Are forks directional?

7 replies to this topic
  • jcm3

Posted November 09, 2011 - 09:47 PM

I'd like to move the bars on my 2011 to the forward position, to give myself a little bit more room. (long arms) But, I've heard that they get in the way of the air bleeder valve on the top of the forks.

Can I turn the forks around so that the bleeder valve is at the rear, or do the forks have to remain in the stock orientation?

Thanks for any info. :busted:

• MXandSXracer21

Posted November 09, 2011 - 09:48 PM

Yes, you can rotate the top part of the fork around for better access to the bleeder valve.

• jcm3

Posted November 09, 2011 - 09:54 PM

Great, thanks for the quick response.

• HRC

Posted November 09, 2011 - 10:29 PM

But remember to run 3 circles counter clockwise around the bike before first ride ! :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • APlusAutoParts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 04:56 AM

yes you can

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2011 - 08:30 AM

The only downside is that rotating the vent screws (they aren't bleeders) to the rear will sometimes allow a bit of oil out as the excess pressure is released. Other than that, doing this will disorient any stickers you have on the forks, and might annoy LEO's in California by turning your green/red sticker inward.

• Stu2

Posted November 10, 2011 - 11:02 AM

I tried my bars on the forward mount and did not like it, the stearing felt heavier somehow, and these bikes are unbalanced as it is toward the front, it was even worse with the bars forward,

I am 6'2" so im pretty tall and the bars in the rear holes are perfect

Also I run a top mount damper and I dont tink there is a mounting option for the damper in the forward position

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2011 - 01:58 PM

Everyone is different. One of the big things I like about the Windham bend bars on my bike is the fact that in addition to the increased height the hand position is as much as an inch forward of YZ Mids or the Reed bend. Not only does it make the bike roomier when standing up, but I had quit the opposite experience with steering response that you did.

'Could well be different on the newer bike, though.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.