2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • 426Braap

Posted March 31, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Picked mine up today :lol: from North Hollywood Yamaha :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and I cant wait to get it out on the trail! I had a 2002 YZ426 before this so I never had to do the uncorking or the mods that are needed to make it trail worthy. Looks like I have some reading on the how to's tonight. :doh:

Posted Image

• BoiseBee

Posted March 31, 2012 - 04:46 PM

Picked mine up today :lol: from North Hollywood Yamaha :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and I cant wait to get it out on the trail! I had a 2002 YZ426 before this so I never had to do the uncorking or the mods that are needed to make it trail worthy. Looks like I have some reading on the how to's tonight. :doh:

Congrats 426Braap! The mods are straight forward:

1. FMF exhaust
2. Programmable ECU
3. Remove throttle stop
4. Remove air box plugs

Get out and have a blast.

• BFox

Posted March 31, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Whats involved with the throttle stop removal BB? And air box plugs?

• J D R

Posted March 31, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Yamaha of Las Vegas. They've gotten two in already and sounds like they got a couple more coming in within the next couple weeks.

Accessories $813 (Comp ECU, Exhaust, Programmer, Skid Plate)
Dealer Prep $455
Doc Fee $199
Tax $737
Bike $8,090

OTD was 10,294. Thats tax, doc fees, and dealer prep. Wasn't too happy about having to pay dealer prep and doc fees but when the rest of the parts I ordered come in they'll put them on for free as part of the dealer prep fee. I wanted one and didn't want to have to go on a mission out of state or out of town so I am sure I could have shopped around and not paid the doc and prep fees but it was nice to drive 15 minutes and pick it up without hassle, and if anything goes wrong I can always go back to were I bought it from.

Yamaha finance is doing a 3.99 for 3 years so I put a 1k down. So can't complain gotta pay to play. My other option was to get a homie hookup but would have had to drive to Montana, so I'll consider the doc fee and dealer prep a "convenience" charge LOL.

Dealer prep was $455 never heard of dealer prep ?

• BoiseBee

Posted March 31, 2012 - 06:19 PM

Whats involved with the throttle stop removal BB? And air box plugs?

I just had the dealer replace the WR throttle screw with one from a YZ450 to allow for full throttle usage.

I don't know exactly how they took the airbox plug out, but here is a picture of it so you can remove it yourself.

Posted Image

Edited by BoiseBee, March 31, 2012 - 06:20 PM.

• BFox

Posted April 01, 2012 - 04:55 AM

Curious to see if Canadian model has the throttle screw and airbox plug. Seems like its all part of EPA green sticker tree hugger BS. Black rims sure would be nice

• supermega1

Posted April 02, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Dealer prep was $455 never heard of dealer prep ?

That's the prep fee they charged me for taking it out of the crate and putting the front wheel and whatever else needed to be added.

I just had the dealer replace the WR throttle screw with one from a YZ450 to allow for full throttle usage.

Interesting, the dealer here said the throttle stop was actually managed by the ECU and that putting in the Comp. ECU removed it.

Sounds like there a lot of different info out there. Wonders who's right. I'll be taking mine out this weekend and I'll see how much throttle I can get to before swapping the ECU.

• Lumberjack450

Posted April 02, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Well looks like there will be another '12 on this forum... getting mine within the next couple weeks. :thumbsup: Also getting the ECU, throttle stop and programmer :thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 02, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Sat on the '12 WR450 today.

Observations:
  • Pegs are high. Very high. Just like the YZ250F.
  • Seat is very low. 2+ inches lower than a stock '11.
  • Cockpit is CRAMPED with the stock bars. I found it difficult to get my elbows up in a natural position.
  • Shrouds stick out a ridiculous amount! It's almost like a clown-car they stick out so much.......way past the forks....I don't get it.....even farther than the YZ's. They will catch trees and brush very badly.

Edited by Krannie, April 02, 2012 - 03:57 PM.

• BoiseBee

Posted April 02, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Observations:

• Cockpit is CRAMPED with the stock bars. I found it difficult to get my elbows up in a natural position.
  • Shrouds stick out a ridiculous amount! It's almost like a clown-car they stick out so much.......way past the forks....I don't get it.....even farther than the YZ's. They will catch trees and brush very badly.

I will agree with you that the pegs are very high... I'm in and out of the saddle quite a bit, so it hasn't bothered me too bad, but I may try some lower pegs fairly soon for that inevitable long, mellow, casual ride. I rotated the stock bars forward slightly, and am able to get my elbows into "attack" position rather easily, so I'll probably put off a higher bend for a while.

On the other two items, I totally disagree with you. The seat height is great now! The difference from 2011 is not 2+ inches, but rather less than an inch (38.6 inches in 2011, 37.8 for 2012) the lower seat makes the bike much easier to maneuver in tight, nasty terrain and Yamaha still achieved higher ground clearance on this bike. And the shrouds.... the width of the bike from the back of the seat all the way through to the front of the shrouds feels much narrower than any of the other bikes I test rode, and the 2012 even measures 1/8th of an inch narrower between the shrouds than the previous 2011.

Just my .02 :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crash279

Posted April 02, 2012 - 09:12 PM

Observations:

Have that dealership get in touch with me, I'll still buy it lol.

• spiceman

Posted April 02, 2012 - 10:39 PM

is it wrong to want a yz700f???

take a yz450f, put 700r motor in it. not saying it should replace anything ,but be an option for a person who wants a kick ass trail bike with good suspension and everything else too.

am i a very bad man?

• ROOSTNMT

Posted April 03, 2012 - 04:19 AM

You guys need to go ride these damn bikes and get some more ride reports out!! I am a crf450X rider and love it but my buddy bought a new WR Saturday and it was in my garage for most of the day. It is a very nice bike...nice enough to convert me if it rides as good as it looks. We had no ECU parts and the thing would barely run so we did not ride it around the neighborhood. Please keep riding an reporting!! Thanks to all contributors so far.

• WR 911

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:21 AM

I received my bike Saturday and immediately started opening it up. In typical Yamaha fashion, it was choked up big time. Installed the FMF system, throttle stop, fork springs, shock spring, air box and competition ECU. The EFI system is set so lean from the factory that it is popping like crazy now that I opened it up. The GYTR programmer is a MUST in order to get the correct fuel mixture. The throttle stop is no joke, it literally only opens up to 1/4 throttle. Waiting for the programmer and will let you know how the first test ride pans out at Milestone MX.

Edited by WR 911, April 03, 2012 - 08:22 AM.

• BoiseBee

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:51 AM

I received my bike Saturday and immediately started opening it up. In typical Yamaha fusion, it was choked up big time. Installed the FMF system, throttle stop, fork springs, shock spring, air box and competition ECU. The EFI system is set so lean from the factory that it is popping like crazy now that I opened it up. The GYTR programmer is a MUST in order to get the correct fuel mixture. The throttle stop is no joke, it literally only opens up to 1/4 throttle. Waiting for the programmer and will let you know how the first test ride pans out at Milestone MX.

Bad Ass, WR911..... sounds like our bikes will be set up almost identical. We'll have to share mapping ideas once we both spend some time tweaking. Right now i'm using the baseline FMF and it runs GREAT.

• WR 911

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:28 AM

I will be in touch Ted Nugent ...... I mean BoiseBee.

• Corkster

Posted April 03, 2012 - 12:15 PM

Picked mine up yesterday, Aussie spec, uncorked with GYTR tuner. Spent the day removing the enormous taillight and mounts, ridiculously high gearing, radiator overflow tank etc etc and putting it back to comp specs like you get them in the USA. I am running the stock muffler opened up and the stock ECU map at the moment and it is impossible to start. Will download alternative maps today to see what happens. Also need some aftermarket LED indicators as the stock rear indicators only mount on the monstrous steel taillight frame that belongs on a Harley not a dirtbike. We pay $13k here in Aus for a bike that you guys get for $8k!!! For the extra $5k we get about 10kgs of junk that has to be removed!!

• cardoc

Posted April 03, 2012 - 12:43 PM

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I love Yamahas and have always had great luck with them. But c'mon. Throttle stops, ECU programers, new pipes, new springs, modified pipes, lean settings etc etc. My new 500 XC-W came off the showroom completely ready to roost. I installed the JD 6X controller for $200 to get more tuneability out of it and thing is spot on and rips. And weighs almost 20 lbs less. I'm sure these new WRs will rip once they are set up but who wants to go backward before going foward.

• supermega1

Posted April 03, 2012 - 12:46 PM

Anybody have parts list/part numbers for the items needed to remove the throttle stop?

• 426Braap

Posted April 03, 2012 - 02:28 PM

Congrats 426Braap! The mods are straight forward:

1. FMF exhaust
2. Programmable ECU
3. Remove throttle stop
4. Remove air box plugs

Get out and have a blast.

I don't know exactly how they took the airbox plug out, but here is a picture of it so you can remove it yourself.

Boise, thank you for the mods list and the pic of the aribox plug, made it super simple to find and remove.

Observations:

Kranie, dude you're a big guy and the Yami's seem to be a bit on the cramped side (my YZ was as well). Works great for us small guys.

Clown shrouds?!?!?! LOLOLOL :lol: Hopefully I dont hook too many trees or bushes :thumbsup:

I'll be in cal city this weekend breaking it in, feel free to come out and test ride it and see for yourself :thumbsup:

You guys need to go ride these damn bikes and get some more ride reports out!! I am a crf450X rider and love it but my buddy bought a new WR Saturday and it was in my garage for most of the day. It is a very nice bike...nice enough to convert me if it rides as good as it looks. We had no ECU parts and the thing would barely run so we did not ride it around the neighborhood. Please keep riding an reporting!! Thanks to all contributors so far.

I'll write a good one after this weekend.....

I received my bike Saturday and immediately started opening it up. In typical Yamaha fashion, it was choked up big time. Installed the FMF system, throttle stop, fork springs, shock spring, air box and competition ECU. The EFI system is set so lean from the factory that it is popping like crazy now that I opened it up. The GYTR programmer is a MUST in order to get the correct fuel mixture. The throttle stop is no joke, it literally only opens up to 1/4 throttle. Waiting for the programmer and will let you know how the first test ride pans out at Milestone MX.

I found the exact thing. Runs like crap and pops like crazy out of the dealer, and the mods arnt just needed, they are a must for this thing to run correctly. I just picked my parts up today, so I'll tune it and see how it runs then

Anybody have parts list/part numbers for the items needed to remove the throttle stop?

FMF power core slip on 1DX-E47A0-V0-00
Comp kit (throtle stop and ecu hook up 1DX-H59C0-V0-00
Power Tuner 33D-H59C0-V1-00

Good luck!
:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.