2012 wr450

716 replies to this topic
  • BoiseBee

Posted March 27, 2012 - 06:34 PM

What where your mapping settings for better starting?

Just the "FMF GYTR" Baseline map as seen on page 8 of this thread.

• BoiseBee

Posted March 27, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Because they have to go up against KX450's, CRF450's, and KTM 450SXF's.

+1

And additionally, the bike has just started to show up in the states.... there will be plenty of the new WR's racing here in the near future.

• Navaho6

Posted March 28, 2012 - 08:53 AM

Because they have to go up against KX450's, CRF450's, and KTM 450SXF's.

The WR was not designed primarily for racing. It was designed as an all-arounder for the average rider who might race at the amateur level. This is where the biggest market is for the WR450 according to Yamaha:

"Can you give us an insight into Yami's discussions about 'hard-nose' enduro bike versus all-round trailbike design purpose for the 2012 450?
Our market is so broad and we have to present a model that sits well with both the relative novice/casual trailrider through to the hardcore Pro who competes at the top level. We can't please everyone, but the higher number of customers will be in the recreational rider range. Of course, the top-level rider will always personalise their bike to suit their needs and riding style, and that is something both Geoff Ballard and I are very conscious of.
Regarding the situation of finding the balance, if we presented a bike that Ballard or I would take on a two-day adventure trailride, the majority of riders may hate the bike set-up. And if we presented a model that Matt Phillips would win on, weekend warriors would bounce straight into trees, as it would be too rigid. That's the reality of it and the YMC engineers are aware of this. They've got a range of test riders, including engineers and ex-professional racers so all rider levels are covered.
Yamaha is traditionally quite a stable platform with good traction, so we know we are quite safe with any tweaking that is carried out with things like steering. It was interesting when the alloy frame carbureted model was first introduced in 2007, a number of people said the motor was unexciting. But you can't go anywhere without traction and, while it may seem dull, wheel-spinning monsters don't go anywhere."

http://www.transmoto...THE-2012-WR450F

The pro class is so competitive, the riders need every advantage they can get. They could strip the WR of lights, kickstand, battery, and start replacing bolts with titanium ones, etc. and end up with a watered-down YZ or just start with the YZ and save all the work.

Here's Adam Riemann (fast Australian) on the MX vs. Enduro design:

http://youtu.be/pOvm9eAFlsg

Edited by Navaho6, March 28, 2012 - 09:35 AM.

• xsnydx

Posted March 28, 2012 - 02:14 PM

Just heard from my dealer that the 2 WRs they ordered ship Monday and I should be able to pick mine up by Friday 6 Apr. I'm in Albuquerque, NM so most of the SW/midwest guys out there should be in the same boat...

• KAM1

Posted March 28, 2012 - 04:15 PM

I just saw one at local dealer, before I knew it was asking for prices OTD, I calmed myself but this bike is challenging my husky loyality, as well as my patience to buy until I buy a house- thats going on for two years now, good thing I am still dating my 04 tc.

• Lumberjack450

Posted March 28, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Any of you guys know what kind of tires come stock? Just curious as I am considering buying one and my local terrain is very harsh sharp rocks and soft sand, wondering how long they will hold up.

• BoiseBee

Posted March 28, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Any of you guys know what kind of tires come stock? Just curious as I am considering buying one and my local terrain is very harsh sharp rocks and soft sand, wondering how long they will hold up.

Dunlop MX-51

• supermega1

Posted March 30, 2012 - 12:07 PM

Just got the call mine has come in. Going to pick it up tomorrow morning. :thumbsup:

• kawi380

Posted March 30, 2012 - 12:12 PM

I need to unsubscribe from this thread :thumbsup: . I hate hearing evvvverybody getting a cool new wr and mine is just a boring 08 :thumbsup: .

• drdfblackm

Posted March 30, 2012 - 12:25 PM

Well I am glad every state around me is getting these, yet every dealer in AZ that I can talk to barely know the bike exists and certainly cannot tell me when they will be getting one. UGGG!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • supermega1

Posted March 30, 2012 - 12:32 PM

Well I am glad every state around me is getting these, yet every dealer in AZ that I can talk to barely know the bike exists and certainly cannot tell me when they will be getting one. UGGG!!!!!

Don't feel bad. My dealer didn't' know last week when the bike was coming in, and I was getting better info from this thread. Then surprise today the bike shows up. When I spoke with him he didn't even sound like he knew the bike was coming in today.

• 1trackmind

Posted March 30, 2012 - 01:42 PM

I need to unsubscribe from this thread :thumbsup: . I hate hearing evvvverybody getting a cool new wr and mine is just a boring 08 :thumbsup: .

I hear ya. Mine is an even more boring 03.

• spiceman

Posted March 30, 2012 - 04:14 PM

I love fuel injection

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:51 PM

Two arrived in Simi Valley today. :thumbsup:

• BoiseBee

Posted March 30, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Just got the call mine has come in. Going to pick it up tomorrow morning. :thumbsup:

Nice Supermega!! glad someone else on the forum is going to have one in the garage!!
You're gonna love it.

My dealer got their #2 and #3 bikes in yesterday, so hopefully there will be a few of these out on the local trails here in a week or two.

Edited by BoiseBee, March 30, 2012 - 09:24 PM.

• MountainMax

Posted March 31, 2012 - 04:18 AM

My local dealer never ordered one so of course he won't get one, another dealer about 300km from me has one on order and he said he would sell it for MSRP price, no discounts, bummer. I wonder if they can be dual sported as easily as my 06? anyone do that yet

• supermega1

Posted March 31, 2012 - 01:00 PM

Just brought her home. Picked up the exhaust, comp. ecu, programmer, and skid plate. Figured since I was financing it anyway might as well roll it into one. :thumbsup:

Hope to break her in tonight and take it out tomorrow.

Posted Image

• BFox

Posted March 31, 2012 - 02:02 PM

Kind of hoping my Canadian version shows up with black rims like the Aussie models. Ordered the Power Tuner BB

• 2in2out

Posted March 31, 2012 - 03:14 PM

Just brought her home. Picked up the exhaust, comp. ecu, programmer, and skid plate. Figured since I was financing it anyway might as well roll it into one. :thumbsup:

Hope to break her in tonight and take it out tomorrow.

SuperMega, which shop did you order yours from? Michael's in Reno doesn't know when theirs will come in? And what was your OTD with all the schwag?

Edited by 2in2out, March 31, 2012 - 03:14 PM.

• supermega1

Posted March 31, 2012 - 03:45 PM

SuperMega, which shop did you order yours from? Michael's in Reno doesn't know when theirs will come in? And what was your OTD with all the schwag?

Yamaha of Las Vegas. They've gotten two in already and sounds like they got a couple more coming in within the next couple weeks.

Accessories $813 (Comp ECU, Exhaust, Programmer, Skid Plate)
Dealer Prep $455
Doc Fee $199
Tax $737
Bike $8,090

OTD was 10,294. Thats tax, doc fees, and dealer prep. Wasn't too happy about having to pay dealer prep and doc fees but when the rest of the parts I ordered come in they'll put them on for free as part of the dealer prep fee. I wanted one and didn't want to have to go on a mission out of state or out of town so I am sure I could have shopped around and not paid the doc and prep fees but it was nice to drive 15 minutes and pick it up without hassle, and if anything goes wrong I can always go back to were I bought it from.

Yamaha finance is doing a 3.99 for 3 years so I put a 1k down. So can't complain gotta pay to play. My other option was to get a homie hookup but would have had to drive to Montana, so I'll consider the doc fee and dealer prep a "convenience" charge LOL.

Edited by supermega1, March 31, 2012 - 03:52 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.