2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • drdfblackm

Posted April 13, 2012 - 11:43 AM

Got mine yesterday. Swapped ECU and mapped it, but how do you install the throttle stop? I feel like a dumbass...

Where are you located and what dealer did you get yours from??????

• Aardvarkzoo

Posted April 13, 2012 - 06:17 PM

I use Notoil with much success. I don’t use there cleaner. I can buy a big box of TSP for the same price of there one little bottle (It’s the same stuff). I also mix in a tablespoon of Tide to help degrease the seal (Vaseline works well and it cheep). Let it soak for 10 minutes and the dirt falls rite out. Rinse with hot water, squeeze and hang. It always comes out perfectly clean. If you start using Notoil for the first time you have to start with a perfectly clean filter. If there is any old petroleum residue on the filter it won’t work. Buy a second filter (stock or twin air) so you will always have a fresh filter ready to go.
Keep it clean!!!!

Dude!! It's is absolutely not TSP!!! Lol.. That stuff is toxic... It is primarily borax.. which is not toxic.. I sure hope you have been wearing gloves..lol.. Do yourself a favor and buy some borax or oxy clean....

• ROOSTNMT

Posted April 14, 2012 - 05:15 AM

Does the competition ECU have the base map to work with the FMF pipe??

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 14, 2012 - 05:32 AM

Dude!! It's is absolutely not TSP!!! Lol.. That stuff is toxic... It is primarily borax.. which is not toxic.. I sure hope you have been wearing gloves..lol.. Do yourself a favor and buy some borax or oxy clean....

Yeah, Tri Sodium Phosphate is very caustic and no-so-good for your insides or outsides.....it can put you into anaphlactic shock pretty quickly...........

• msgbean

Posted April 14, 2012 - 08:00 AM

Does the competition ECU have the base map to work with the FMF pipe??

Yes. It comes with 3 maps for the stock pipe and one for the FMF pipe. I ordered the ECU and the pipe but only the ECU came in for this weekend. The bike handles great but had no where the power or bottom end of my opened up 07. I put the map on for the stock pipe and it really improved the performance to about 90% of my 07. I suggest the ECU mapped to the stock pipe is a must if you can't afford any other mods. It's only $99 and worth every penny. I suspect when my pipe comes in Monday, power should be on par with my 07 and hopefully more. My 07 had a YZ muffler.

• WR 911

Posted April 14, 2012 - 05:24 PM

Trisodium phosphate has been used by painters for years and years as a heavy duty degreaser and all purpose cleaner. TSP is formulated for removing Grease, soot,and lead paint dust cleanup. TSP is absolutely NON TOXIC. LOL!!!! At worst it is an irritant. Try reading the MSDS, if you can read. Borax is sodium borate and is completely different.

Edited by WR 911, April 14, 2012 - 07:08 PM.

• BFox

Posted April 15, 2012 - 01:13 AM

I love how a thread evolves.Anyways my Power Tuner and bar risers have come in,still waiting for muffler insert,rad braces and competition ecu that initially didnt think was needed. When making list of all the gytr goodies I wanted there was no mention of it being required on the Canadian Yammy website, So out of maybe a little boredom and alot of anticipation and excitement I go back to the accessories link on the site and its a "note" at the bottom of the description of the power tuner.So I text my dealer and he replies to me to 'get off the US website only Canadian' I tell him I am.So he goes to the site and hes as bumfuzzled as me.He says &%$#@! that wasnt there?So he calls the rep and they missed that little detail. Now when you hit the accessories link the comp ecu is the first part that drops down on the list.Would have been more than a little distraught if I took the crate home and assembled the scoot only to find out that the power tuner was nfg or whatever was messing with my right to roost my buddies.Dont know how I would have taken that sort of letdown.Anyway ordered a full FMF exhaust for it earlier today that will go on after it gets taken out of the crate and taken apart and greased.
On a side note, I new NoToil cleaner was tsp the moment it touched my hands. I thought you crooks charging however how much for a substance that I could by 4 times as much of at Home Depot.Clever really. Dont know how well Borax would cut the oil, we use that up in the Great White North here for curing our salmon roe for use as fishin bait.

• GuyGraham

Posted April 15, 2012 - 02:11 AM

From the wikipedia page about TSP

Trisodium phosphate is approved as a food additive in the EU.[7]

• BFox

Posted April 15, 2012 - 03:20 AM

Yeah, Tri Sodium Phosphate is very caustic and no-so-good for your insides or outsides.....it can put you into anaphlactic shock pretty quickly...........
[/quhttp://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tsp+msds&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationalchemicals.com%2Fmsds%2Fdocuments%2F08MSDSTSP7_08.pdf&ei=iqyKT6LdLoewiQLLp-WlCw&usg=AFQjCNEqoDauqse4L5p9kwr1EKC_BY0mkQote]
Seems it cant kill a rat or even irritate a bunny

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2012 - 05:57 AM

[/quhttp://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tsp+msds&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationalchemicals.com%2Fmsds%2Fdocuments%2F08MSDSTSP7_08.pdf&ei=iqyKT6LdLoewiQLLp-WlCw&usg=AFQjCNEqoDauqse4L5p9kwr1EKC_BY0mkQote]
Seems it cant kill a rat or even irritate a bunny

Fine. I was wrong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aardvarkzoo

Posted April 15, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Trisodium phosphate has been used by painters for years and years as a heavy duty degreaser and all purpose cleaner. TSP is formulated for removing Grease, soot,and lead paint dust cleanup. TSP is absolutely NON TOXIC. LOL!!!! At worst it is an irritant. Try reading the MSDS, if you can read. Borax is sodium borate and is completely different.

I know, I was a painter..

Use it if you want but that's not the same stuff as no toil.... And it is pretty toxic.. It will burn..bad for water supply.. Banned in some states..etc.. I know borax isn't either..blah..blah.. But borax with laundry soap will work to clean no toil..

And it won't kill fish...

And please have some pity.. I grew up a poor midget wrestler and I can't read... It not my fault!

Sorry to derail the thread....

• A X E

Posted April 15, 2012 - 06:39 PM

I picked up my '12 WR450F yesterday from Apache in Phoenix. Paid $8835 OTD. Which broke down as $7600 for bike, $200 freight and prep, $725 for tax, and $310 for license/docs.

They got it in Friday and I put a deposit on it. There was already a backup deposit on it Saturday when I got there to negotiate price. Probably lucky they came off MSRP at all. They didn't know when another one would arrive, but 4 Seasons in Rye has one for $8500 OTD with street legal kit.

Got about 35 miles on it and so far it is great! Replace replaced the throttle limiting screw with a short one. Pulled the exhaust cap and eliminated the small tube inside the peashooter. It runs pretty well that way, at least it allows you to ride it while you await some upgrades. All corked up, it was hardley rideable for the 2 mile lap around the hood. She now revs up pretty good and should at least allow for break in.

I did two equal sessions for break in and I have my own version of Motoman's method. I run it on trails pretty normally making sure to run it through the gears and not lug it or rev it too high. Definitely get it up in the rpm range, just not too high or long. Did a few motors like that over the last several years and they ran pretty strong.

Edited by A X E, April 15, 2012 - 06:58 PM.

• A X E

Posted April 15, 2012 - 07:17 PM

I didn't set my suspension up yet, but that will be next. The rear seemed pretty good, but the front was a little harsh. For right off the floor it was pretty decent.

The bars probably need to be rotated forward or some risers added. It was a little hard to hang on when standing up. I am around 6' tall. Also, I missed alot of shifts, so I need to lower the shifter a notch too.

Things I don't like are the fact there is no neutral light, no hour meter, the seat is hard as a rock, the fuel tank is tiny, and the tail light does not light up when the brakes are engaged.

I will have to get get the competition ECU, some handguards, and some street legal gear and then I will be set.

• WR 911

Posted April 15, 2012 - 07:26 PM

I know, I was a painter..

Use it if you want but that's not the same stuff as no toil.... And it is pretty toxic.. It will burn..bad for water supply.. Banned in some states..etc.. I know borax isn't either..blah..blah.. But borax with laundry soap will work to clean no toil..

And it won't kill fish...

And please have some pity.. I grew up a poor midget wrestler and I can't read... It not my fault!

Sorry to derail the thread....

It’s all in fun bro. As a Fireman I can be abrasive at times.
Anyway, I set up my WR at the track and felt really good. The springs I installed where spot on and handle the track very well. I need to take it out to the desert where it is home and really open it up. The programmer is fun to play with to record maps for different riding conditions. It can’t come at a more perfect time because I need to rebuild my track bike which has 290 hours on it.
I love midget wrestling.
That’s funnier than a midget at a urinal.

Edited by WR 911, April 15, 2012 - 07:28 PM.

• msgbean

Posted April 16, 2012 - 06:18 AM

I missed alot of shifts, so I need to lower the shifter a notch too.

no hour meter,

I also had to lower the shift lever as i missed a lot of shifts. Actually it does have an hour meter. Its in the ECU but you need to connect the programmer to read it. So if it is important that you have an accurate hour reading and you plan on purchasing the programmable ECU you need to do it as soon as possible because when you change it it will start from zero again.

By the way could you guys drop the TSP/No Toil comments and start your own thread?

• supermega1

Posted April 16, 2012 - 07:40 AM

Went out and let my friend who's teaching me to ride (yeah this is my first bike and I had no prior experience) take it out so that we could test out a couple different maps as well as dial in the suspension a little better.

Here's a short video of him putting it through the paces. This is the smoothest section that we ride.

• Lumberjack450

Posted April 16, 2012 - 09:07 AM

In my opinion someone should start a mapping thread and make it a sticky.... Id really like to learn to fine tune this bike.

• Corkster

Posted April 16, 2012 - 12:28 PM

I also had to lower the shift lever as i missed a lot of shifts. Actually it does have an hour meter. Its in the ECU but you need to connect the programmer to read it. So if it is important that you have an accurate hour reading and you plan on purchasing the programmable ECU you need to do it as soon as possible because when you change it it will start from zero again.

By the way could you guys drop the TSP/No Toil comments and start your own thread?

x2

• A X E

Posted April 16, 2012 - 02:01 PM

msgbean, thanks for the heads up on the hour meter. I am not too anal about hours, but I do like to set my maintenance intervals by hours rather than miles. Nevertheless, I can do some quick math an come up with hours based upon my average speeds that I travel on other machines. I will do the comp ECU, but I think I will stick with the stock can for now. Then I got to get the street legal stuff done, so I can get out of town from my house.

I estimate that with my current configuration the bike is maybe 80% of performance cability of the motor. It definitely could use a better map and is no doubt running a little lean. It didn't seem to show any signs of overheating, but still not good for the long-term.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 16, 2012 - 04:21 PM

Is there a larger aftermarket tank yet?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.