Changing the coolant!

3 replies to this topic
  • motoman393

Posted July 19, 2001 - 08:39 AM

Hello all,

I am thinking my Thumper is in need of a coolant change (I got the bike on Nov. 15 00')! I know how to change the coolant but what I am wondering is...do the 4 strokes need to be changed more often than 2 strokes? or are they they same?

Normally you would change the coolant once a year or season. And I just bought a big jug of coolanol in case. Am I correct to say you cant mix the orange with the green...right? I would appreciate any replies you guys have!Thanks,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

• JBM

Posted July 19, 2001 - 10:39 AM

You're right don't mix the orange with the green, and only use the green in the bike.

The change intervals should be the same. Once a year should suffice. I've had my bike for over a year and a half now and have changed the coolant once. I also used Coolanol.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twej

Posted July 20, 2001 - 10:53 PM

I had a crack in the "cap" side radiator. Took it off to have it temporarily fixed. Worked for a few races but finally had to break down and buy a new one. It's a pretty simple process to take off.
Take the cap of then disconnect the hose at the bottom of the right side radiator, cap side, and let it run out. Refill with 50/50, radiator fluid and water. There's probably another way that would take our MORE fluid but this is a pretty easy way to do most of it. Have a wide container under the bike 'cause it'll come gushing out. Don't let the fluid get on your brakes, I can't say why, I've just read that somewhere.

Have fun

• MikeOK

Posted July 21, 2001 - 05:50 AM

I've had good luck using a mixture of something like 90% distilled water, and 10% coolant (through the summer only of course) I understand that straight water cools better than a water/ coolant mix. I also hear that Water Wetter works well also. Just don't forget to add more coolant before the first frost...

Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.