Having Second thoughts !

29 replies to this topic
  • Psycho426

Posted July 17, 2001 - 03:11 AM

I am getting My '01 YZ426f next Friday, I have ridden one and I absolutely LOVE IT!

But I am having second thoughts!! Reading about all the problems you guys are having (Drive Shafts clicking, Engines losing compression, Engines blowing up, Engines stalling for no reason, Losing gears) I am getting a bit worried :)

Are these bikes really that problematic ?
Can anyone put my mind at ease :D

• dhowell

Posted July 17, 2001 - 03:37 AM

Although I think some of the guys on the page ride more than I do, I have not had any problems with my bike (other than myself) and I love it. I got it at the end of January and I am only getting out every other week for about 3 hour rides if I am lucky. So far it has been rock solid.

Good luck!

• Psycho426

Posted July 17, 2001 - 03:54 AM

I will be riding about 12 hours a week (amount of time I am currently riding) I ride fairly hard but I'm no 'Tim Ferry'.

Is there something I can do to prevent these catastrophic failures (can't afford $$$$ so soon after purchase) ?

• WR_Jason

Posted July 17, 2001 - 04:30 AM

Change the oil, use the clutch, and keep the valves adjusted :) . Oh and I think those magnetic oil bolts may be worth thier weight in titanium valves :D . Alot of these guys race on tracks, any time you race, you will crash and stuff will break, if it dosent your probably not going fast enough :D

• Scott_F

Posted July 17, 2001 - 05:06 AM

Twelve hours a week is a lot. You might consider a full Hinson clutch, and change the oil twice a week. A K&P oil filter from Scott's, and Mobil 1 15w50 (non EC) (after break-in) from Walmart would also be good insurance.

• Psycho426

Posted July 17, 2001 - 05:24 AM

Yep, 12 hours is a lot but I live about 2km (about 1.2 miles) from the track, I ride 1-2 hours after work (before it gets dark) and 5-6 hours on weekends.

I am still a bit confused on the whole oil issue (I don't want to start the whole debate again) but If I'll have to change my oil twice a week I would have to go for The Mobil 1, It is going to cost me a fortune If I have to buy motorcycle specific oil every time.

Thax for the oil filter tip 'Scott F', think I'll purchase it with my bike and after break-in change it with the Mobil 1. :)

[This message has been edited by Psycho426 (edited 07-17-2001).]

• YZ400Court

Posted July 17, 2001 - 06:56 AM

Build 10,000 bikes and a few are bound to break!! My 400 blew up 3 times before I bought a KTM, but I bought the KTM for the button. I'd own another yamaha (426 not 400)in a second. The KTM 520 is pretty cool though.

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• yzernie

Posted July 17, 2001 - 07:24 AM

I have a solution for your concern. Buy two!! That way if one breaks, you will still have another one to ride!!

Ernie

• john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted July 17, 2001 - 08:02 AM

Hey, what's the deal with the Scott's oil filters? I've been trying to find some information on them without any luck.
Thanks,
John

• lou

Posted July 17, 2001 - 09:06 PM

Have you heard of the Fast and the Furious?The bike is damn fast and I'm furious!The 01 426 absolutely jams when it wants......it seems to have a mind of it's own.Some days it runs and others it fouls,backfires and is a pain to start.Judging from this forum the problem is most common with the 01' model.If I had to do it again; I WOULD NOT BUY IT.... wait til 02' is out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted July 17, 2001 - 09:49 PM

I haven't had any of these problems with my '01 to date, and on top of that it hasn't taken me more than a few kicks to restart it after a fall either. First start of the day is usually about 3 kicks, after that it's a 1 kick deal unless I fall in which case 2 or 4 (with the hot start pulled) seems to be the norm. So far I am extremely happy with my '01 and I would but the same bike again if I had the choice. :)

• WR_Jason

Posted July 17, 2001 - 10:42 AM

I kinda feel what your saying, One of my main reasons for getting a new 4 stroke was so I would not have to fuddle with it all the time. I often swore I would buy one and be done with it while cursing at my YZ 250 when it fouled plugs out. Honestly, not mixing gas is nice, and I have yet to foul a plug even after jumping into a lake :D. but dont think you dont have to screw with the carb any less than if not more than a race 2 smoke. I dont mind dialing in the carb cause I know for the most part, once I get it tuned that will be it. Thats what we get when you take a pure bread racer, massage the tranny and hang lights and kick stand on it for woods riding. I am happy with the bike cause I know its a high performance trail bike. The challenge is not to be able to get power from it, but to control the power and make the bike start and run reliablely. I dont mind the tune in cycle because I am patient and have this great site for refferance. As far as breaking the bike, I like knowing I am trail riding more or less the same bike the YZ guys are beating the snot out of on a regular basis. Go to the WR side and see how many fewer post you see about major motor failure. Then go to the YZ side. Honestly I would not by the bike if you dont plan on tuning it your self. I also tell people not to by a 2 stroke MX bike if you do not intend to rebuild your top ends your self at least. Yhea, changing the oil 2 times a week is going to be a pain. Its also the cheapest insurance you can get. The bike only holds like 1.3 quarts or something, so if you figure even 7 bucks a quart times 2 quarts a week times 52 weeks a year, its like $725 a year. Not to bad considering the price of motor parts, work and down time. By the way, I run plain 10 40 in mine for now. I will probably change to mobil 1 if its a good price at wall mart. I should just get it, I only put like 16 hours a month on the bike anyway :) , work sucks! so do the suburbs, I am quitting or moving or both!

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 17, 2001 - 10:57 AM

Just a minor correction, I believe it's 1.7 US qts after an oil and filter change (1.8 qts total capacity). I'm thinking of switching to Mobil 1 myself after hearing how many people are using it (it's about $4.50/qt at the local store here). Does it cause clutch chatter or grabbiness for anyone on an 01'?

• Jason_in_KC

Posted July 17, 2001 - 11:13 AM

I love Mobil 1, I get it at Walmart for 3.99 a quart, I change every 5-10hrs depending on riding, play or running hard on a track. Every time I change it, the stuff looks very good and you ask yourself "could this have lasted longer", but, its cheaper than a blown engine. My 01' has been flawless, winter jetting is tough, though I plan to do the BK carb modification and cure the extra richness. The clutch has remained smooth as silk and I've been on this bike since late October 00'.

• Amador

Posted July 17, 2001 - 11:14 AM

Dirtbikes are problematic. They get abused....hard! This is bike is no more prone to problems than any other bike.
buy it, ride it and be happy. If it breaks fix it. Just like any other bike.

• MXOldtimer

Posted July 17, 2001 - 11:30 AM

I've been racing my 00-426 since June of 00 and the bike hasn't missed a beat. The only problems I've had with the bike is a cracked tank , which my dealer replaced free even out of warr. and the clutch is grabby, until I figured out you only need to warm up the clutch a bit before using also I've had to change the fork seals, but thats normal and no big deal. I wouldn't be affraid of buying one if I were you, they're a rock solid bike,just keep fresh oil in it, ride it hard, and dont worry about what "MIGHT" happen. Once you learn how to ride a hyper 4 stroke you'll love it.

Doug

• MotoMan217

Posted July 17, 2001 - 05:27 PM

Originally posted by lou:
Have you heard of the Fast and the Furious?The bike is damn fast and I'm furious!The 01 426 absolutely jams when it wants......it seems to have a mind of it's own.Some days it runs and others it fouls,backfires and is a pain to start.Judging from this forum the problem is most common with the 01' model.If I had to do it again; I WOULD NOT BUY IT.... wait til 02' is out.

what makes you think the 02 model would be any better. my friend told me that from the first yz400 when it came out the bike has only gotton better. and alot of people have had great luck with them thats why ive put a down payment on a 2001 YZ426 and will be getting it sometime next week.

• Hick

Posted July 17, 2001 - 06:07 PM

Originally posted by lou:

Lou,

You need to fix your bike. You have a jetting, CDI, or TPS problem if it is as bad as you are describing. My ’01 runs better than my ’00 ever did, and WAY better than my ’00 on stock jetting. Based on what I’ve heard so far their doesn’t appear to be any convincing reason to wait on the ’02, either, so I definitely disagree with you there.

But I have heard of several people having their ’01 two-six intermittently run horribly just like you describe, jetting appears to have fixed one mile-high case, another guy needed a new CDI, which he was lucky enough to have a dealer replace gratis.

Life is just too short to put up with a poorly running bike, especially a machine like the two-six. Figure out what ails your bike first, then disparage it.

• Psycho426

Posted July 17, 2001 - 09:33 PM

Thax for the great response you guys, think I'll take the plunge. I have ridden it and I loved it and that should be all that matters!

BTW the bike is going to be stock accept for a new TAG metals triple clamp ant a TAG metals T2 bar, UFO frame guard and MotoTrix belly plate. I am gong to put on a DSP full Titanium exhaust system in three months time.

Also the model I will be buying is the Canadian version of the YZ (us here in sunny South Africa we only get the Canadian models)
I spoke to my dealer and a few guys here who own these bikes and they had no major problems...

So in about 9 days I'll be the proud new owner of a brand spanking new '01 YZ426F :)

• G-Man

Posted July 18, 2001 - 01:32 AM

Good get the 01 426, you will luv it!
I have Tag bars too with an Applied triple clamp that has rubber mounts for the bars.

It helps to reduce some hard hits and vibration IMHO.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.