Head gasket needs to be replaced once torqued?

6 replies to this topic
  • batmobil

Posted November 16, 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hi,
I have been working on a WR426F I just recently bought. The engine needed a total rebuild and I have changed all bearings, bought a big bore kit and a used head. After finishing torquing down the head I notice that I have managed to forget to install the cam chain guide that are to be mounted once the cylinder is installed and before the topend.:busted:

So my question to you is: Do I need to replace the head gasket when I unbolt the head to install the chain guide?

Thanks!
Batmobil

• RasmusDK

Posted November 16, 2011 - 04:22 PM

The right thing would be a new one.Once i did something like you, and couldnt get a new one unless i wanted to wait 8 days, so used the old one. That is still running.. The gasket have much wear tho..

• bg10459

Posted November 16, 2011 - 04:31 PM

I don't think it's a problem because the procedure in the manual calls for torquing the head down, then removing the bolts to apply more moly lube, then re-torquing the head. You haven't heat cycled anything yet, so you should be OK.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stinger1133

Posted November 16, 2011 - 05:26 PM

The right thing would be a new one.Once i did something like you, and couldnt get a new one unless i wanted to wait 8 days, so used the old one. That is still running.. The gasket have much wear tho..

I pulled my head and jug checking for wear and a noise on my YZ426 and bolted everything back together with same gaskets.:busted:( I do not recommend doing this.) I torqued everything to spec and bike is ok even after 4 weekends of fun. These gaskets are pretty tough. Again, even though I did it successfully, I dont recommend it. This is a weekend toy for me. If it went down, I would just ride my other toy till i fixed it.

• Sknight

Posted November 16, 2011 - 05:57 PM

As said above since it hasn't been heat cycled it'll be fine. In fact mark your bolts before you loosen them, you'll see that they'll actually turn a little more before torquing down/after completing your angle reading. It used to be common to loosen and retorque head gaskets.

• batmobil

Posted November 17, 2011 - 01:40 AM

Thanks, guys. I got feedback from seller of the big bore kit as well. He said, as several of you, as long as it hadn't been heat cycled yet I could reuse it.
Appreciate your help!

• Joe ONeil

Posted July 07, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Old thread I know, but this is good news.  I notice some seepage around the head gasket after filling the fluids on my rebuild.. no heat cycle yet so I'm going to use the copper spray sealant and re-torque it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.