously consider one.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 26, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Ya the 450 sxf is tempting...awesome bike for sure. I have always prefered the handling of a Yamaha over a KTM. The front wheel on a KTM is so tucked in and twichy, I just can't relax and trust the front end on those bikes. I also love how much cheaper the Yami parts are and how well they are built. KTM's are built really well too, but I would rather spend the time getting my Yami setup over setting up a KTM and then feeling scared everytime i shift it out of 1st. I've owned a few orange bikes over the years and have tryed almost everything to get them to feel more planted. I guess everybody has a kind of bike that just suites them better. With KTM's you really have to steer with the back wheel. With my Yami's I can get over the bars in rocky rolly turns and not worry about the front end washing or biting.

I find the Rekluse works awesome for my YZ, but the good always comes with the bad, this means more maintenance. I am always adjusting the cable tension and the plates wear out quick, twice as fast as stock setup. The oil is also contaminated much quicker...it's not really a big deal but, I don't normally replace my clutch pack until end of season on a thumper. With the rekluse, I am replacing clutch pack at least 2-3 times per season. The Rekluse does not eliminate stalls, it just reduces the frequency.

I really like this new WR, so I'm usually lurking and watching what you guys are doing and seeing how they are coming along before I seriously consider one.

Your description of the KTM is spot on. I am a guy that likes to ride neutral to rear position, so it works for me by running a little less sag (100 vs 110) and sliding the forks up a bit. My front is definitely lighter than all the yamaha's I've owned but is far from being twitchy. The 08 up frames fixed that. But... no way I'd ride a KTM without my stabilizer cranked up an extra notch.

I have not found KTM parts to be more expensive that the yamaha parts, not at all. I also find my KTM easier to work on than my yamaha.

If KTM can ever stop changing their engines and refine what they have, their reputation will be better. I think they got it right with the new engines, but wouldn't want to be the one to discover that they didn't. Been there.. done that.

That being said, Yamaha WR's are like an old chevy truck... they've run the pretty much the same drive train for 10+ years. No wonder its solid. Yamaha has it all figured out.

Something is not right with your Rekluse. Your clutch plates should be lasting longer, not shorter. Even with the low and soft engagement setting where it slips more, my clutch plates last 2 to 3 seasons before I change them "just because". If you are a heavy rear brake dragger, then your rekluse will stall the bike unless you turn your idle up just a little. But you probably know that.

I like this new wr also. I like my ktm, but my wr is my go-to bike. As great as the KTM is, the Yamaha is a sure thing...

• Navaho6

Posted April 26, 2012 - 05:35 PM

................ I don't normally replace my clutch pack until end of season on a thumper. With the rekluse, I am replacing clutch pack at least 2-3 times per season.

Wow, you must ride a lot. I have 3500 miles on my '06 WR, all single track riding. Never checked the clutch plates until last weekend. New plates are 3.09 mm. Usable thickness is a minimum of 2.85 mm thickness per owner's manual. My plates, after 6 years of use, measured 3.01 mm.

• BoiseBee

Posted April 26, 2012 - 06:14 PM

The California shop did mine... they actually came up to Idaho for the national Hare & Hound event, and did my suspension while they were here. Fork Oil and Height is listed as "MX5 - 375cc". Shock Oil / Nitro is "K2C - 165 psi".

My ECU just came in, but now my dealer said they had a programmer, but had no idea how to program it. I asked to borrow it, cause I have done it plenty, but they wouldn't "loan out" shop tools. So now, I either have to find someone else locally that has a programmer or drop another $300....................W T F?

Find a new dealer.... Even though I bought a programmer, my dealer already had the FMF map installed when I picked up the bike. There is no excuse for a dealer to not know how to use the friggin programmer... its been out for 3 years now. And to not let you borrow it to program it yourself??? TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! If you can't get it worked out, I will FedEx my programmer to you with the map already installed and you can just download it out of position #1 and send it back to me. Wow... just.... Wow.

• BoiseBee

Posted April 26, 2012 - 06:43 PM

Everyone is ranting and raving about the new KTM 4t's. The magazines praise it. I don't hear the same about the new WR450 but then I haven't heard anything bad either. So, what do you guys think about your new WR's and how does it compare to your previous rides?

Yeah, I noticed the latest addition of "Dirt Rider" once again had a KTM 450 as the main line story.... I emailed them and said &%$#@!? Why no WR-450 reviews, and they told me they hadn't gotten one for review yet.... yeah, right. I got mine on March 9th, and you're telling me a major publication can't get a review model prior to the national release??

I'll never bag on another brands bikes, but I can tell you the new WR450 is extremely smooth, has very little vibration, corners and handles amazing, has excellent suspension, and with the new fuel injection... is very quick, responsive, and powerful. Add it all up with Yamaha dependability and it was a no-brainer to me. Sure, you do have some serious un-corking to do, but when you consider the ECU and FMF pipe are only $399, the Yami is still an unbelievable value.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted April 26, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, I noticed the latest addition of "Dirt Rider" once again had a KTM 450 as the main line story.... I emailed them and said &%$#@!? Why no WR-450 reviews, and they told me they hadn't gotten one for review yet.... yeah, right. I got mine on March 9th, and you're telling me a major publication can't get a review model prior to the national release??

I'll never bag on another brands bikes, but I can tell you the new WR450 is extremely smooth, has very little vibration, corners and handles amazing, has excellent suspension, and with the new fuel injection... is very quick, responsive, and powerful. Add it all up with Yamaha dependability and it was a no-brainer to me. Sure, you do have some serious un-corking to do, but when you consider the ECU and FMF pipe are only $399, the Yami is still an unbelievable value.

Keep in mind that there is quite a bit of lead time between testing and putting the info out in the mag. I don't know what it is now days, but it used to be about 2-3 months. So if the bikes were released in March, I would expect at least until May until you read a magazine review on the WR. As to uncorking, companies like Honda and Yamaha have a much bigger footprint and exposure to deal with than a company like KTM, so they (especially Yamaha) will always go extra conservative. It sucks, but at least we won't have to deal with sales being halted by the feds (RMX450Z).

• A X E

Posted April 26, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Gentlemen, I really appreciate the offer to help with my ECU programming. I may have to take you up on this if my dealer doesn't come through tomorrow. I don't want to hammer on the dealer too much just yet, but since I bought three bikes (2 KX65s for my boys) that day I thought I would get a little more support. I think the service guy just didn't really want to deal with it at the time I talked with him, so I will give him a second chance. The problem is that the dealer is ways from my house, so I don't want to be running back and forth and dragging the bike with.

I may just buy the damn programmer and be done with it. I wasn't really planning on doing any significant power mods, so did want to waste $300 for a one time deal.

We'll see what happens tomorrow when I got to pick up the ECU...........maybe I'll be surprised.

I don't have a lot of other dealers to choose from, as the other Yamaha dealerships are all run by the same ownership group and they are absolutely horrible to deal with in terms of sales and service. I do buy some parts occasionally from them.

• A X E

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Well the chicken shit dealer didnt come through for me. The service manager said if I brought my bike back he would "figure it out". I said no thanks it will costt me more time and money to bring it back down to him than to just by the programmer. I guess $$14k worth of bikes wasnt enough to get priority service. I told the salesman I was pissed, he was a pretty nice guy and was only able to offer me a discount on some parts which he had previously said anyway.

Oh well, one step closer to getting the bike dialed in. I rode tonight around the hood to adjust the headlight. I didn't realize all you have to do is push the headlight up or down. Not sure it would stay in place in rough terrain, well see. The light is pretty damn bright and cast a a nice beam for a stocker, I like it!

Didn't get to rail on it since it still ain't street legal, but this thing corners damn nice on pavement even with the knobbies. Not quite my Hypermotard, but with a set of motard hoops and rubber it would be awesome.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.