2008 Rekluse Exp 2.0 Engagement Settings

3 replies to this topic
  • Kaw_04_250f

Posted November 12, 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hello, can someone explain the engagement settings of "low", "med" and "high" to me. I just installed the Rekluse a week of so ago and I think I like it but it seems to me that the clutch is slipping a little much. I have the free play set as per the manual and all the clutch components are nearly new. Today, it seemed like the clutch would slip in upshifting from 3rd to 4th down a straight. I would think I was well above the rpm that would lock it up. I think I would like it to hook up faster and not slip so much and the most important characteristic for me is the "No Stall". Thanks

• Danger16

Posted November 12, 2011 - 07:29 PM

Low, medium and high refer to the RPM where the clutch engages. I always set my Rekluses up to engage at "low" RPM, or for "hard" engagement. That will eliminate the slipping feel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 12, 2011 - 10:46 PM

With either the EXP or the Core EXP, the free play at speed must be correctly set. Rekluse refers to this as "free play gain", since in the normal automatic mode, there is no play at idle. At 4000 RPM and up, the cable has to have a fairly normal amount of free travel, or it won't engage completely, same as would be the case with a standard clutch. This, and not your speed or rate settings is more than likely the cause of your clutch slippage.

The Rekluse manual explains engagement speed and rate pretty well. Engagement speed is the RPM at which the clutch begins to close up. It is controlled by adjusting the release springs in the EXP ring. The rate is how quickly the clutch locks up once it starts to engage. That is controlled by changing the weight of the wedges. The engagement rate also influences how quickly the clutch releases when braking in gear and such also. The more quickly it locks up, the less easily it will release as the RPM's drop.

My own favorite setting for my Z-Start Pro is medium speed, "slow" rate

• Kaw_04_250f

Posted November 13, 2011 - 02:37 AM

Thank you for the explanations. I will check that free play gain also.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.