2nd gear, low rpm flameout, sandy corner exit.

7 replies to this topic
  • johnny6speed

Posted November 12, 2011 - 02:42 PM

2009 yz450f
Temp 48-53f
Saturday elevation 200ft, Sunday elevation 850ft.
Completely stock jetting.
Idle turned down 1/2 a turn from stock due to Rekluse.
Sandy, 2nd gear corner exit, 33%-50% throttle opening.
Powerbomb header(stock was replaced due to damage), stock silencer.

Happened a bakers dozen times last Saturday and Sunday. And was frustraiting. Air filter and boot were squeaky clean. Freeplay gain was set correctly at 1/8 inch with Rekluse EXP 2.0. As my skills and confidence increased in sand this season, is this a business as usual 4 stroke issue as I was asking too much with a quick throttle opening? Or is it another concern?

• grayracer513

Posted November 12, 2011 - 08:04 PM

If the bike flames out as the throttle is applied after chugging a time or two, it could be that the engagement rate (as opposed to the engagement speed) is set at the high rate, and that this is too aggressive for low speed pulls in second gear. This was the case with my '06 and the Z-Start Pro clutch. I started with it set at the recommended medium engagement speed/fast engagement rate, and couldn't do a second gear launch with it without using the lever. Changing to the slow rate cured it.

The rate in a Rekluse is usually set by varying the weight of the wedges or balls, depending on which clutch you have.

• johnny6speed

Posted November 13, 2011 - 06:19 AM

The EXP 2.0 has the wedge system. I'll have a look at my instructions that came with it and look on their site for different wedges. Thanks Grey.

• JohnKorpita

Posted August 11, 2012 - 06:22 PM

2009 yz450f
Temp 48-53f
Saturday elevation 200ft, Sunday elevation 850ft.
Sandy, 2nd gear corner exit, 33%-50% throttle opening.
Powerbomb header(stock was replaced due to damage), stock silencer.

Happened a bakers dozen times last Saturday and Sunday. And was frustraiting. Air filter and boot were squeaky clean. Freeplay gain was set correctly at 1/8 inch with Rekluse EXP 2.0. As my skills and confidence increased in sand this season, is this a business as usual 4 stroke issue as I was asking too much with a quick throttle opening? Or is it another concern?

So...did you get this figured out? I am having the exact same problem (had it for a while) with only a couple different variables:

2009 yz450f
Warmer temps(70's-90's)
Rekluse Core EXP (not 2.0)
Elevation 200-1200 ft
Sandy, 2nd gear corner exit, 33%-50% throttle opening. ALSO in tight trails, it will do it too when I am creeping or idling a bit and then crank on the throttle. After I stall it in the sandy corner, it usually seems flooded and is HARD to start.
FMF 4.1 slip-on

Don't really remember these problems before the rekluse but I didn't ride it much before I put in the rekluse. Jetting or Rekluse adjustments needed? thoughts? Thamks for any help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 08kxf250

Posted August 11, 2012 - 10:01 PM

So...did you get this figured out? I am having the exact same problem (had it for a while) with only a couple different variables:

2009 yz450f
Warmer temps(70's-90's)
Rekluse Core EXP (not 2.0)
Elevation 200-1200 ft
Sandy, 2nd gear corner exit, 33%-50% throttle opening. ALSO in tight trails, it will do it too when I am creeping or idling a bit and then crank on the throttle. After I stall it in the sandy corner, it usually seems flooded and is HARD to start.
FMF 4.1 slip-on

Don't really remember these problems before the rekluse but I didn't ride it much before I put in the rekluse. Jetting or Rekluse adjustments needed? thoughts? Thamks for any help.

How come you guys have turned the idle down?....in my Rekluse instructions it recommends turning the idle up higher than stock.....i have a Z Start Pro

Edited by 08kxf250, August 11, 2012 - 10:02 PM.

• JohnKorpita

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:18 AM

If the idle is not turned down, the rekluse core exp will not completely disengage. I am no expert but everything else was adjusted correctly and it works great as long as the idle is not set too high. I had to turn mine down lower than I had it pre-rekluse....and now that I think about it more... I did have some slight flameout problems pre-Rekluse and just turned the idle up to compensate and it seemed to fix the problem...SO I guess I should start with Jetting.

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2012 - 06:40 AM

Instead of turning the idle down, raise the engagement RPM of the clutch. Then be certain that your pilot circuit isn't set up rich.

• JohnKorpita

Posted August 12, 2012 - 09:20 AM

Gray, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I wasn't aware that I could adjust the engagement...but thanks to you and referencing my Rekluse manual I see how. I will be doing that soon. :thumbsup: Then I will dial in the jetting too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.