Just got a 01 426...problems? What problems?

9 replies to this topic
  • tawood385

Posted July 18, 2001 - 03:55 AM

I just got a new 2001 426. I was very anxious because of all I've heard about starting problems and riding differences over 2 strokes. I've put about 2 hours on it on my backyard track and I'm very relieved.
So far, the bike has proved easier to start than my 98 YZ250, starting on the first or second kick, even after I dropped it. People who complain about starting this thing must be real "girlie kickers", because I'm only 5'8" with a short inseam, and this isn't harder than starting anything else.
As far as the riding differences are concerned...I don't notice any extra weight, even when riding it right before/after my 98 YZ. Aparently, I must have also already made a habit of jumping with the gas on, because the bike jumps just fine too, and is extremely stable. My lap times are already faster after just 2 hours.
Enough typing, I'm going riding again!

2001 YZ426
2000 Harley (I actually get paid to ride this one)

• MotoMan217

Posted July 18, 2001 - 03:59 AM

congrats on getting your new bike! i will know if i'll be getting my bike today or not. so everyone cross your fingers pray to god and hope that i get it!

• Chris_Slade

Posted July 18, 2001 - 04:24 AM

At 6'0 and on a KTM 520, I can say the 426 is harder to start by far. If you follow the pattern, no way, but as soon as it's hot hot hot, and any slight problem with your initial re-kick (throttle, kicker too low, or just a bad kick) you better PRAY it starts. My dad can't seem to start his by himself, but he's like 4-5" shorter than me.
He never had any problems until she got nice and hot, and he tipped over once. If you don't have some problems....you are blessed with an "imaginary" e-starter! :)
I mean....even the PROs on the 426's have problems....and I'd hate to call them girly.

[This message has been edited by Chris Slade (edited 07-18-2001).]

• tawood385

Posted July 18, 2001 - 04:38 AM

Slade, just because someone is a pro, doesn't mean that they're not a girly kicker!
I must add though, that I've never been able to lite a 2 stroke (even a 125) with just half hearted kicks like I've seen the pros do. I've always had to really jump on a bike to start it, so maybe I've had some practice.

[This message has been edited by tawood385 (edited 07-18-2001).]

• slowrider

Posted July 18, 2001 - 05:00 AM

I went from a KDX200 to the 426 occasionally ride with my wife tt125L and have had my bike laying on the ground(no trees around) after a long ride in the heat of TX to help the wife get her bike off of the top of her and 5-10 min with hot start pulled fire over everytime(1-3 kicks). I wish I could say this only happened once but she wrecks the thing as if she was a crash test dummy. You will love this bike it is truly awesome..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyinguitars

Posted July 18, 2001 - 07:08 AM

I have to agree that the 01' 426 is easy to start. I must admit that when I first got the bike in Nov., I kicked it all night with no luck and limped into and around work the next day. Once I learned the drill, Ive found that my bike will always start in 1-3 kicks (smoking hot or cold). Im 6'4" and 218lbs and am a fairly powerful guy, but when the kick start is positioned properly, a "kick" is not necessary just a smooth push is all it takes.

• Bill

Posted July 18, 2001 - 08:02 AM

These bikes are very easy to start and I found out from my son, exactly how easy. He asked to ride my bike and I figured ok, if you can start it (he won't be able to). He's 5'9", 14 and 120#'s. I told him the drill and it fired first kick :)

He didn't go out onto the track, just rode around the pits but, I don't think I couold have slapped the smile off his face after riding the blue beast.

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP, 48PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• WR_Jason

Posted July 18, 2001 - 11:06 AM

Congrads TA, it seems you were blessed by a good setup mechanic in a shop at a similar elevation to your track. Good luck with the bike. I dont have any trubble startig it, but I wish it had an auto decomp. Trying to fiddle with all that stuff on a hill after a flame out is a pain. I have just modified my riding style to NOT FLAME OUT on hill climbs. :) .

• wildair99

Posted July 29, 2001 - 09:43 PM

The YZ 426 is easily started if you follow the correct procedures, i've only had my YZ for 2 weeks and i simply crank it by kicking only once or twice and i havent been on a bike in over 7 yrs. So far i love it, the meanest beast i've ever rode, like a rocket :)

• yzernie

Posted July 29, 2001 - 10:50 AM

The fuel screw and pilot jet settings make a big difference in starting. When my 01 was new it was more difficult to start than my 98. Once I got the fuel screw and pilot jet dialed in it will start first or second kick, no matter what.

My wife rides my sons YZ125 and although she is a good rider, she too is occasionally a victim of the crash dummy syndrome. My bike is just like yours...lay it over...(with the gas turned off)....get her uprighted and going and mine fires up 1st or 2nd kick.

My 15 year old wants to try the 426 but I think his sack shrivels when he gets near it!!!!! :)

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.