97 rm 125 clutch adjustment issues

7 replies to this topic
  • ridervt

Posted November 09, 2011 - 04:39 PM

I just put a new clutch kit and cable into the bike and I can not get it adjusted properly. No matter where I adjust it to it lurches when I shift into gear. Why?

• tmacoo4

Posted November 09, 2011 - 06:32 PM

If it keeps "lurching" then check your clutch basket for grooves and if you have grooves just file them down.

• Bhavesh

Posted November 12, 2011 - 12:48 AM

learn how to search the intarwebs more better

http://www.thumperta...395&postcount=5

• jamesrm125

Posted December 23, 2011 - 06:51 PM

mine was doing the same from grooving
i went in today and filed mine down (its cheaper than 200+new one)
now it works like brand new
i also sanded the filed edges down too smooth the filled edges down
look up videos on you tube to pull apart and put back together properly
good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clintsmx

Posted December 25, 2011 - 04:49 PM

filing the basket is ok but if you plan on keeping the bike you will need a new basket in time.

• ridervt

Posted December 27, 2011 - 01:35 PM

I determined that the basket is ok...sounds like it may be a bent shift fork. Saving my pennies to get it done beforespring

• Tailender

Posted December 27, 2011 - 02:01 PM

A bent shift fork would not make it lurch forward. That only controls the gears position/what gear your in. There is something dragging in your clutch to cause the lurch. Using the correct oil? Soak clutch before install? You could try a lighter oil maybe. My bike does this until it gets warmed up then no lurching.

• 2-Strokes 4-ever

Posted December 29, 2011 - 04:05 AM

Typical Suzuki issues. Check your basket and hub for notching and burrs. Automotive ATF type F works well in Suzuki's 'less than desirable' clutch components. And as said, soaking your friction plates beforehand is a good idea.

We've still got a 98 125 that sits around if my boys want to go riding with me. It's been a good 10 years now, but I remember reading somewhere that taking the clutches push-rod and filing the squared end (that goes inward) to a more rounded shape will help with your issue... don't know why, but I did it and it helped.

Our 98 has a Hinson basket, a 'like new' OEM hub, good OEM frictions, modified push-rod, ATF, adjusted to a minimal amount of free-play at the lever/perch, and it still drags somewhat, just gotta live with it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.