07 YZ450 stalling

11 replies to this topic
  • mnichols

Posted November 12, 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hello everyone,

So I took my 07 YZ450 out for a ride today and everything was good for the first half hour then my bike starting cutting out and then just die. After it would stall and die I could not get it started. If I let it sit for 5 minutes it would start back up and I could go for maybe another minute and it would die. It felt like when you run out of gas but I had plenty of gas. Let it sit for 5 minutes and it would start again and go another minute and die again.

Any idea what this might be? I'm thinging it might be the stator, but I'm not sure. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted November 12, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Check for spark when it quits. If none, check the stator for a cracked center frame.

• mnichols

Posted November 13, 2011 - 08:59 AM

I pulled the Plug out on the trail but didn't check for spark because it would start after sitting for a couple of minutes. I just assumed I had a faulty plug so I tried to clean it while my went to get another plug from the truck. He didn't have the correct plug so we put it all back together (forgot to check spark, oops) and no start no start when it had before.

Anyway, pickup a plug on the way home no spark. So If I pull the cover off the left side will the crack be notIcable if it is cracked? Thanks much.

• bustersat

Posted November 13, 2011 - 09:10 AM

It may be worth checking your fuel inlet at the float as well. Had a similar thing happen with my sons little bike. Cleaned the card 3 different times until a big snot like blockage came out of the inlet tube. Let just enough fuel through over time to refill the bowl. Runs like a champ now!

• mnichols

Posted November 13, 2011 - 01:49 PM

I was gonna take the carb out to clean anyway so I'll give that try. Although I still have no spark.

What's the secret to getting this carb out? Thanks

• shrubitup

Posted November 13, 2011 - 01:52 PM

What's the secret to getting this carb out? Thanks

Remove shock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderX

Posted November 13, 2011 - 07:18 PM

Remove shock.

and consume beer. :busted:

• shrubitup

Posted November 13, 2011 - 07:56 PM

and consume beer. :busted:

That's step zero. :busted:

• Schpenxel

Posted November 14, 2011 - 06:26 AM

Not sure if it's the same as my 2001

But I usually pull the subframe/airbox as an assembly and then the carb comes right off. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be done or not though :busted:

• mnichols

Posted November 14, 2011 - 07:31 AM

Thanks all. Yep, I pulled the subframe and removed the back shock to get the carb out. Put it all back together but it still won't start. I have no spark I don't think it's carb related at this point. What's odd is out on the trail it would start back up after sitting a couple mInutes, but after I decided to pull the plug and try and clean it, it wouldnt fire again.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2011 - 09:10 AM

Thanks all. Yep, I pulled the subframe and removed the back shock to get the carb out. Put it all back together but it still won't start. I have no spark I don't think it's carb related at this point. What's odd is out on the trail it would start back up after sitting a couple mInutes, but after I decided to pull the plug and try and clean it, it wouldnt fire again.

http://www.thumperta...30#post10800530

• mnichols

Posted November 16, 2011 - 07:41 PM

So haven't pulled the cover off to look at the stator but I did get the meter out. Below are the readings I got. Let me know what you think, some looked within spec and others were all over the place. This weekend I'll take a look at the stator. Thanks

Ignition primary res coil - .0 to .4 (jumped around)
Secondary - 5.58 (within sPec)

CDI pickup coil - 285.2 (within spec)
Coil 1 - 1.390 (?)
Coil 2 - 55

TPS coil - 20 (this jumped all over)*

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.