oil level question

6 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted July 18, 2001 - 03:14 PM

I just started the bike for the first time after my 2nd oil change and ran it very slow for about 5 minutes around the back yard (small yard, 1st gear just above idle). I then let it idle for about 2 minutes, shut it off and checked the level. It was way high (about 1" over the top mark). According to the plastic oil bottle markings I poured in about 1.7 US qts. which is supposed to be what it takes with a full change (filter too). Do you guys find that it really takes less than what the manual says, or maybe did I not let it run long enough after changing it to get a good reading?

• TheMort

Posted July 18, 2001 - 04:19 PM

Thought it was supposed to be 1.5L after oil filter replacement and 1.4L without oil filter replacement. In my manual it states the total capacity is only 1.6L, but not sure if there's a difference between different years. Mine's a 98, unless they increased the capacity with the 426s, not sure though.

98 YZ400F

• Dave_S

Posted July 18, 2001 - 04:23 PM

The frame is narrower than an oil bottle where the dipstick measures it and I'd guess 1 inch at that point is only 2-3 ounces of oil.

Considering that the 426 is a dry sump engine and the extra oil is carried in the frame and not in the engine where it would be whipped up by the crank/gears/etc I dont think you've got a problem.

Estimating 1.7 is a little tough and its also unlikely that you were able to get ALL the oil from the engine, a little in the pump, a little in the line, a little sitting in the bottom of the cases.

5 minutes is plenty of time to get the oil where it belongs.

Dave S (yeah right, like I'm some kind of expert!)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted July 18, 2001 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I Just checked the manual and it is 1.5L with a normal change (1.6 US quarts) and 1.6L with a filter change (1.7 US quarts). This is an '01 426. I will have to check it again after I ride some more and see if it changes..

• Bill

Posted July 18, 2001 - 05:38 PM

You aren't screwing the dipstick in are you? It's supposed to be checked without screwing it in. Just a thought.

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP, 48PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• MotoStyle

Posted July 18, 2001 - 08:00 PM

Do you guys check your oil with the engine running or not? I check mine running....I also do 1.6qts for oil and filter on a 01 426. 1.5 is without filter change.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 19, 2001 - 02:12 AM

Nope, not screwing it in.. I wonder if the markings on the oil bottles are off by that much?

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.