New WR450

48 replies to this topic
  • highmarker

Posted December 31, 2011 - 10:20 PM

anyone know what FI they are using? Mikuni? Keihin? Hitachi?

• mikewrf18

Posted January 01, 2012 - 05:45 AM

I usually kickstart mine when cold as well, to keep from causing any unecessary drain on the battery. Once warm, button/hot start just about every time. Fires right away.

• YamaJet

Posted January 01, 2012 - 05:57 AM

So guys I am really glad to see this thread. I am looking at getting rid of my 08 KTM 450 EXC-R next week and i am thinking of getting the 11 WR450. Looks like the dealer is willing to make me a deal for just under 6 for it. I have had several issues with my KTM I bought from them and so he is wanting to get me into something for a great deal. My son rides an 06 WR450 and the thing has been perfect. I really thought this was the direction I wanted to go but of course wanted some reassurance and wanted to see that no one was having any big issues with theirs. If anyone has anything to say that I might need to watch out for please chime in.

So YamaJet, I know it has not been very long since you got yours but are you still as happy with it as you expected to be?

Absolutely thrilled with the bike! I don't think you'll have any reliability issues at all. Mine had the hanging idle out of the box, but a re-jet and pilot screw adjust takes care of that.

• W R

Posted January 01, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Thanks guys. This makes feel a lot more confident. When I bought my 08 there was not a lot of info out there yet and so I did not know about the oil transfer issues and others I have had. Since I am looking at the 11 at the beginning of 12 I would think that these issues would have cropped up by now but I am not finding any. I am starting to get that warm fuzzy feeling that I am going to be adding another blue bike to the garage very soon.

Any ones thought on extended warranty on this bike? Thank goodness I bought it for my KTM. It way payed for it's self but on the WR it sounds like it is not needed.

• YamaJet

Posted January 02, 2012 - 07:37 AM

Another thing to remember is that there have been no significant changes to the WR450F since 2007 if I have my facts straight. So that opens the scope of the issue of reliability due to a larger sample size. Then there is commonality of some components with the older YZ series bikes, which are some of the most reliable out there.

Which brings to mind that we need a sticky that covers the changes from model year to model year. I could not find one.

I guess for me the cost of the extended warranty would be a factor. I personally have never bought one for a Yamaha product, and never regreted it later.

• W R

Posted January 02, 2012 - 08:44 AM

I have never bought one before but for some reason I felt like I needed it when I bought my KTM. Maybe because it was the most expensive bike I ever bougfht and maybe ever will. Got lucky and it paid. I really don't feel like I will need it for the Yamaha.

Starting to get excited. Hope my dreams are not shattered when I call the dealer in a little while.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:16 PM

I have never bought one before but for some reason I felt like I needed it when I bought my KTM. Maybe because it was the most expensive bike I ever bougfht and maybe ever will. Got lucky and it paid. I really don't feel like I will need it for the Yamaha.

Starting to get excited. Hope my dreams are not shattered when I call the dealer in a little while.

In the early '07 bikes, yamaha shipped the WR with the YZ air filter cage (with a hole in the middle for a bolt). IIRC there was a recall and the correct filter cage was fitted to those bikes. Other than that, it has been a solid platform. The knowledge is readily available to turn these things into monsters if that is your perrogative. :smirk:

• W R

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:35 PM

In the early '07 bikes, yamaha shipped the WR with the YZ air filter cage (with a hole in the middle for a bolt). IIRC there was a recall and the correct filter cage was fitted to those bikes. Other than that, it has been a solid platform. The knowledge is readily available to turn these things into monsters if that is your perrogative. :smirk:

That is my perrogative. As you see by my post and signature my 17 year old son rides an 06 and with all of the mods the thing is just a dream. I was only worried that there was some kind of change in the bike since then that I was unaware of and did not want to get caught like I did with my KTM.

Thanks for the help.

• W R

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:43 PM

Here is a crappy photo of my boys 06. He put some yz plastics on it, hid the headlight behind the number plate with easy 1 pin access when needed and put on some other grafics. I am going to have to get better pictures one of these days.

Posted Image

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:59 PM

I was only worried that there was some kind of change in the bike since then that I was unaware of and did not want to get caught like I did with my KTM.

Nothing that effects the legendary reliability of these bikes.

The frame is aluminium obviously, which makes working on the carb more difficult than the '06. If you don't mind the extra work it takes to work on the carb, its a non issue. There was much to do about weight centralization with that change. Some feel it, others don't.

The engine has different castings. The oil passages are internal as opposed to external like on the '03-'06 bikes. Also the oil sump is between the cases on the '07+ bikes and holds just over a quart. If you do frequent oil changes (100-200 miles), its a non issue.

The chain can rub on the subframe if it is a adjusted too loose or isn't squared up correctly. I put a piece of cut thick rubber hose in that general area of the subframe and I also started measuring the chain adjustment instead of relying on the markers. No more rubbing.

You should probably put anti sieze lube on the bolts that fasten the case guard to the engine, rad shrouds to the tank, and spark plug.

Grease every chassis bearing in that thing upon delivery. Apparently grease is in short supply in Japan :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • W R

Posted January 02, 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks, this is great stuff!

• jlow

Posted January 02, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Weekend rider, you won't be disappointed. The wr450's are solid. Little suspension work and the free mods, will do whatever you want. Also, you can't go wrong with the lithium battery, just get an 8-cell or higher cranking amps one if you do(the 4-cell wasn't enough). All the info you need is here on TT. JLow

• W R

Posted January 04, 2012 - 10:36 AM

Friday I drove 500 miles round trip to pick up my new 2011 WR450.
I traded my 03 WR250 that I bought new on it. 8 seasons on that bike and the only thing I had to actually fix on it was fork seals in 2006 (besides the free mods and jetting).
Saturday I took the WR450 to Haspin Acres for break in, bone stock.
Today is clean up and oil change.
The AIS kit, jets, handguards, and new muffler insert can't get here soon enough!

Posted Image

Well YamaJet you have totally inspired me. Last night I went out and ordered:
Cycra Probend Handgaurds
FMF Q4 exhaust
ASI kit
Fuel Screw
Radiator Gaurds
Rear Master Cyl Gaurd
Spare Plug
Couple of oil filters

All to go onto my new 2011 WR450F that I will be picking up on Friday!

• RBRXRMAN

Posted January 04, 2012 - 04:26 PM

Congratulations on the new bike! You are going to love it. I have an 08 that I bought new and it's still just as good as when I bought it.

Agreed, I get jealous of my Son's 08 WR450 every time he blasts by me at WOT when we are racing. Sprays me in the face with tiny pebbles and sand as he disappears over the next rise. Do the mods and that thing is a beast.

I still like my tame old XR400 but I have been feeling blue lately.

• highmarker

Posted January 04, 2012 - 05:46 PM

So when are the NEW wr's hitting the dealers, we all know the old ones were solid.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 04, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Cycra Probend Handgaurds
FMF Q4 exhaust
ASI kit
Fuel Screw
Radiator Gaurds
Rear Master Cyl Gaurd
Spare Plug
Couple of oil filters

All solid mods. I'd recommend an aluminum skidplate, but for many the stock plastic one is good.

You might want to order up a '06-'09 YZ 450f header to make the most of that new muffler. The stock WR header is very restrictive.

• W R

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:43 AM

Also have the Megabomb, JD jet Kit & a Quickshot on order. When do I stop????

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 05, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Also have the Megabomb, JD jet Kit & a Quickshot on order. When do I stop????

Sounds like you're gonna have a bad ass piece of machinery :smirk:

• W R

Posted January 06, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Sounds like you're gonna have a bad ass piece of machinery :smirk:

I hope so. My KTM that I am getting rid of today was supposed to be my bad ass ride. Did everything to it but it just would not cooperate and would leave me stranded. I am glad to see her go today but sad at the same time. Nicest riding bike I have ever been on but she is gotta go. There is a new love in my life and I am going to go get her this after noon. I hope she turns out to be the real deal. My wife says that I better keep a little time in my life for her. There is always the night time.

• YamaJet

Posted January 06, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Cycra Probend Handgaurds
FMF Q4 exhaust
ASI kit
Fuel Screw
Radiator Gaurds
Rear Master Cyl Gaurd
Spare Plug
Couple of oil filters

Atta Boy !!!!!! Congrats

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.