2011 yz 450 f

33 replies to this topic
  • FZ1426

Posted November 10, 2011 - 08:18 AM

I have a 2011 Yz 450f that I love. Its a rocket! I raced it from August on after my Rm 250 tranny went. I stsrted actually winning a few motos because of the bike. I did however have an issue with the valve cover gasket leaking. It was a problem with the 2010 and they apparently fixed it bit there have been some cases of it happening on the 2011's.

I thought mine was leaking but it turned out to be excess filter oil dripping out of the airbox. I wonder how many people had this happen and thought it was the valve cover gasket leaking.

• Dingateer

Posted November 10, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Agreed... You could spend significantly less for something with a little seat time on it

Or save your money and just pay cash for something in a year or two

I hate debt

I like this guy. I'm not going to buy something at the retarded interest rate. i'm more interesred in a KTM 250 sx smoker anyway.

• Dingateer

Posted November 12, 2011 - 05:25 PM

I decided not to get a yz 450 f, got this instead

Posted Image
Posted Image

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 13, 2011 - 05:14 PM

I bought my 11 model back in September and paid nothing down but I got mine for $6500.00 OTD and Yamaha was running a 3.99% option for 36 months and that was what I took.

Hell!!!!.....if you're like me you can never save money cause of all the other things that pop up so if you want something you just have to finance it if ya want it.

I usually just finance them and while I'm paying on it I put my old bike up for sale and when it sells I just use the cash from it to pay the new one off or at least get it knocked down a lot.

If I cant sell my old bike .......the heck! I have 2 450's to ride. One to race with and the other to practice on. May take awhile to sell but eventually someone buys it.

• adamdf

Posted November 15, 2011 - 12:58 PM

I decided not to get a yz 450 f, got this instead

Posted Image
Posted Image

How do you like it??

I'm stuck between the 250SX and the 2011 YZ450. I am trying for either one of those, but haven't made my mind up yet.

So far, i think i'm going with the YZ450, but i really hope it handles better than my 09 KX450.

• Hurricane

Posted November 15, 2011 - 01:01 PM

How do you like it??

I'm stuck between the 250SX and the 2011 YZ450. I am trying for either one of those, but haven't made my mind up yet.

So far, i think i'm going with the YZ450, but i really hope it handles better than my 09 KX450.

If your worried about handling I would be more concerned with the ktm's handling over the yz.

• adamdf

Posted November 15, 2011 - 01:31 PM

If your worried about handling I would be more concerned with the ktm's handling over the yz.

Well what i really mean to say is "cornering". I know the KTM would corner amazingly with that light weight, but on hard packed surfaces i may struggle with traction.

The YZF, i know has had amazing suspension from 06-12. But my main concern is cornering ability. I had an 09 KX450 with 20mm RG3 clamps and suspension revalve and while it wasn't bad, cornering wasn't "fun" on it. The kawi is a big bike no doubt. I'm hoping the YZ450 would be better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hurricane

Posted November 15, 2011 - 01:53 PM

Well what i really mean to say is "cornering". I know the KTM would corner amazingly with that light weight, but on hard packed surfaces i may struggle with traction.

The YZF, i know has had amazing suspension from 06-12. But my main concern is cornering ability. I had an 09 KX450 with 20mm RG3 clamps and suspension revalve and while it wasn't bad, cornering wasn't "fun" on it. The kawi is a big bike no doubt. I'm hoping the YZ450 would be better.

I ride woods only but my 07 yz out handles any ktm I've ridden, but with that being said the newest ktm I've ridden is an 09' 300 2 stroke without linkage. I've heard the linkage really helps the ktms but I have not ridden one.

• jcm3

Posted November 16, 2011 - 11:16 AM

I bought my 11 model back in September and paid nothing down but I got mine for $6500.00 OTD

Wow, not bad. I paid $7500 OTD awhile back, but I know a bit of that was CA sales tax.

• sean3239

Posted November 16, 2011 - 11:24 AM

I love my Yamaha's. they have taught me so much about engine building. I received the last of my replacement gears yesterday so I can continue reassembling my engine this weekend. $1200 in parts due to a broken gear.

Ha, yeah, unfortunately me too. My 2010 has 72 hours on it and fifth gear came apart and subsequently many of the other gears too. I like em but third time I've had transmission problems on a Yami.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 18, 2011 - 06:30 AM

Wow, not bad. I paid $7500 OTD awhile back, but I know a bit of that was CA sales tax.

Yeah!.....I guess I got it for that since it had sat on the floor at the shop for a year and hadn't sold. My buddy that owns the Yamaha shop that I ride with a lot said he would sell it for that if i wanted it.......so i took it.

He probably gave me a good deal cause I buy all my YZ's off of him and have since back in 2003.

• Wes Woodin

Posted November 19, 2011 - 11:30 PM

Agreed, minimum amount to finance on Yamaha is 5K at the 3.99 at 36 mos.

• yamahakid88

Posted November 22, 2011 - 07:07 AM

well the reason i ask is because i had an 08 crf 450 that ate intake valves every 15 hours or so. after it was all said and done, the crank blew up and took out both engine cases. i'm just scared of having to make payments on a paper weight. but another thing that i should point out is that the crf had pro circuit cam and high compression piston, idk if that killed the reliability or not. also the guy that had it before me was some rich kid that got new bikes every year and he always bounced that thing off the rev limiter

hondas are known for chewing up valves, especially the 450's, my friend has an 09, and he has to shim them quite often, i havent had to do mine at all :lol: ride yami!

• Hurricane

Posted November 22, 2011 - 07:21 AM

hondas are known for chewing up valves, especially the 450's, my friend has an 09, and he has to shim them quite often, i havent had to do mine at all :) ride yami!

Also that bike sounds highly modified which translates into reduced reliability. My friend has been a die hard Honda rider forever and he has had nothing but trouble with 1 450 and 3 different 250f's between valve issues and starting. He ended up buying a cr250 2 stroke so he could stay with Honda..:lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.