2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • mabton8

Posted April 16, 2012 - 05:36 PM

I removed the peashooter from the stock muffler, and purchased the competition ECU. I'm alittle short presently to buy the tuner. Does anyone know of a provider of mapping service for the new ECU? I live in the southern California and will ride mostly in the local desert areas, maybe alittle riding in the Cajon Pass or Lake Silverwood trails (2000'-5000' elevation).

• msgbean

Posted April 16, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Does anyone know of a provider of mapping service for the new ECU? [/b]

Just have the dealer input the map that came with your ECU and be done with it.

• A X E

Posted April 16, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Mabton8, curious did you remove the whole double peashooter or just the smaller inside one? I just did the small one for now. I figure until I get the new ECU it would be too lean at 1300'.

Edited by A X E, April 16, 2012 - 06:49 PM.

• BoiseBee

Posted April 16, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Just have the dealer input the map that came with your ECU and be done with it.

+1

The FMF base map works really well with this bike for all kinds of different riding. I have played with the map settings on two different rides now, and keep going back to the base map. Hopefully some genius will figure out some maps for different terrains that actually make a difference.... I just don't have a strong enough grasp on the EFI yet...

• mabton8

Posted April 17, 2012 - 01:59 PM

A X E I removed only the inner peashooter as I am aloso waiting on the new ecu.

• msgbean

Posted April 17, 2012 - 03:39 PM

I installed the ECU last Friday and it really woke up the bike but still wasn't near my 07 with a YZ pipe. I installed the GYTR/FMF pipe today and it is now a gnarly bike. I can now say its better than my 07 power wise. This thing really rips. Now I just need to get the suspension dialed in to my liking, but so far I'm just chasing it. If anyone has any clicker suggestions for a 170 pounder to create a soft ride without bottoming send them my way.

• A X E

Posted April 17, 2012 - 05:36 PM

I see the manual says to run the bike for 3 minutes and then let it sit for a while. Then check the oil with the dipstick set in the case, but not screwed in at all. Over the years, I have seen this listed different ways for different mfgs. When I checked mine last night, it was at the low end of the check line after 34 miles. Screwed in it was over the full line. Not sure this is the correct procedure, but if you haven't been checking yours, you might want to check it out and add some if you need. I actually plan on draining mine now and will do three changes in the first 100 miles, since it only takes a little over a quart of oil and I am not running synthetic or anything expensive until I get about 10 hours on it, then I am switching over to Castrol RS4T10W50.

• Frostbite

Posted April 18, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Does anyone have a Canadian version yet? I just picked mine up yesterday evening in Ottawa and immediately brought it to air cargo to ship to Nunavut, so I haven't started it yet. It'll be here in a few days and all I have is the bike, no goodies. It was incredibly tough just finding one in Canada, let alone any parts. It's around -15 to -20 these days so I'm wondering how well it'll run stock, since they seem lean.

• Navaho6

Posted April 18, 2012 - 05:11 PM

Found this video of the new WR on an MX track:

Edited by Navaho6, April 18, 2012 - 05:13 PM.

• BFox

Posted April 18, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Does anyone have a Canadian version yet? I just picked mine up yesterday evening in Ottawa and immediately brought it to air cargo to ship to Nunavut, so I haven't started it yet. It'll be here in a few days and all I have is the bike, no goodies. It was incredibly tough just finding one in Canada, let alone any parts. It's around -15 to -20 these days so I'm wondering how well it'll run stock, since they seem lean.

Mine came in a week ago to Ft Mcmurray were Im working.Its still in the crate at the dealer.taking it home to lower mainland BC the first week of May. You need to get the exhaust insert or FMF muffler, the competition ECU and the YZ Power Tuner. If not ur left to run as others from the US have claimed.Leaned out,hard to start decel backfiring all that good stuff.Cold dense air makes for an even worse lean condition. Need to let it breathe and feed it more fuel

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted April 18, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Thanks BFox. So there is no WR power tuner, the YZ tuner works?

• BoiseBee

Posted April 18, 2012 - 07:30 PM

The power tuner is not model specific.... it works on all Yamaha FI bikes.

• BFox

Posted April 18, 2012 - 11:03 PM

The box mine came in says YZ Power Tuner.Frostbite, I ordered the exhaust insert for the stock muffler when I ordered the bike but then decided to get a full exhaust from an afternarket supplier at home. It should be in towards the end of the month and Ill have Dan the parts guy hold it for you if you like.4 Seasons Powersports in Ft Mac. 780 791 0060

• Corkster

Posted April 19, 2012 - 02:37 PM

Mine came with the GYTR insert for the muffler. This is a cheap and badly made copy of the PMB muffler insert. It has a slightly narrower diameter and no radiusing on the entry, so will not flow nearly as well. If you have the option, go for the PMB part (available from the Thumpertalk store) not the Yamaha part.

• Lumberjack450

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hit 100 miles today... all desert riding. Throttle stop, ecu and programmed for low-mid according to the paper, I prefer that program. Pulled the tip out of the exhaust, it noticeably increased throttle response. That will have to do til I get an exhaust system.
My opinion: rear a little stiff for me, everything seems to be set up well (5'11" 168). Pointed the levers down, went a notch down on the shifter after a couple missed shifts. This bike has very little head shake or death wobbles. It could use a 14 or 15 up front. Puts power to the ground amazingly well. A very flickable, sharp turning, nimble bike IMO. I dislike the MX51 front, it washes out too easy. A very sketchy front tire, especially on sharper turns at higher speeds. Definitely needs a big tank.

I love this bike.

• A X E

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:37 PM

So will the PMB endcap for the 2012 YZF work on the 2012 WRF? Is the stock can USFS approved for spark arrestor?

• msgbean

Posted April 21, 2012 - 10:39 AM

With the ECU programmed with the low/mid map and stock exhaust riding open country single track I got 26 MPG. With the FMF exhaust and matching map and riding rocky slower going single track I got 28 MPG. Bottom line once you hit the 50 mile mark you probably want to be close to the truck.

• A X E

Posted April 21, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Good info msgbean. Yeah this thing doesn't have much of a tank. Ive got a Ducati Hypermotard and I can barely get 100 miles on a tank. I have one of those soft 1.5 gallon fuel bladders that I can carry in a tail bag, so I can get into some more remote runs and back.

• Corkster

Posted April 21, 2012 - 05:32 PM

My thoughts after a day of riding single track and firetrails:

Good
  • Awesome forks - they feel too firm at first but then you realise you can point the bike up a steep rocky hill and just open the throttle. No deflection, no having to change lines to avoid mid-size rocks, I have never been able to do this before. My 09 WR would have been bouncing all over the place.
  • Great throttle response, no bog at any combination of revs, load or throttle
  • Mud map is great - takes all the hit out of the throttle and gives you complete modulation. Boring for normal riding but then you can just change the map to full power/response
  • Doesn't feel heavy at all
  • Proven reliable motor
Bad
  • Tank is too small - be aware that the mud map works by overfueling so you will run out real fast. I didn't measure my consumption but I got the warning light after 50kms with the mud map and 55kms with the stock map
  • It is a pig to start. I am used to a well jetted bike starting first time, ever time. This thing is way too lean at idle and the mapping doesn't change this. I guess the upside is that when you open the throttle after engine braking, you get an instant clean response as the inlet tract isn't overfueled
  • Stock Cycra handguards don't fit nearly as well as Barkbusters
  • Supplied GYTR muffler tip is badly made
  • Stock muffler still needs opening up to take advantage of the better flowing tip
  • Aussie model has piles of junk that need to be removed/swapped: taillight assembly frame removal, front brake line swap, rear brake switch swap, stand switch removal. The swap parts are all supplied but it is still a PIA and a day's work to do it all
On balance it is a great bike and I would thoroughly recommend it.

• SurvivorMan

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:47 AM

How big is the stock tank in litres?
On my 2011 YZ there is an idle adjuster on the cold start knob, you just turn it to increase or decrease idle rpm's...does the WR have this?
My YZ was really hard to start until 30 hours on the engine, I am guessing this bike will be the same way. Now it starts 1st kick almost everytime.
What are the spring rates front and back?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.