Having Second thoughts !

29 replies to this topic
  • Odie

Posted July 18, 2001 - 04:22 AM

Yeah, my bike has a serious problem - that would be the turd holding it back - that would be me. :)

• Psycho426

Posted July 18, 2001 - 04:54 AM

Noting that you have serious problems (Odie), and a lot of guys do, with your YZ426F would it be a better option for me to rather go for a YZ250F ?

How mechanically sound is the 250F (Yes, I know it has't been around that long) ?

Would it have enough power? I am 6'2 and weigh 188 lbs, I have never ridden one.

[This message has been edited by Psycho426 (edited 07-18-2001).]

• TheMort

Posted July 18, 2001 - 06:34 PM

psyhco, I'd say go for it and get the 426. I've had my 98 YZ400F for about a month and haven't had any problems at all yet. The bike is absolutely awesome and I've very happy I got it. I think you're going to find that with whatever bike you get, if it's a race bike like the YZ426 is supposed to be, it's going to require a good deal of maintainence. IMO, the maintainence is definetly worth it to ride this bike. Keep in mind, like others said, you're just hearing about a few problems among a lot of yz4xx owners out there. Overall, I think it's going to be the most reliable 4 stroke race bike out there. I think you'll definetly be happy with the 426 and don't worry about possible problems, just keep up on the oil changes and maintainence.

98 YZ400F

• Psycho426

Posted July 18, 2001 - 11:56 PM

Mort, I had a chance to ride the YZ250F Yesterday Evening (18/07/2001) and I am not at all impressed with the power (although it's very good for a 250 stroker).

The YZ426F is more my kind of bike, think I'll go for it.

Thanx to all the people that aided me to come to a decision.

• WR_Jason

Posted July 19, 2001 - 06:56 AM

Yeeeeeeeeee Haaaawwwwwwww
Go for it man. IMHO the 250F is a great bike, its still more or less a 125cc 2 stroke with a big cool power band. My greatest concern with the bike is it has to be ridden hard at higher RPM, this of course puts 2 the wear on the motor, hore HP means less work for the motor. the P to W ratio is much more favarable on the 426. Good luck, ride hard and make sure the ruber side comes down first. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jasons

Posted July 19, 2001 - 07:17 AM

I figured I should reply since my gearbox was one of the major failures you mentioned. I would buy the bike again no problem. It is a great bike and every once in a while even great bikes break. I don't think there is a design flaw or error on Yamaha's part in my case. I believe the bent shift fork came from landing very hard off of a jump with my foot on the shifter or from a crash. We have a thack here that has a bunch of short tabletops and it is faster to over jump them than slow down so you can hit the downside. My bike was bottoming pretty hard on a lot of these landings before I stiffened the suspension. It is very likely my foot slipped forward on one or more of these hard landings and the force of my body coming down on the shifter could easily have bent the fork. I think my shift lever is a little bent as well which backs up this theory. Basically this would have happened on any bike so don't worry about it.
Enjoy your new thumper.

• elroyona426

Posted July 19, 2001 - 10:42 AM

Hey it could be worse, look at the failures snowsleds have, hahaha. Aside from fouling a few plugs in cold weather I haven't had any problems and love the bike. It rules. I found out that to stop the plugs from fouling I turn up the idle screw a few turns before I start it and then go through the regular procedure. After it's warmed up a bit I return the idle to normal. I haven't fouled a plug in quite awhile.

• Boomer

Posted July 20, 2001 - 01:22 AM

I'm sorry - I just can not resist reading all this banter without responding.

Other than:

1) Breaking (weak) hubs
2) Cracking gas tanks
3) Breaking trannys
4) Foul carbeuration (sp)

...there is absolutely nothing wrong with this YZF.

A motorcycle released into mass production with WAY too short of field durability testing to assure reliability to the paying consumer. There are laws against what Yamaha has done - one variation is commonly known as the lemon law.

Oh, did I mention my bike has 2 of the four failure modes listed aove - with just 10 play ride hours?

Good luck to us all.

Did I mention I had a 1993 YZ250 that I DID race, and never did a bottom end - 7 years worth of that and not a single problem.

Yamaha just estimated to me $1500 - $2000 to tear down my engine to investigate a clicking noise. Each time I read this site I wonder more and more why we don't take Yamaha to task.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 20, 2001 - 01:46 AM

You should try a different dealer for a price, that price is rediculious. I think your dealer just doesn't want to do it and they're trying to scare you off with a price. It's probably in your favor anyway, if they don't want to do it then they likely won't do a good job.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 30, 2001 - 07:55 PM

I have a 00 426 and I haven't had any problems with it yet. You do need to take good care of them and not abuse them, but what bike don't you have to do that to? Don't ride the clutch all the time, change your oil on a regular basis, and you're good to go. It's as simple as that!

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.