Float needle constantly sticking

1 reply to this topic
  • nstyleh250

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hey everybody,
Over the past couple of months I have started to have problems with the float needle sticking on my bikes. It started on my 01 Raptor 660 and now my 03 yz450 is doing it too. I figured maybe it was because I was leaving the gas on so I tried draining the gas out when I shut them off but then they just stick open. So they stick open or closed. When I take them apart I have to soak the needles with some penetrating fluid and then pull them out with pliers. The raised portion of the jets are always corroded which is what is causing them to stick, A little emery cloth polishing and they are good to go. But if I let them sit a week then I have to do the whole process over again. Any ideas as to what is causing this? I was wondering if maybe the needles had some sort of coating that was wearing off and causing the corrosion. Should I replace the needles to fix it and if so where is the best place to get replacement parts like those? Thanks for your help guys!

EDIT: I should note that I only use 93 octane gas but I have been using the same brand for the past 10 years with no problems til now. So I don't think its the quality of gas itself.

Edited by nstyleh250, November 08, 2011 - 07:41 AM.
more info

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2011 - 10:23 AM

IMO, the fuel is the prime suspect. If you can find out when the gas staions in your area switch over to their winter blend, you'll probably find that that date coincides with the onset of your problems. Switch brands for a while or add Sea Foam to your fuel to see it the trouble goes away.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.